pines not free anymore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sctstoys72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
now this guy has to get a climber to take down 10 trees because they are in danger of his house,his fee is somewhere around $400 these white pines are 80 to 100 ft tall,would they be worth driving and hauling 60mi. from home. There is potential for twenty 30 ft. logs,i can haul 30ft,i can saw 30ft. Would white pine be good for timber framing in a home? There is alot more available that won't require a climber. Is it worth it?

My TF I cut and raise last summer is all Eastern White pine. It works easily and is fairly stable compared to some hard woods.

kfhines

sounds good,i'm trying to figure out if they are worth it,i'll have to get a buddy to haul them if i cut 30ft logs,lots to consider.

Wait, your PAYING 400 bucks for 20 (no way you'll get 30 logs from from ten 80' trees) small pine 30' logs?? Thats maybe 6000 board feet of wood.. Around here the mill pays $250 per 1000bd/ft of small diameter pine delivered to the mill... The fallers/haulers want $350 per 1000bd/ft to take it to the mill..

I'd offer the guy nothing for hauling off those logs.. Your doing him a favor.

I thought from your original post that the guy was paying $400 to have the trees dropped, which sounded really low..

Last edited:
Log Homes and Timber Frames

now this guy has to get a climber to take down 10 trees because they are in danger of his house,his fee is somewhere around $400 these white pines are 80 to 100 ft tall,would they be worth driving and hauling 60mi. from home. There is potential for twenty 30 ft. logs,i can haul 30ft,i can saw 30ft. Would white pine be good for timber framing in a home? There is alot more available that won't require a climber. Is it worth it?

I worked for TN Log Homes for awhile several years ago. I know they use White Pine in 95% of their log home kits. Most log home manufacturers in the Southeast do. Timber Frames were mainly Douglas Fir trained in from the North West of course. I am milling some 40 year old white pine now, and have some hard woods to get after. So many trees, so little time. Hope this helps, and let me know if need anymore information. Have a blessed day.

He's wanting me to pay 400 to have 10 trees dropped,80-100 ft,22" at big end,theres more available like them for free that don't require a climber. This is what kind of info i'm looking for, i think i read somewhere that DF was stonger than WP.

Last edited:
DF is close to twice the bending strength, stiffness, compression strength of just about any pine. DF is ridiculously strong and cuts kinda like hardwood.

It's true you have to design (size) your frame members with the strength characteristics of the species you want to use. Traditionally Timber Framers used what was available locally, trucking timbers clear across the country was not an option. A lot of DF is being used for Timber framing it makes a very nice looking frame with clear straight grained timbers.

kfhines

My great grandfather built a huge barn with TF standards cut from cottonwood. It stood for over 100 years and was finally pushed down. The TF portions were still perfectly intact, however 20 some years of manure buildup from my great uncle blew the walls out, and the lack of maintenance killed the outside. He died well into his 90s.

Mark

going this weekend to actually see for myself what this guy has,bringing home some shorter logs for free that has fell or been taken down some time ago.

Be sure to bring your camera so we can see.:popcorn:

This is my first free load,the best pines are in the lot behind my trailer,however,you can't hardly even walk thru the brush on the floor,about 7 in the back of the house,i've got a 18" 14ft,smallest around 12" on the trailer,it was 144mi round trip.

Latest posts

Back