Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be Pioneer Sunday.

Got up early and swapped out some seals in the P41. I was surprised how nice they were given the age. I had some SKF 5606 and they went in just dandy. Threw on the hand guard I picked up. Finicky carb it seems. Idles a bit better now. View attachment 568051 View attachment 568052

Looks good Cory. I was surprised to find a large SDC on my Farmsaw. I had to put a kit in to get it running for the coil test.
What's on your 41 for a carb?
I think they used a few different ones.

Looks good Cory. I was surprised to find a large SDC on my Farmsaw. I had to put a kit in to get it running for the coil test.
What's on your 41 for a carb?
I think they used a few different ones.

HS-147D on the 41. The one Farmsaw I checked had the same. Can't say what's on the other. I find the L setting on the P41 fussy. Set at the suggested 1 1/8, it is lean and the idle rough. At 1 1/4+ the idle smooths out and relaxes, but it tough to restart unless the idle speed is set pretty high. Almost need to set the lock to restart. That, or I am pulling like a girl.

Put some sea foam in the fuel and run it through the saw and let it sit for a few hours.

I've had more issues with HS carbs than all the others put together. When they're right, they're good

Thanks for checking

I wonder why so many suppliers had many different models and two or three suppliers. Maybe the carb guys were unreliable or often had labor issues.

Nice survivor Pete, hope it has spark. Someone dropped one of them off at my place 4 -5 years ago and I never heard a word about it ever, guess it will soon be mine...:)

ive baked the coil twice, worked both times 2-3 wk. gonna try tims china fix

I guess we're going to see how long those Chinese modules work. If they turn out rotten at least there's a Husky coil to fall back on.

got one on the way $7.50. usd, shipped.

I have found other interests and avenues to spend my time on and put chainsaws on the back burner for a while. Still wrenching on heavy equip and outboard and marine engines and drives. Lots of mechanical work now that I own a tractor and a backhoe plus operate earth moving gear. No hibernating for me but all my chainsaws are still running without any problems.

I have been smitten by a couple yellow and green Pioneers!
Now on the watch for a P41 hoping to find one as nice as the P51 and P61 that live at my house now.
That 51 has a desire for better chains so am currently building a chain sharpener to get all my chains in tiptoe cutting condition.
When I file now it is tedious, no2 they always cut in a curve no3 I get to design a sharpener around an angle grinder. Reason being a cordless grinder makes
sharpening in the bush possible. Went milling with my son in law on the weekend and had a great time. He is milling with a 62cc husky, gotta show him old school grunt and let those Pioneers sing. Having lots of fun here in sunny Alberta.
Walter

Sharpened five chains of various conditions and the diy chain grinder worked fantastic. Then when setting up to grind the depth control gizzes the importance of having the chain centerline directly below the center of the grinding wheel. Made a new base 1/2" longer and we are in business. Filed the first guide with an Oregon depth gauge, set afresh flat wheel to the same height and ground one chain. Cannot imagine trying to file all those cutters and depthers
Hope to do the rest tomorrow and then go cut some wood with the old Pioneers
Fired up 650 not and the starter is now reluctant to catch. Will do the same notch job as on no2 as that works fantastic. The pals engage in 2" of rope every time!
Walter

Latest posts

Back