Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the saw is white with the red holiday on the air filter cover.

I just emailed him again and asked if it would fit an 1100 instead of holiday. Maybe he thought i was asking about a holiday 2?

Do all the P series use the same sprocket?

Last edited:
Since this is the Pioneer thread then I guess this is the best place to ask. Where is the best place to pick up a good rebuildable pioneer 800 for a fair price?:greenchainsaw:

Hello Hoss

That's quite the bad ass avatar you have there!LOL!
It's good to see you on here for a change, and Welcome.
Hmmmmm! Where to find a Pioneer 800 project? I would say start with pioneerguy6000 (Jerry).I have a 750,that I am going to tackle one of these day's.Keep us updated in your search please.Hoss are you not a Homelite guy!
Lawrence

That's quite the bad ass avatar you have there!LOL!
It's good to see you on here for a change, and Welcome.
Hmmmmm! Where to find a Pioneer 800 project? I would say start with pioneerguy6000 (Jerry).I have a 750,that I am going to tackle one of these day's.Keep us updated in your search please.Hoss are you not a Homelite guy!
Lawrence

Actually to be fair i am really just a BIG SAW guy. I also had a couple of real nice pioneers that I never could get the parts to get them like I liked. I had a RA that was clean and ran like a champ, but in three years of looking I could not find a top cover for it. Then I had a nice complete running 700, but it just didn't seem to be quite as strong as I thought it should be (though to be fair I didn't have another one to compare it to) and I couldn't find a piston and rings for it. I sold them both, but if I run across any of the big pioneers I am always lookin at them as long as they have good compresion and are complete or I have already located the parts it needs. It seems like it is harder though to find rebuild parts for those nice big vintage pioneers. I'd love to have the gear drive version of the 700 or an 800, even some of the later model geardrives have caught my eye recently.

Hoss

Hoss, If you find an 800 i would make sure it
is complete. The 800 is about as rare as the
Skil 1690 you just got. I can't imagine parts
can be found easily. In my search for large caliber
saws i have only seen 2 800's for sale in the past
few years. One was on ebay not that long ago and
the one i found in Australia last year.

Good luck

Lee

Hello everyone. I have an old pioneer chainsaw and I'm looking for a good source for parts or if anyone here may have any. It looks like all I need is starter mechanisms for this thing. The bowl that goes on the flywheel, for the starter to engage, is completely smothe and the mechanisms won't engage it and turn it over. Is this a common thing?

It looks as though I'll need some friction washers for the starter assembly, because the padding on one of them is completely gone.

Alright, so I started to tear into my P60 (1979 model according to the tag) to do a simple fuel line and carb rebuild. I decided to completely tear the saw down to do a thorough cleaning and R&R on it when I hit a few snags. I figured I'd ask my questions here.

First, the fuel tank has a white residue all over the inside walls. Is this what happens when fuel sits in the tank? Do I need to split the tank open to clean it out? Is the gasket between two halves even available anymore, or will I need to cut my own?

Second, what size/type of fastener is used to hold the cylinder on? I assume that they're allens, but I currently don't have any long enough to reach down in there.

Third, are the AV mounts replaceable/available? I have one stubborn (partially stripped by the PO) slotted fastener in the front of the trigger handle that I'm not sure will come out. I'm contemplating tearing the rubber and replacing it if that's an option.

Fourth, according to my research this saw takes a bar using D007 mounting? Is there a modern equivalent, or am I stuck looking for used/NOS/reconditioned bars?

Last edited:
Splitting the case would be the best way to clean it, but I don't think it's necessary. You can drain the old gas completely out, remove the bar and whatever else you want to shed some weight. Use a small size gravel (like fish tank gravel) put about a cup or two into the tank. Put the cap back on and shake the heck out of it for as long as you can. The longer you shake it the cleaner it gets. Dump it all out, then use an air compressor to blow out the tank completely. Make sure you get it all out. I would replace the fuel line and filter in the tank while your at it.The allen cylinder bolts are 3/16". All gaskets and av mounts can still be purchased new. The rubber av mounts unscrew. There are no bars being made to fit the Pioneers currently. A site sponsor, chainsawr.com, has many older bars that will fit right on your saw. A D-009 bar mount can be easily modded to fit the P-60. There are a few members here that may have the parts you need.

Last edited:
thank you for the wellcome...!!!
I'd like to tell something about me on this forum but I don't know were...

Welcome to AS! :cheers:

If you plan to spend most of your time in the Chainsaw Forum, then that would be a good place to start a new thread introducing yourself.

Alright, so I started to tear into my P60 (1979 model according to the tag) to do a simple fuel line and carb rebuild. I decided to completely tear the saw down to do a thorough cleaning and R&R on it when I hit a few snags. I figured I'd ask my questions here. I decided to

First, the fuel tank has a white residue all over the inside walls. Is this what happens when fuel sits in the tank? Do I need to split the tank open to clean it out? Is the gasket between two halves even available anymore, or will I need to cut my own?

Second, what size/type of fastener is used to hold the cylinder on? I assume that they're allens, but I currently don't have any long enough to reach down in there.

Third, are the AV mounts replaceable/available? I have one stubborn (partially stripped by the PO) slotted fastener in the front of the trigger handle that I'm not sure will come out. I'm contemplating tearing the rubber and replacing it if that's an option.

Fourth, according to my research this saw takes a bar using D007 mounting? Is there a modern equivalent, or am I stuck looking for used/NOS/reconditioned bars?

Welcome to the site Splasher.
The white residue is most likely caused from condensation in the magnesium tanks of these saws, make saure to get it cleaned up well and inthe old mag saws it is best to keep something in the tank if it is going to be stored for long periods. Varsol works best for a storage liquid to keep condensation from forming, or store the saw in a heated building so condensation is not a problem. Sharp crushed stone around 1/4" works wonders to clean up the tank, if you have an air source you can set up a bubbler to agitate the gravel for you or just shake the tank vigoursly a couple dozen times , it is tiring so just do it for as long as you can. Take a rest and repeat as often as necessary to polish up the inside of the tank.
You will not need a gasket but they are not hard to cut if you ever do need one, may be hard to find an NOS one.
The AV mounts can still be found for the big P series saws, unless you have the speciality Pioneer big mount removal tool then tearing the rubber off and turn out the metal plate with the stud that turns in, a pair of needle nose pliers will suffice.
The other questions have been covered so good luck with your project, they are a good saw.
Pioneerguy600

Welcome Splasher and peppone69

I see the welcome wagon has already replied to you two,there's just so many good fellas here,you will become enlightened for sure.
Lawrence

Thanks for the welcome, and thanks for the advice.....I've got the carb rebuild kit on the way, and I'll take some pictures once I start making some progress. I need to find a new drive sprocket assembly before I decide on a B/C combo, the one on my saw is pretty trashed.....

Can I just use the Husky type de-comp valve (I think mine's not functioning properly) or do I need to search for a Pioneer specific one? I'm not afraid to drill/tap a different thread pattern if that's required. Could I just plug it off while I search if I need to use a Pioneer specific valve?

And lastly, is there a preferred paint that's both durable and matches well to the OEM Pioneer color? I was thinking of using engine enamel but I'm not sure if that's the best application for a saw.....

Latest posts

Back