Pin Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohawg1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Tree guys cut down to big pin oaks in the city and my brother scored them cause he delivers mail . We started on it at 8 in the morning and ended around 9 pm. THey had already cut in legths to be slit but we had to bust it in pieces to be able to split. What a job but i think we got clos to 3 cords in both trees. I dont think ive split for so long at one time in my life. Im sore today just wrestling around the big pieces. Not sure what was worse busting the pieces up with a sledge hammer or wrestling around the big pieces to get anotherneath the splitter. All in all it was a good day with my brother and his boy and my dad..

good score.

i love pin oak.seems to dry faster than the other oaks but puts out great heat.low ash too.

NIce score. I like pin oak, too. I have, however, run into some that's pretty stinky when green (smells like cow manure when splitting), but it goes away when seasoned.

Last edited:
Pin oak is a red oak variety and makes good firewood. But, season it for over a year or it will hiss at you like a mean snake and make you wonder why you ever tried to burn it. Figure fall, 2010 unless you want to kiln dry it.

Pin Oak is one of my favorite woods to burn. Nice Score! 3 cords of wood was worth going after. If it was in town you didn't have to go very far off road to get it.

Where I cut wood the property has a creek running through the middle of the property. Usually large oak trees will eventually fall in the creek making it a logistic nightmare to get them out.

I got that red oak - dog poop smell in my backyard now too. It really stenches when you cut them. I much prefer the smell of white oak. Split a bunch over the weekend. The clear pieces were fun to split and broke right apart. 20"+ diameter, 3 or 4 wacks with a maul, you get that sweet thud and they are in half. Then they just fell apart with one hit. The crotch pieces do suck though. Got a few on them in the reject pile that need noodling.

IMGP7602Medium.jpg

I got that red oak - dog poop smell in my backyard now too. It really stenches when you cut them. I much prefer the smell of white oak. Split a bunch over the weekend. The clear pieces were fun to split and broke right apart. 20"+ diameter, 3 or 4 wacks with a maul, you get that sweet thud and they are in half. Then they just fell apart with one hit. The crotch pieces do suck though. Got a few on them in the reject pile that need noodling.

IMGP7602Medium.jpg

I like that pic. The rounds look like their on a forced march to the woodpile. Or like cows to slaughter.

Red oak whiff is an acquired taste. Like red hot peppers or chicks who dress Goth.

I've always reckoned that red oak smells like an old pair of tennis sneakers filled with four cheese Ragu. I've come to enjoy the odor. Smells like free heat to me.

Latest posts

Back