Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have put some time into thinking about whether to do just what you have suggested, but I figured that there are definitely more 750's out there than 850's (well there seem to be from what I have seen), and seeing as though I have the complete gear train, casings etc for another 850 - I am hoping it should be easy enough to assemble it using the parts from a 750.

I picked up the 750 today, and she looks to be all there. Will start stripping her down to see what the internals are like, and their suitability for the 850 program.

Here are the pics of the 750 as she stands today. She is an Australian labelled Pioneer, and as can be seen - has had a chip flap riveted to the clutch cover during its previous life. The muffler has seen better days, but will still work okay. The current owners father in law found the saw in a rubbish bin, and decided to save it from a certain death. Lucky for me!

That chip flap is OEM. The 700 clutch cover isn't setup for it, but the 750s has rivet holes.

All the parts you need will interchange. The differences between the 750 and 850 are the PTO half crankcase, crankshaft, gearcase, and wrap handle. The flywheel half crankcase, top end, rear handle, flywheel and ignition are all the same.

Chris B.

Pioneer recent history

I heard that Pioneer likely is owned by EMAB that is the parent company of Husqvarna. Last I heard of Pioneer was back when it was taken over by Poulan that in turn was taken over by Husqvarna. If this not currently correct anyone with updated info feel free to add to the saga.
Pioneerguy600

There is not a simple answer. To keep things simple I will refer to Electrolux and it's many different holding companies as Electrolux.
Electrolux acquired entire ownership of Pioneer Chain Saw Corporation in Dec, 1981.
reference: Electrolux purchased Husqvarna in Feb, 1978, Partner in Nov, 1978, Skil Chainsaws in 1979, Jonsered in 1979, and Trail Manufacturing in 1981.
Pioneer and Trail Manufacturing were combined in 1982.
In 1984 Pioneer and Partner products started to be marketed in NA as Pioneer/Partner.
Electrolux purchased Poulan/Weedeater in 1986.
Starting in 1986, selected Poulan, Pioneer and Partner products were marketed in NA as Poulan Pro. Pioneer/Partner brand eliminated.
Finally the remains of Pioneer was moved to Poulan factory circa early '90s.
Production of Pioneer designed chainsaws stopped in mid '90s.
A little over 3 years ago, Electrolux broke into two distinct corporations - Electrolux (basically appliances) and Husqvarna (basically everything that wasn't appliances).
Husqvarna Corporation has the rights to all the above brands, and more.

That chip flap is OEM. The 700 clutch cover isn't setup for it, but the 750s has rivet holes.

All the parts you need will interchange. The differences between the 750 and 850 are the PTO half crankcase, crankshaft, gearcase, and wrap handle. The flywheel half crankcase, top end, rear handle, flywheel and ignition are all the same.

Chris B.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the information. Just checked the ipl for the 750 and found the riveted flap as you explained. I dismantled the cylinder last night and managed to get it free. It looks good, with no damage or scoring evident. The piston is not in real good shape - a broken ring has damaged/distorted the ring lands quite heavily, so I am now on the lookout for a replacement piston and a set of rings. The other option is to machine the lands to accept a thicker ring, but will try to find a replacement first.

They are interesting machines these pioneers, and I am enjoying working with them.

Regards,

Chris.

Alright guys I have a question. Lately I have been having pretty good luck finding/building the big six cube P series and poulan decendants. I just finished a P60 and a P61. I retro fitted the multi part ignion from a P50 onto the P60 which had no spark, then added rings and a hone now she runs great and is pushing about 155psi and i'm hoping for more as the rings seat. The P61 just needed a carb rebuild. Anyway now I have a P60, two P61's, P62, poulan 655 pro and a poulan 655BP. My question is, are there any saws in this family that I don't have yet and should be on the lookout for to finish out the line? Four of the saws have full wrap handle bars and large spikes and two have the regular spikes and half wrap handles. The P60 has a W on the clutch cover and has the large spikes and a very wide full wrap handle (wider than the other three full wraps), are these common? Thanks for any input guys.

The W stands for Western and is quite common out here on the left coast. There were two P62s, The first was all pioneer and the same color as the P61, not very many of those were made, most were the yellow Pioneer/Partner version.

She Ride's Again to Rule the West!

I like the pictures Pioneeguy600 posted on the 600 teardown especially the repair of the coil with epoxy. It sure worked for me. With the coil mounted so close to the cylinder, I'm not surprised the original coil coating turned hard and flaked off. I have a notion to install a heat shield between the coil and the cylinder. :clap:

View attachment 175812View attachment 175813View attachment 175814

Last edited:
I like the pictures Pioneeguy600 posted on the 600 teardown especially the repair of the coil with epoxy. It sure worked for me. With the coil mounted so close to the cylinder, I'm not surprised the original coil coating turned hard and flaked off. I have a notion to install a heat shield between the coil and the cylinder. :clap:

Nice one Mickey. The old 750 I just pulled down has a similar problem with its coil. There are some huge cracks in it, and so will have to look into whether it is still okay and effect a similar repair as to Pioneerguy600.

Just getting ready for another big turbine outage at Millmerran - a couple of 425MW units up there. It will be a C inspection, with HP/IP/LP cylinders, and Generator. Hope all is well over there.

Regards,

Chris.

Nice one Mickey. The old 750 I just pulled down has a similar problem with its coil. There are some huge cracks in it, and so will have to look into whether it is still okay and effect a similar repair as to Pioneerguy600.

Just getting ready for another big turbine outage at Millmerran - a couple of 425MW units up there. It will be a C inspection, with HP/IP/LP cylinders, and Generator. Hope all is well over there.

Regards,

Chris.

Thanks CM. If the coil isn't shorted or open, I'd take a Dremel with a fine burr and gouge out the cracks being careful not to dig down to the wire and fill the ditches with epoxy. Won't be fancy but should work. Wish that white stuff we have on the ground would run to the river!! Goball

A word of caution to anyone putting a heatshield under the coil, don`t restrict the airflow from the flywheel fan on that side of the engine to the cylinder fins, You know the result. Aging has more to do with the resin on the coil cracking.

A word of caution to anyone putting a heatshield under the coil, don`t restrict the airflow from the flywheel fan on that side of the engine to the cylinder fins, You know the result. Aging has more to do with the resin on the coil cracking.

You are quite right. I was just a thought at this point & I have to study the space and logistics before proceeding. :cheers:

This saw is getting better and better. I am really digging the 700, glad I picked up another. Link.

Chris B.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HhVJm4NfXbU?hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HhVJm4NfXbU?hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

any one know what a p51 and a p60 are worth? both are running and in fair condition. Dad needs something lighter. any help is appreciated.

Latest posts

Back