Pimp my saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're looking to buy a saw and not spend a lot of money and also dont plan to use it a whole lot, then look on craigslist or ebay. You can find a lot of good, used saws for pretty reasonable prices. For example, i bought a near brand new MS660 with a 36" bar for 500 bucks. That is a 1600 dollar saw.

But, if you plan to use it a lot, then mine as well buy brand new. Thats what i did since i cut firewood for money now and even though it is a lot more expensive, i think it is better in the long run. But look for a good mid sized saw such as the MS360, MS361 and the 036 Pro. The 026 or 260 Pro would probably be just fine too.

260 is an awesome little saw. 280 is a good saw, too. But my 290 is a good saw as well. .....

I'd much prefere a 280 over a 290 - I don't really understand why anyone even consider the 290 - jmo......:greenchainsaw:

And the 026/260 is not that great, and surely not awesome, even though I like it - it is a museum piece, compared to the Husky346xp and 353 ......:greenchainsaw:

Money, Troll...And the fact not all saw purchasers use saws enough to appreciate the merits of a pro-quality saw. And they dont need to. The money they save by buying a cheaper saw like a 290 is worth it to them because the saw will not be used on a daily basis, maybe not on a yearly basis. That being said, i love my 260 Pro, I love 028's. But my 290 gets her done, too. Rock On Troll, love hearing from you!!:rockn:

I'd much prefere a 280 over a 290 - I don't really understand why anyone even consider the 290 - jmo......:greenchainsaw:

And the 026/260 is not that great, and surely not awesome, even though I like it - it is a museum piece, compared to the Husky346xp and 353 ......:greenchainsaw:

Not compared to mine, albeit not stock. Certainly not a museum piece. It will rock my stock 5100 each and every time.I'm not sure exactly what point I'm trying to make, accept Big Dave knows his stuff. Basically, old world German technology with a little tweaking can still take on the best of them including the Swedes. Let history repeat it's self. If not they will add on a ball bearing or two!:)
Jay

P.S. If you are wondering, I'm not German, I'm Irish.:hmm3grin2orange:
Jay

Jeeeez Sawtroll, you are sometimes a PITA :) . I have a colleague at work who has a 390, cuts more firewood with it than me with all my saws united, and he really loves that saw.

It's great value for the money, me think. Not everybody needs a pro saw.

PS. And the 260 is a far cry from being a museum piece. I would already have one if that were the case. ;) (for my collection)

Good morning Mr. Saw troll. How are you? Can I call you Saw? Fine. Oh, and you don't need to call me Mr. Joatmon, call me Jack.

OK, Saw. Ready to begin? OK. Just lie on the coach here and relax. That's it. Take a deep breath. Hold in in .... there .... now, let it out. Better?

Tell me about these unpleasant dreams you're having. Really? These nasty 290s are chasing you. And just as they catch up to you, you awake? How terrible. Oh, and call me Jack, OK? Now, how often do these dreams occur? Every single night? That must be very frightening. Yes, I understand, they had too big of a bar, 20s you say? Oh, and that nasty safety chain? I understand. You say dozens of them, old and new, clean and dirty? I see. And some are 029s? What's that. Oh, it's the old, even more terrible version of the 290? That must have been very bad.

Now, go back to your childhood and tell me about it. Oh, you grew up in the forest and remember all those big, beautiful trees as a wee lad, do you? And then. Oh, the forest started to get smaller and smaller? Really, with fewer and fewer tress? And do know why that is? So it was homeowners? And what do you remember about these homeowners, Saw? That had heavy, homeowner saw? Yes, I understand that homeowner means that not pro models? Calm down! Please restrain yourself, Saw. Nurse! Nurse! Please get the restraints for Mr. Troll!

There, are we better now, Saw? Yes, I know. We'll remove the restraints in a moment. OK, here we go. Better now? OK, let's go on. OK, I've got it, Saw, these saws are not pro grade. OK, yes all that nasty plastic, no wonder you were so upset in the forest. And the cases didn't split properly? I know ... I know ... that can be such a problem on rebuilds. And thge homeowners had extremely long limbs? And you really think their extra long arms were caused by dragging these heavy saws through the woods? Yes, yes, I'm sure that's true.

Now think back and tell me what you remember about those demon saws as you call them. OK, what's a farm boss? Oh, I see. And 029 was the model number? I see. And they changed the model number to confuse you? OK, please control yourself, Saw. Nurse! Nurse! Hurry, the restraints and I mean now! I don't know nurse, he just started chanting 290, 290, 290 and he wouldn't stop. Guard, take him back to his cell.

Saw, calm down, we'll talk again tomorrow ....

Jeeeez Sawtroll, you are sometimes a PITA :) . I have a colleague at work who has a 390, cuts more firewood with it than me with all my saws united, and he really loves that saw.

It's great value for the money, me think. Not everybody needs a pro saw.

PS. And the 260 is a far cry from being a museum piece. I would already have one if that were the case. ;) (for my collection)

:ices_rofl: - the 390 does at least have decent power for its weight (here in Europe), unlike the 290.......;)

Last edited:
Update, bought a saw.

Everybody hit it on the nose when they mentioned the 026/260. Thats the perfect saw, if you want a Stihl. Light weight, reliable, well built, and should be able to pull a 20 inch bar with no problem.

I say +1

Sad to hear about your dad, and what happened to the saw he gave you.
Welcome to the site.

I bought an 026 off ebay. Took a bit of a risk going used, and with an 026 (older :( ), but it has a new piston in it. I figured for the price I could afford a little risk, it will do everything I need it to.

You can't believe how much time I spent stewing over this, those Huskies are sure a nice saw for the money. And I love the features, the forced air and such, even found the cheapest place I could get em was up in SLC.

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

Stihl 026 (Hopefully it's in good shape)
Stihl 011AV (needs a carb, might part it)
Stihl 015T runs great, nice little light saw

Latest posts

Back