Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took the plunge and bought my first Pioneer. My Partners saws are going to be ######off. Might have to build another bench to keep them apart. Been lookin for awhile but nothing reasonable or interesting popped up. I don't have it yet but came from eBay but only 100 miles from me.
Its a P42 western, been used and has issues but a runner, Has a dual outlet muffer,
So whats different about the Western besides full wrap. And will a PP455 p/c bolt on? I hear its a one year only model 1983 before Poulan started them in pp series and orange paint.

Thanks
Duane

I was thinking of buying that one. You got a good deal despite the case issue. The Western model has the full wrap, rear exit muffler, and on the larger P's the large dual dogs. The p42 only has provisions for one dog. Most Westerns had a larger bore carb also. The dual port muffler is not original. They added the outer cover with the outlet. It should have a solid outer cover, the rear exit is the proper one. The 455 top will bolt right on.

Also the Pioneers and Partners get along just fine, I got a bunch of both. LOL

Last edited:
Pioneer P42

I was thinking of buying that one. You got a good deal despite the case issue. The Western model has the full wrap, rear exit muffler, and on the larger P's the large dual dogs. The p42 only has provisions for one dog. Most Westerns had a larger bore carb also. The dual port muffler is not original. They added the outer cover with the outlet. It should have a solid outer cover, the rear exit is the proper one. The 455 top will bolt right on.

Also the Pioneers and Partners get along just fine, I got a bunch of both. LOL

I figured the price was right. I didn't care about the case patch, I didn't want a shelf queen this time, I want to use one and watch everyone say what the hell is that!!!! Case cracks or leaks don't bother me there easy to weld or patch/seal. I didn't realize till after I bought it that its newer and kinda nice being it uses Poulan parts. pp455 stuff "SEEMS" to be available, Cylinders are dirt cheap right now.
Since I live in Wa. and the saw is here too! I have found almost everyone I buy is NOT STOCK!!! we'll see, mufflers already modded!!

Thanks for the info

Duane

I wasn't under the impression that he was going to try and start the saw with the decomp disabled. I wouldn't try and run one without it either with all those plastic pieces. But pulling the rope slowly three or four times to check compression is a different thing.

I have a couple of them here that would strip the starters even trying to do that to them, the comp is so high that they would/ already have, stripped the white nylon spiral pinion. When Tom asked about checking compression I pictured him disabling the comp and then reinstalling the recoil to then pull it over many times with a compression tester screwed into the spark plug hole, that would be just like trying to start the saw. That is why I put up the red flag....LOL

Hello everyone! I have a friend that asked me to work on his mother's 1074 for him.The saw sat for the last 20 years or so. I first changed the fuel lines, then rebuilt the carb. I made new intake manifold gaskets, and checked the compression - 152psi. The saw will start and run for about 20 seconds then die off. When choked and restarted, the saw won't idle, or rev up without a lot of prodding. I'm gonna do a vac/pressure test but i need to know if the gaskets/seals can be bought anymore?

Hello everyone! I have a friend that asked me to work on his mother's 1074 for him.The saw sat for the last 20 years or so. I first changed the fuel lines, then rebuilt the carb. I made new intake manifold gaskets, and checked the compression - 152psi. The saw will start and run for about 20 seconds then die off. When choked and restarted, the saw won't idle, or rev up without a lot of prodding. I'm gonna do a vac/pressure test but i need to know if the gaskets/seals can be bought anymore?

Seals can be found at any bearing and seal supply outlet like Motion bearings, I use them a lot. Gaskets are scarce but can sometimes be found, easy enough to make them from appropiate gasket materials.

What spark plug would be in a 1074? It came from a friend with a KCJ-7Y. Collector corner says CJ6. Some posts and a spec sheet I saw says CJ8... Which one is right?:msp_confused:

1074 vac/pressure test

The service manual says cj8 for the plug... So do I have to remove the valve and plug the decomp port to vac/pressure test the 1074? The decomp is blowing bubbles when pressurized at <5 psi. I cannot get a vacuum to hold. If it does need to be plugged can anyone tell me the thread pitch to speed up the process?

The service manual says cj8 for the plug... So do I have to remove the valve and plug the decomp port to vac/pressure test the 1074? The decomp is blowing bubbles when pressurized at <5 psi. I cannot get a vacuum to hold. If it does need to be plugged can anyone tell me the thread pitch to speed up the process?

Trust Jerry, CJ6 is the plug that came with the saw. Try cleaning your decomp valve and then check compression. Carbon deposits can keep the valve from closing. Good luck

Okay, I will use the cj6. I am still having problems with the decomp. I tested the compression before anything else and came up with around 150psi. the decomp will not seal. I have thoroughly cleaned it. There is however a noticable spot when I turn the valve when it is seated that the turning becomes easier? It also seems to seal better there, but still not completely. Can I use lapping compound to make the seal tighter? Is there valves still available somewhere? This saw is driving me nuts... :dizzy:

Pioneer P42 Western looks to be a P41 W

So my P42 Western labeled saw that runs but has no compression looks to be a P41W. The rings are burnt up! no scoring but ring gap is 1/8" the rings don't even keep contact with the walls but runs ok! all works nothing broken.
No place for the tag under the saw not even rivet locations never had one, no serial number anywhere.
two piece ignition. everything cast 1983, SDC carb

So is there ANY interchange for P/C for this? I'm thinking NO?
rings are thin rings 1.875 dia same as Poulan 3700 so looks like I'm toss'n them in the running it. So much for building a Boost port saw!!!

Any info would help.

Duane

Needing some help!!!!

I have 2 springs, both from a poulan 655.
These were working when I removed them for cleaning.
Went to re-install them and they won't hold tension!
They look SPRUNG. But I am fairly new at this as to diagnosing starter springs.

Can you guys tell if they are shot?
(looked at other springs in my 455 and they are tight till the last winding. Is this way too much slack???)
Thanks guys!!

CIMG3845.jpg

So my P42 Western labeled saw that runs but has no compression looks to be a P41W. The rings are burnt up! no scoring but ring gap is 1/8" the rings don't even keep contact with the walls but runs ok! all works nothing broken.
No place for the tag under the saw not even rivet locations never had one, no serial number anywhere.
two piece ignition. everything cast 1983, SDC carb

So is there ANY interchange for P/C for this? I'm thinking NO?
rings are thin rings 1.875 dia same as Poulan 3700 so looks like I'm toss'n them in the running it. So much for building a Boost port saw!!!

Any info would help.

Duane

Two piece ignition would be a P-41 yes, 42 has 1 piece. P/C's are a lot easier to find for these than for the 50/60 series saws.

This should be your rings...

Jacks Small Engines Search

I have 2 springs, both from a poulan 655.
These were working when I removed them for cleaning.
Went to re-install them and they won't hold tension!
They look SPRUNG. But I am fairly new at this as to diagnosing starter springs.

Can you guys tell if they are shot?
(looked at other springs in my 455 and they are tight till the last winding. Is this way too much slack???)
Thanks guys!!

CIMG3845.jpg

Matt, they both look fine to me. One is a little bent, but I see no reason why both shouldn't work.

Matt, they both look fine to me. One is a little bent, but I see no reason why both shouldn't work.

Guess this shows my little to NO knowledge of the P60-655 series saws!
The starter recoil spring assembly faces down ward(open side down) in the rewind cover.
All my other saws I have worked on, the open face faces upward, even on the 455!
Man what a learning curve.

Were can I grab 1-2 wrist pin clips for the 655?
Bent the snot out of one, well enough not to trust it.
Thanks guys

Back