Pictures of the Stihl MS362.... but for real this time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice vid. Doesn't look like your getting any vibrations at all. Is the av system that much different than the 361?

All springs w/ no rubber AV mounts, it really is smooth. I grabbed a 361 off the shelf and did a seat of the pants comparison and they feel pretty damn close weight wise.

Last edited:
oh is it? ok. I've never weighed it.
man i hate false advertising!
It's supposed to be against the law so us honest folk can compare apples to apples using an honest playing field.

Seems to me that most of the manufacturers fudge on the powerhead weight.

Every saw I have weighs more than the advertised weight for the powerhead. I had one that was 2 lbs heaver than advertised weight. It went back where it came from.

To some weight makes no difference,10 or 15 years ago it made no difference to me but now that I am going on 60 years young I have to look at weight.When I start cutting here in the fall I will cut on Saturdays and Sundays at least 8 hours a day and a heavy saw now is not what I want.Thats why I have a Snellerized 359 and my brand new NE 346XP(that's making a little trip tomorow to OHIO)Weight does make a difference to some of us and those that it doesn't can get a heavy saw.

Yep, I have to consider weight too. I'm now 67. Had to give up the 25 lb Dolmar 133.

The saw looks dead in the cut. Cool!
Now I gotta find something besides Stihl AV to talk smack about eh?:hmm3grin2orange:

How would you describe the power delivery in comparison to the 361?
More power is supposed to be there, but WHERE they put it and how easy it is to keep the saw there is what I find interesting.

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

The saw looks dead in the cut. Cool!
Now I gotta find something besides Stihl AV to talk smack about eh?:hmm3grin2orange:

How would you describe the power delivery in comparison to the 361?
More power is supposed to be there, but WHERE they put it and how easy it is to keep the saw there is what I find interesting.

Stay Safe!
Dingeryote

It has torque, it doesn't have the snap that the 361 but doesn't fall drop off in rpms under load like the 361, it just pulls.
I'm 270 pounds and was running the saw in 24"+ hardwood, and the only time it bogged was when I got saw dust in my eyes and accidentally put all my weight on the saw. And also the rakers were too far down, I had them ground for running on my 395XP and were too much for the 362, and chattered a bit and were a jumpy.

So what is the verdict?

It has torque, it doesn't have the snap that the 361 but doesn't fall drop off in rpms under load like the 361, it just pulls.
I'm 270 pounds and was running the saw in 24"+ hardwood, and the only time it bogged was when I got saw dust in my eyes and accidentally put all my weight on the saw. And also the rakers were too far down, I had them ground for running on my 395XP and were too much for the 362, and chattered a bit and were a jumpy.

Is it a winner? It looks it imho.

Interesting.
I hate to make the comparison, but it sounds like the description of the difference between a 372 and a 576XP. It must be a strato thing.

The 361 is a slightly "Snotty" saw with the power peak just wide enough to be somewhat easily learned, but still a bit "Peaky".

The guys that like a mellow wide torque peak should be happier, and it will be less work for some to keep the saw perking as they get tired.

A side by side with a 361 likely wont show the advantage of the extra umph, but I'll bet the woodpile will.;)

I hate Strato, but am glad to see some positives in the matter!:cheers:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Sounds like too many mistakes to post a "report"......:confused:

Anyway, the "snap" of the 361 sure will be missed badly by many users, at least it would for me, as that is one of my 361s main virtues (Euro one with "Andy" muffler). :censored:

I find saws with slow rev-up/trigger responce very annoying - and couldn't care less about "low-end torque", as cutting will be slow down there anyway.
For larger wood, use a larger saw (or a lighter touch/higher rakers :biggrinbounce2::laugh::laugh:)!

Last edited:
Sounds like too many mistakes to post a "report"......:confused:

Anyway, the "snap" of the 361 sure will be missed badly by many users, at least it would for me, as that is one of my 361s main virtues (Euro one with "Andy" muffler). :censored:

Today was the only day I have run it w/ the low rakers and that was for only about a half hour. I've got about 5-6 tanks through it so far since I got it last week, and will be putting a lot more time on it in the next few weeks.
It's a smooth running saw with a lot more grunt than the 361, it pulls a 25" bar in hardwood much better than a 361. It doesn't have any of the hard starting tendencies 361's do out of the box. The 362 feels smaller, and much better balanced. What time is it in Norway anyway?

Today was the only day I have run it w/ the low rakers and that was for only about a half hour. I've got about 5-6 tanks through it so far since I got it last week, and will be putting a lot more time on it in the next few weeks.
It's a smooth running saw with a lot more grunt than the 361, it pulls a 25" bar in hardwood much better than a 361. It doesn't have any of the hard starting tendencies 361's do out of the box. The 362 feels smaller, and much better balanced. What time is it in Norway anyway?

Feels smaller and better balanced?

Ya mean with the 25" bar, or just overall?

The extra weight and moving the COG around might have changed the balance point a bit, favoring the heavier bar.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back