Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a P62 series concrete saw, there is a plug in the oil cap hole, Can you pop this out and is there threads in the case half for the oil cap? anyone know this answer? the halves are already split as well.
10537c6231f676de1fc1149d48b8e7ac.jpg
This has me curious cause from what I read it was said that you can't convert a concrete saw into a chainsaw. From the looks of it you should be able to do it long as you can get the cap out and there is threads for a oil cap. I would put some heat to it and see if that cap will come out. It might just be held in with some type of adhesive and the threads hopefully.

This has me curious cause from what I read it was said that you can't convert a concrete saw into a chainsaw. From the looks of it you should be able to do it long as you can get the cap out and there is threads for a oil cap. I would put some heat to it and see if that cap will come out. It might just be held in with some type of adhesive and the threads hopefully.
i have had the case halves side by side with NOS chainsaw halves and they are identical except for the cap.

I'd be interested is seeing some more pics of the rest of your remote throttle setup when you get the time.

How'd that saw running for you?
I'll get some more pics for you this weekend. I haven't run the saw yet. I'll be tuning it hopefully on Thursday. I need to richen it up while I cut some maple.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

l pulled this Choke shutter off my SDC carb which is off a P52 Saw, l think bubba may have tinkered with it in the past. Original one in pic left side which l believe is the correct one.
Has any one expierienced this modification?

Attachments

• SDC _003.JPG
    SDC _003.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 21
l pulled this Choke shutter off my SDC carb which is off a P52 Saw, l think bubba may have tinkered with it in the past. Original one in pic left side which l believe is the correct one.
Has any one expierienced this modification?

I'm pretty sure I have one exactly like it that was on an SDC 53. I'm going to have to dig that out now and look at it to make sure my memory is correct.

I got the carb in box of used Pioneer parts I bought. There were two SDC's in the box but only one had the notches on the choke valve.

I've messed with the carb but never have been able to make it run like it should. It works, it's just not right. But, I haven't tinkered with it too much either.

Hopefully someone knows what the purpose of this modification was.

The lpl shows that the choke shutter Part # is the same 430749 for all the 5 & 6 cube P-series including P42, 52, 62 saws.
This modification would appear to be non oem.

I'll bet there's a good reason for the mod and I'm betting more than one person knows why they did it.

I doubt you and I have carbs from the same random stranger that modified carb valves on big Pioneer saws. If so, we should be buying some lottery tickets.

Could also be a research and development trial and error thing. Totally agree its odd all of a sudden these are popping out now.
Lets wait and see what other members add to the mystery.
My shutter has on the backside in middle a perfectly angle cut on top centre. Has yours got that cut as well.

It certainly looks like they were cut with a saw. It's unlikely Walbro would let that out.
Between the two of them there's no consistency. Maybe someone on one of the saw sites passed along an idea and some followed.

I think the same effect would be done with an appropriate sized hole. Not sure what the person(s) were trying to accomplish.

Here's my theory -- Westerns used that little plastic intake tube - 3/4 ID. WJ-9 and some of the other carbs shipped with the big P-series had a 3/4 intake. SDC intakes -- some of them at least -- are 7/8 ID intake. The notches in the shutter allow it to work with the Western filter setup.

It's a theory... I've got a P-42 with a WJ-9 and the Western filter; and a McCulloch with an SDC -- I'm basing it on what I have seen on these 2 -- I've never had a close look at a P-62 or the like.

Sent from my SM-J120W using Tapatalk

Here's my theory -- Westerns used that little plastic intake tube - 3/4 ID. WJ-9 and some of the other carbs shipped with the big P-series had a 3/4 intake. SDC intakes -- some of them at least -- are 7/8 ID intake. The notches in the shutter allow it to work with the Western filter setup.

It's a theory... I've got a P-42 with a WJ-9 and the Western filter; and a McCulloch with an SDC -- I'm basing it on what I have seen on these 2 -- I've never had a close look at a P-62 or the like.

It would be a better theory if I measure the plastic tube to see what the true ID of it is -- I remember it seemed like a perfect fit, but I didn't have the calipers out -- I'll measure it.

I know about the 3/4 WJ-9 vs 7/8 SDC because I just finished fitting my McCulloch with a v-stack and was shocked to discover the choke wasn't doing to work in 3/4 ID hole. ( I think both are 3/4 on the engine side -- they use the same size intake gasket anyway.)

I just did some measuring and my new theory is that I try hard, but I'm not very smart sometimes. I think the little plastic tube would have clearance for 3/4 or 7/8. And I'm not even entirely sure that the air intake side of the WJ-9 isn't 7/8, but I feel defeated enough for one evening and so I won't take it apart to measure and confirm my error. :)

I just did some measuring and my new theory is that I try hard, but I'm not very smart sometimes. I think the little plastic tube would have clearance for 3/4 or 7/8. And I'm not even entirely sure that the air intake side of the WJ-9 isn't 7/8, but I feel defeated enough for one evening and so I won't take it apart to measure and confirm my error. :)

Good thought though.

Good thought though.
Thanks. It might still apply if there was a lot of modification for sock air filter adapters going on -- but I don't know how widespread that really was. Hopefully the right answer turns up.

Latest posts

Back