pictures of my owb I am building

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OP

Nice work! When you're not building owbs what is the shop used for? It looks like a shop I would like to have a few hours to do what ever in!

167570d1294498609-owb-006-small-jpg

Firebrick would do the trick I bet also. I questioned it because a friend of mine built his own OWB and had 1/2" plate for the door also, it was ok for awhile but began to warp and was'nt sealing. He wound up making a new door from 1/2" but added another 1/2" plate spaced off the door in the back about an 1" so far it's been fine for a couple years.
Good luck on the rest of your build, I give anyone alot of credit that likes to tinker with the trial and error to make their own heat! :cheers:

Going to put a 1/4" heat sheild on it hope this will do it

Nice handle design, the up/down should be easier than the push pull. What are your plans for insulation?

Hopefully the 2" insulation gives you enough R factor for your climate.

This is the style pipe I used Time Saver Pipe™ :: Pinnacle Supply LLC :: Your source for Time Saver Pipe™, PEX tubing and other components for the Hydronic heating and cooling industry.

I heat 3 buildings, one 140', one 120', and one at 80' from the stove. I have no ground water where the lines run so I went deeper than the standard 18"-24"s that's usually the recommendation, all 3 of my lines are 4' at least with sand under and a couple foot above. At most I only have 1° temp loss on the feed line, I'd say if you can't go that deep that the CB style pipe may be the way to go, but then again it's double the money.

Get ready for the pipe discussion! Ha!

Thanks
going to use 2" foam sheets,what do you fellows use for underground pipe to hx?

Thermopex, with as nice a unit as you are building, DO NOT go cheap... I sucked it up and bought this expensive stuff and have not had a single problem...

Nice unit, keep the pics coming..

just me but i think i would line the door with fire bricks inside angle iron to shield the door some...just my opinion....other then that excellent job....

Hopefully the 2" insulation gives you enough R factor for your climate.

This is the style pipe I used Time Saver Pipe™ :: Pinnacle Supply LLC :: Your source for Time Saver Pipe™, PEX tubing and other components for the Hydronic heating and cooling industry.

I heat 3 buildings, one 140', one 120', and one at 80' from the stove. I have no ground water where the lines run so I went deeper than the standard 18"-24"s that's usually the recommendation, all 3 of my lines are 4' at least with sand under and a couple foot above. At most I only have 1° temp loss on the feed line, I'd say if you can't go that deep that the CB style pipe may be the way to go, but then again it's double the money.

Get ready for the pipe discussion! Ha!

Thanks,Ilooked at outside heating website Hardy Furnace and I think they have the same pipe you are talking about,I think I will add bat insulation also over the foam

Don't skimp on the underground pipe. You'll regret it down the road. Its expensive......hell will probably cost more than what you have into your burner, but its worth it.

All the ones we have built we put water in the doors, never a warping problem, also spend the money on the good underground lines, we also have a company come to our shop and spray foam the outside before we tin them. The spray foam does cost a bit but definately notice it in less wood usage.

Hey not bad odds there! You could always add some liquid glass to the system once it's up to temp for some extra insurance.

Nice build!!! As the others have said, do not skimp on the underground pipe. I'm not looking to start an argument and I know the one guy had good results with the pipe he mentioned that is wrapped with the bubble type wrap but I also read where he mentioned no ground water problems in his area. I've used that pipe TWICE now and I have ground water problems in my area. It worked better when it was lying on the ground with the snow accumulating on it than it has in my water soaked ground.

Yup, I said twice......slow learner. The company gave me 100' free after the first stuff was found to be garbage...coulda planted flowers in February over mine. The second time I buried mine about 4' deep and ran it thru 6" schedule 40. I still have some problems with heat loss.

IF I ever have to do it again I'll spring for the good stuff and encase it in everything under the sun to keep the water out of it.

I can't wait to see your end result. Keep the pictures coming.

Ray

Back