Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
P62, I'm jealous, yours has wheels. :) You are correct, about the oil tank, oh well,have to find another parts saw. I kind of like the idea of a baby blue P60 GTG saw to go along with my PP 655 BP.

Jim, If you want the wheel assembly for your Target saw, I'd be happy to send you them. Or the blade guard... or any other parts.
I have a bunch of those Target saws.

You can make it into a saw. They do have the oil tank, divider and mounts for the oil pump.
You'd have to drill and tap the plugged area for the oil fill cap, then add a worm gear and oil pump.

Last edited:
Ed: Jim has a stripped carcass of a PP 525. Would the crankcase & crank accept the top end of the Target?

(I know it's 82cc because I tore it down looking for good P-41 p&c untill I noticed the bore size. Duh!)

Yes it should. The only thing to check is the wrist pin diameter. I can't remember for sure if the 525 has the smaller pin like the 655. I'm thinking it does not, but I'll check my 525 stuff tomorrow to give you a 100%.

If the bearings are good in Jim's 525 case it would be the easiest to put the 6 cube top end from the Target saw on that. (providing the pin diameter checks out) The Target flywheel would have to be used with the Target top end as well. If the bearings are shot on the 525, I most likely have an extra P60 case half he can put on the Target saw to eliminate the need to drill out for an oil fill cap. Either way, it can be made into a 6 cube chainsaw if desired.

Last edited:
Jim, If you want the wheel assembly for your Target saw, I'd be happy to send you them. Or the blade guard... or any other parts.
I have a bunch of those Target saws.

You can make it into a saw. They do have the oil tank, divider and mounts for the oil pump.
You'd have to drill and tap the plugged area for the oil fill cap, then add a worm gear and oil pump.
Ed I don't the need guard and wheels right now, as I really want to convert this saw if possible. I plan on doing the fuel system first and see how it runs out. If it checks out, then I will run down the parts for the oiler system. I also have to check out why it lost fire.

Ed I don't the need guard and wheels right now, as I really want to convert this saw if possible. I plan on doing the fuel system first and see how it runs out. If it checks out, then I will run down the parts for the oiler system. I also have to check out why it lost fire.

Jim: It likely has the electronic ignition. They don't make much spark at cranking speed. Had a heck of a time with the two P-41's from Mark.

OTOH, the P-40 with points makes fat spark.

Guys, I'm looking for a P50-62 blower cover in good shape. Need the recoil spring anchor pin to be in good shape. The screen can be bent, broken or missing. I'm doing another build.

Jim, I did some checking, the 525 uses the wrist pin as the P60. It would probably be easiest to just put the P60 top end from your Target saw on the 525 case you have. Everything would be a direct bolt on. You'd have to use the p/c, coil and flywheel from the Target saw on it.

Jim, I did some checking, the 525 uses the wrist pin as the P60. It would probably be easiest to just put the P60 top end from your Target saw on the 525 case you have. Everything would be a direct bolt on. You'd have to use the p/c, coil and flywheel from the Target saw on it.
Thanks for the info Ed, I'll have to check out the box of parts and see what I have.

Quick question for the experts:

I just got a 3/8" tip from Eccentric (Thanks again Aaron!) for the 36" Windsor bar on my P60, just wondering what the correct DL count is? I could count links on the .404 chain if it helps. I'd stay .404, but it's just not stocked locally.

I've got 7 and 8 pin rims, not sure which one will work better. Guessing 7 on a bar that length though?

Quick question for the experts:

I just got a 3/8" tip from Eccentric (Thanks again Aaron!) for the 36" Windsor bar on my P60, just wondering what the correct DL count is? I could count links on the .404 chain if it helps. I'd stay .404, but it's just not stocked locally.

I've got 7 and 8 pin rims, not sure which one will work better. Guessing 7 on a bar that length though?

Steve, mine's 105 DL on the Oregon bar I use. You could always grab a larger loop and measure around.

Steve, mine's 105 DL on the Oregon bar I use. You could always grab a larger loop and measure around.

Ted, isn't that a 32" bar link count? I'm looking for 36"? Eccentric thought 116, but wasn't 100%. The .404 chain is 105 DL or theoretically, 84.84" = 116 DL of 3/8" (using .365" instead of .375" for 3/8).

I don't have any longer chains, my next longest is a 110DL 34"er. Based on my math, I think I'll go with 116, can have a link taken out if needed.

Latest posts

Back