pigg putty

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ba-1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Has any one use this stuff on the outdoor boiler to stop leaks? Have pin holes in side of
fire box wondering if anyone has tried this or any other product.

Weilders around only want to work new steel.

Has any one use this stuff on the outdoor boiler to stop leaks? Have pin holes in side of
fire box wondering if anyone has tried this or any other product.

Weilders around only want to work new steel.

If it has pin holes in it that means it's really thin and hard to impossible to weld, I would use a flux coated brass brazing rod and braze it.I have seen pig putty used on saltwater lines coming off heat exchangers.It works for a while, I don't know how high a temp it can withstand.One way to find out is try it and see.

Most epoxies are only good to 600°f but that might get you by if the patch isn't directly exposed to fire.

Any weldor worth a dam won't even try welding on steel that has been exposed to wood or coal fire. If you don't know what the steel is you're guaranteed to have problems even with 309 stainless. Brazing too is pretty much out of the question unless the metal can be completely cleaned.

You might try sheetmetal screws run into the firebox material.

Most epoxies are only good to 600°f but that might get you by if the patch isn't directly exposed to fire.

Any weldor worth a dam won't even try welding on steel that has been exposed to wood or coal fire. If you don't know what the steel is you're guaranteed to have problems even with 309 stainless. Brazing too is pretty much out of the question unless the metal can be completely cleaned.

You might try sheetmetal screws run into the firebox material.

You must be refering to union weldors!Any weldor worth his salt can weld anything but the crack of dawn or a broken heart.Metal you braze on ALWAYS has to be clean.

Back