Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian

I am patiently waiting to find an air filter cover for a 1073. I believe a 1074 fits and maybe even a 2073, not too sure. Does anyone know someone who has one?

:givebeer:

I am sorry to say I have one in Mint condition but can't part with it.Brian, we have all thrown are two bits in on this subject I think.I know that I and others are always in search for the plastic covers for the small Pioneer saws they are very rare.Oh you can find them,but when you usually do they are, chipped, scratched, or broken,they are a weak link.You may want to try ebay under Pioneer chainsaw parts some of the sellers specialize in small P series and small Pioneer saws.Good Luck To You!
Lawrence

I am sorry to say I have one in Mint condition but can't part with it.Brian, we have all thrown are two bits in on this subject I think.I know that I and others are always in search for the plastic covers for the small Pioneer saws they are very rare.Oh you can find them,but when you usually do they are, chipped, scratched, or broken,they are a weak link.You may want to try ebay under Pioneer chainsaw parts some of the sellers specialize in small P series and small Pioneer saws.Good Luck To You!
Lawrence

Maybe I should try to fix it, it has a crack running along a corner but not missing parts. Thank You for clueing me in on why I can't seem to find one!

Ok! I've painted the cases, replaced the fuel line, made a new gasket, sealed it w/ #2 gasket sealer, mixed up some gas, fired it up & adjusted the carb.

It runs great! Now to get a new chain. Then I'll post some photos.

Last edited:
What should be used for chain oil? 10W30? Should I soak the chain in oil overnight first?

Last edited:
DSCN0636.jpg

DSCN0637.jpg

DSCN0638.jpg

DSCN0639.jpg

Not perfect, but an improvement.:)

Looks good. Use chain oil. Motor oil will just fly off the tip, the underside of the bar where lube is needed will be dry.

Good Job P10

Well P10 that looks good,the P10 is a a nice looking little saw.I had a chance to pick one up but it just needed to much work.I would love to here that little guy run.
Lawrence

Need Help!

Hello Pioneer Fans!
I need help,well a little education is more like it.Could the Gurus please elaborate a bit on what does it mean when guys talk about stuck piston rings and low compression?Do the rings turn on the piston when it travels up and down?I would like to grasp this
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Rings don't turn.
Stuck could mean stuck in the groove on the piston, thereby not expanding and sealing under pressure resulting in low compression.

No, you got that backwards. It's more like the P10 is a Frontier painted yellow-green.;)

P52

I just did a little research and found out what the "Plus" means on the P52 Plus I got last week.

It has:
-a cylinder with the exhaust bridge removed and the blowdown dimension altered (exhaust port raised).
-a modified west coast muffler with larger exhaust outlet and larger holes in the baffle plates.
-a Walbro large bore SDC80 ungoverned carb.
-a reinforced foam air filter element.

I am wondering how it compares power-wise to the P62 of that year. I'll have to take them both out and see.

There was a kit available back then to convert a P52 Western to the Plus model. It included all the applicable parts including decals. The part number was 507476420.

Brendons Pioneer plus

Hi Brendon
You did a little detective work did you!Good information on your new acquisition to your already fine collection.Has your other Pioneer arrived yet, the one from the West Coast?The more information that we can let other Pioneer fans know all the better.
Lawrence

P41w

The P41 Western has arrived. I'm going to have to change the piston and cylinder though, they are both scored (it was missing the air filter!). The saw is complete and original and is in pretty decent shape otherwise. It looks as though it was not abused and has had fairly low usage for its age.

It's definitely worthy of a restoration of sorts. Here are some pics:

P1010293.jpg

P1010294.jpg

P1010296.jpg

P41 Western

Hi Brendon
The P41 Western looks pretty darn good to me Brendon.Way to Go! A little paint and polish, it will be right up there with some of your other treasures.I will get one of those big P series one of these days.AHHHH! Dreaming of Pioneers.ZZZZzzzzzzzz
Lawrence

Hello Pioneer Fans!
I need help,well a little education is more like it.Could the Gurus please elaborate a bit on what does it mean when guys talk about stuck piston rings and low compression?Do the rings turn on the piston when it travels up and down?I would like to grasp this
Many Thanks
Lawrence

Lawrence,

Let me try to explain, the way I see it. Stuck piston rings usually means that there is sufficient carbon build up around and under the rings that they lose there spring. That is to say, that when viewed thru the exhaust port, they will not push in and spring back. If they are held in, even a fraction, by dirty carbon build up, they will not form a good seal to the cylinder wall and you will get excess blow by-thus a low compression reading.
This can happen on rings with locator pins, and free floating rings. Best bet to clean them up, is to remove the rings and gently scrape the carbon deposits out. An old broken ring works well to get in the groove. Be carefull not to scratch or gouge the ring groove. It has been my experience that a piston soaked over night in gas or mix, will soften up the carbon and make it easier to remove.
If I have gotton any of this wrong.......someone will be along and correct me. Hope this helps.

Drew

Piston Rings

Thanks Drew for the information.Geez! Where would I be without you and the others and the others know who they are.
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back