Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cool

thats the kind of info that I need, and some generous donors to the pioneer preservation society!!:hmm3grin2orange::msp_thumbsup:

What would be the acceptable ring gap on this one and the out of spec too, its a thin double ring

Man, that saw was run hard. If you could find a farmsaw for a donor you would have a lot of parts...a/v mounts, top handle etc.

Farmsaws are cheap and they made millions of them.

I got one parts farmsaw here and got a line on another. The AV mounts can be bought new. Something like 5.50 each.
I seem to have run into alot of smaller pioneers these last few weeks. Need to get pics put up and show the haul.
Bob

I got one parts farmsaw here and got a line on another. The AV mounts can be bought new. Something like 5.50 each.
I seem to have run into alot of smaller pioneers these last few weeks. Need to get pics put up and show the haul.
Bob

I'm always looking for spare whatever for p40/41 types. Or parts saws.

Tried to find a exhaust for the P20 with no luck, so i decided to make one instead.

a>

316 stainless with a titanium cover :rock:

Farmsaw has a plastic recoil and uses the same parts as the smaller p series saw.

525 has the metal recoil and good starter like a p40/41 and up.

thats the kind of info that I need, and some generous donors to the pioneer preservation society!!:hmm3grin2orange::msp_thumbsup:

Them cracks through the switch and choke are a common thing with these saws. I believe I have 3 handles in the shop like that. The good thing is, everything you need can still be ordered from any Poulan dealer. There are a few places you can order online. Brake parts are hard to find used, the people that have them don't want to part with them. I'd try to find another top handle used, as already mentioned the top handle is the same from the P40 on up including farmsaw. The P60 and up will have the hole in the handle for the manual oiler.

Them cracks through the switch and choke are a common thing with these saws. I believe I have 3 handles in the shop like that. The good thing is, everything you need can still be ordered from any Poulan dealer. There are a few places you can order online. Brake parts are hard to find used, the people that have them don't want to part with them. I'd try to find another top handle used, as already mentioned the top handle is the same from the P40 on up including farmsaw. The P60 and up will have the hole in the handle for the manual oiler.

So Ed, what your saying is that any NOS brake clutch covers are a rare find?
Bob

watchin a couple of top handles on ebay, how bout that ring gap, got it stripped and cleaned, I like the made in the usa on the cly base!!

My 1200 is now John Deere yellow.

Which is a few shades darker than Pioneer yellow.:rolleyes2:

Hey, I asked you fellers what rattle can color to use.

Pics in a couple days, still going back together. I put used Roper 3.7" rings in it (1.8125" bore x 1/16" thick).:msp_sneaky:

Ring gap of .009-.010 is near new, much over .020 is worn out.
Thanks for the reply :msp_thumbup:and some more questions,
does this go for the thin rings with flat ends(no radius for index pin) also what kind of compression would be typical and how do you know when the reed needs replaced, also would the 'Farmsaw' clutch cover fit and if not a direct fit would it make a good donor for internal chain brake parts .
Thank you in advance Jim

does this go for the thin rings with flat ends(no radius for index pin) also what kind of compression would be typical and how do you know when the reed needs replaced, also would the 'Farmsaw' clutch cover fit and if not a direct fit would it make a good donor for internal chain brake parts .
Thank you in advance Jim

If your piston has the centered ring end pins with flat ends on the rings then the ring end gap is much wider. I don`t have the specs for your saw, the P41 to P51 had ring end service gaps of .088- .108. I could not be sure of your saws specs.

Thank you in advance Jim

Farmsaw clutch cover will not fit.Your saw is a Pioneer/ Partner P52CBW according to the id tag. That clutch cover would have to come from the P50 or P 60 series saw, the Farmsaw is the same as the P40 series. Looks like that top frame has been replaced with a later one from the 525 Poulan Pro( same basic saw).

So Ed, what your saying is that any NOS brake clutch covers are a rare find?
Bob

Yes and no, seems like there are plenty covers out there. The parts... bands and hardware etc never appear on ebay. But, you can still buy everything new from Poulan.

Yes and no, seems like there are plenty covers out there. The parts... bands and hardware etc never appear on ebay. But, you can still buy everything new from Poulan.

Is there a good place to buy new stuff online Ed?

Is there a good place to buy new stuff online Ed?

You can get most parts from Baileys. Just type in the part number in their search box. There are several others also, any place that sells Poulan. PoulanPro.com is pretty good.

Pioneer P50

I picked up this orphaned P50 about a month ago, it was run over by a tractor. I'm going to try to weld up the the hole in the gas tank. The cylinder is missing a huge piece of plating and is garbage. Luckily the piston is in good shape. I'm on the hunt for a decent P50 cylinder and rear handle.
I also picked up a load of gaskets for the older pioneers if anyone needs something.
Thanks Kevin
2011january002.jpg

2011january005.jpg

Latest posts

Back