Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P10

Hello and welcome, your P10 is actually a Frontier Mark I in disguise, marketed and sold by many companies including Pioneer. They are a fantastic little limbing saw and even make a decent climbing saw if one is careful with it. Mine (an actual Mk I) starts easily and the 1/4" chain makes fast work of most everything. The top cover is held on with slotted pan head screw that has 1/3" of 10-24 thread. The paint you'll need to have mixed for you.

Here is a pic of mine. Too bad it's not in Pioneer yellow:

P1010286.jpg

No prize for the smallest saw, but first prize for the great deal you got.

P.M me for the parts list. I also have a few parts for these.

Just a quick edit... it looks like you'll need a new top cover, yours appears to be broken around the holddown screw.

Brendon.

Last edited:
Went to a local chainsaw shop today. He has a used pioneer p28 for sale. He said it starts and runs good. He is asking $99.00 for it. I thought someone here might be interested.

Frontier

Propliner, your Frontier started life as a SKIL 1410 back in the 70's. I had one and couldn't wear it out- great little saw!

Warjohn

Hello warjohn
Great of you to mention the P28 on this thread,I came across one last year in really nice condition and paid $25.00 for it.I have pictures of it posted a few pages back on this thread.A used P28 for $100.00 seems way to steep to me,but someone who wants it may disagree.What does it look like?
Lawrence

skilsaw

Paniner, I have a nice writeup on these saws that says they were originally designed and manufactured by Power Machinery Corp in Vancouver, B.C. Canada in the early 60's. They were branded for a number of companies including Skil.

In '68 the Power Machinery Corp was purchased by Skil but stayed in Vancouver until '71 when the operation was moved to Chicago.

Ex-employees who remained in Vancouver formed Quadra Engineering and started manufacturing a nearly identical new saw with improved design... a project Skil decided not to persue.

In '77, Quadra was purchased and moved to Trail, B.C. and the company renamed Trail Mfg., hence the name "Trail" saw.

In '79 the gasoline division of Skil was purchased by Electrolux and in 1980 Trail Mfg. was moved to Huron Park, Ontario and then purchased by Electrolux as well. The new company name was changed to Emab.

To tell the two apart, the Skilsaw version has the sparkplug on the flywheel side and the Trail saw has the plug on the clutch side.

That is the story, it's kind of sad that Elux had to eat up so many great companies.

Last edited:
The only good way to get a close matchup on any of the Pioneers is to take a piece of the saw that has seen the least sunlight in to a autobody paint supplier and have them custom mix the can for you, they put it in spray/ rattle can here for us for around $ 15.00 Cdn.
Pioneerguy600

Lawrence,
The p28 looks decent for an old saw. I thought the price was a little high for that particular saw but I don't know much about pioneers. The saw just looked a little unusual to me.

I have a very low time Husky 35, re badged Frontier, which I purchased for 75 bucks. The guy said it would not start (it did) but I think he hated the noise. Mine has the chain brake so it was late production.I think I still have a NOS cylinder for it if anyone needs one.
I remember the P-28 well. It was a P-26 with a chain brake and anti vibe but few would pay the extra dollars for those features. Funny how times have changed.

P28

$100 is a little steep for a P28 unless it's in really nice condition. I did, on the other hand, seal a deal on a P41 Western today for $100 Cdn. (about $80 U.S). It may be one of the better deals I've seen in awhile. The guy didn't know that much about it. I'll post some pics when it arrives. I need to build another shelf now.

Thanks to Lawrence for the tip!

What's a 650 worth?

I had a guy contact me about a 650 he's looking to sell. I haven't seen the saw or even know if it runs. I'm just looking for a ball park min/max. Also are pistons/cylinders all compatible within the 600 series saws as well as an RA. Thanks

I had a guy contact me about a 650 he's looking to sell. I haven't seen the saw or even know if it runs. I'm just looking for a ball park min/max. Also are pistons/cylinders all compatible within the 600 series saws as well as an RA. Thanks

The condition of the 650 is all important to what its worth. A part saw would bring $ 100-150 on eBay, top shape mechanically and physically $300-400 CDN.
All pistons and cylinders are compatible with the saws you asked about.
Pioneerguy600

The condition of the 650 is all important to what its worth. A part saw would bring $ 100-150 on eBay, top shape mechanically and physically $300-400 CDN.
All pistons and cylinders are compatible with the saws you asked about.
Pioneerguy600

Thanks Jerry. I'm calling the guy tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he wants for it. I have to say I'm surprised that they fetch that much. I'd be holding off for the bargain. I'm busy with my RA Restoration anyway. I've had two other guys contact me about having old pioneer saws in the tool sheds but they are snowed in. Some prospects in the next week or so if this weather sticks around. Thanks again.

Thanks Jerry. I'm calling the guy tomorrow. It will be interesting to see what he wants for it. I have to say I'm surprised that they fetch that much. I'd be holding off for the bargain. I'm busy with my RA Restoration anyway. I've had two other guys contact me about having old pioneer saws in the tool sheds but they are snowed in. Some prospects in the next week or so if this weather sticks around. Thanks again.

Stuff on eBay seems to go for about 2-3 times what most people would spend on the item off eBay but if you watch the eBay sales and auctions like I do then it is not surprising to see the Pioneer saws that are not easily found and most consider rare and collectible go for . I have a friend down in Ohio, that sells through eBay, quite a few IEL and Pioneer chainsaws and he always gets 300-350 US for good condition and running saws.
Pioneerguy600

P41 Western

Hello Brendon and everyone else!
Brendon, glad you scooped up the P41,hope it's all good when you get it.Thanks for the kudo but I will feel better when you can really look it over.
Lawrence

Latest posts

Back