Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P42

Well my P42 arrived today and I want to switch the .404 chain to 3/8. I thought it would be easy to go on eBay and buy a rim but all I'm seeing are .404. Where can I locate a 3/8 x 7 rim? I wanted to go 3/8 with a 24" bar instead of .404 with a 28" even though it's at least a new Oregon skip chain. I have't seen a 24" bar yet either but at least I know it's a D007 mount I'm looking for. I don't have a clue what size rim I'm looking for. Also does anyone know what the serial number tag model marking means? It's P42 FWS-S, just curious.

Well my P42 arrived today and I want to switch the .404 chain to 3/8. I thought it would be easy to go on eBay and buy a rim but all I'm seeing are .404. Where can I locate a 3/8 x 7 rim? I wanted to go 3/8 with a 24" bar instead of .404 with a 28" even though it's at least a new Oregon skip chain. I have't seen a 24" bar yet either but at least I know it's a D007 mount I'm looking for. I don't have a clue what size rim I'm looking for. Also does anyone know what the serial number tag model marking means? It's P42 FWS-S, just curious.

Not sure if this will work for yours but my P51 has drum PN 475080P and I believe yours PN 475081

An oregon power mate rim 3/8 X 7 pin fits mine perfectly.

Not sure if this will work for yours but my P51 has drum PN 475080P and I believe yours PN 475081

An oregon power mate rim 3/8 X 7 pin fits mine perfectly.

Well, I'll buy one and try it. Won't cost much. Thanks.

Just thought I'd try adding a pix.
jezuqe2e.jpg

Poulan Pro Pioneer P52

I was given a Poulan Pro Pioneer P52 by my uncle. It was given to him by a retired local logger. Im having a new reed block assembly and oiler pump put on it. Great running saw. Im curious about its value. It appears to be the "western" model but not marked. Full wrap bar and no chain brake flag. I dont know a whole lot about these saws and was hoping somebody could shed a little light on what I should ask for it, or if Im better off keeping it. The only reason I am thinking of selling is because I had intended on using it for an alaskan mill, but I dont think the max bar length of 36" will be enough .

Condition is a factor, but id ask about 175-200.

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you for responding. It's in great used condition. Not a brand new old saw(like some of the others I've seen on here), but runs great and nothing is broken. That price is about what I was thinking and for that, I'll keep it. Just put over $200 in parts on it and that isnt counting what the shop will charge when he is done.

Thank you for responding. It's in great used condition. Not a brand new old saw(like some of the others I've seen on here), but runs great and nothing is broken. That price is about what I was thinking and for that, I'll keep it. Just put over $200 in parts on it and that isnt counting what the shop will charge when he is done.

Easy to put more in these old saws than they will bring. I do it all the time! :laugh:

Farm Saw Starter- Swap with a P-41?

My son just bought a Farm Saw in very good condition for $25! New fuel line and filter and he has it running smooth. He did have an issue with the pull start/recoil, which he fixed. I did a search for him on this forum and it seams the Farm Saw starter mechanizm is problematic. I also read that the Farm Saw is the homeowner version of the P-41, which I've never seen here. If so, can the more reliable starter housing and internals be swapped from a P-41 to the Farm Saw w/o much modification? I would have thought that this swap would have been mentioned if it was doable.

Also, he'd like a felling spike for this saw. Anyone have one they'd part with, or at the least , a part number so I can talk inteligently to someone who may have one? PM me if you have a spike.

My son just bought a Farm Saw in very good condition for $25! New fuel line and filter and he has it running smooth. He did have an issue with the pull start/recoil, which he fixed. I did a search for him on this forum and it seams the Farm Saw starter mechanizm is problematic. I also read that the Farm Saw is the homeowner version of the P-41, which I've never seen here. If so, can the more reliable starter housing and internals be swapped from a P-41 to the Farm Saw w/o much modification? I would have thought that this swap would have been mentioned if it was doable.

Also, he'd like a felling spike for this saw. Anyone have one they'd part with, or at the least , a part number so I can talk inteligently to someone who may have one? PM me if you have a spike.

The part number is 473645.
Here's a link to an IPL that one of our site sponsers has on their site.

Update Please read my recent prior posts

This post is not intended in any way shape or form to advertise any items for sale,I want to make that clear to everyone,Thanks.
I would just like to let you guys know that I do not have any big P series saws in my collection.
I'm not a saw mechanic plain and simple otherwise I would have never started this thread in the first place,LOL
I do have Pioneer 600 and maybe 650 parts saws that maybe could become runners.
I also have some Homelite saws and some other makes as well.
I may not be too speedy in my replies but have paitence please I'm going through a bunch of issues right now as I have mentioned in recent posts and Family is coming first.
I have some small Pseries saws maybe could become runners maybe not,maybe just part saws.
Anyone who would like to see pictures could have a look at previous posts on this thread that I have pictured.
I could also email pictures if you would like to PM me your email address,
Many Thanks
Lawrence

farmsaw recoil

The recoil from the p41 will fit with no problem on the farmsaw. The issue is that the flywheel will also have to be changed as well as the ignition coils. I'm not sure if the p41 ignition will fit on the farmsaw cylinder.

For Lawrence

I am looking for a tillotson carb from one of the following models. Either a 410, 450 or 550. I need it for a model 400 that has a Brown carb on it. Trying to get this saw running for a friend of my son's. It was his grandfather's saw and he would like to be able to use it. As long as it is rebuildable it will be fine. Thanks, Chris

@ Ozzie2:
I can't answer your specific question. I can offer some help.

In petesoldsaw's signature are many IPLs and OMs (FarmSaw is in there). I suggest you download anything you think you might ever need. The OM that came with my FarmSaw is in there too.

Tidbit 2.
Poulan bought Pioneer many years ago. When they did they took Pioneer's part numbers (FarmSaw bucking dog 473645), and prefaced them all with 507 (FarmSaw bucking dog became 507473645). Many of these parts continued on the Poulan line and are still available. My Scottish heart won't allow me to pay a premium if not necessary.
Lou
I have 2 FarmSaws but only 1 take up spool (the weak link 430609). Neither have spikes, I never found them needed.

eBay P42

I think I've finally learned my lesson about buying eBay merchandise. I bought a roller nose bar last week, poor photograph but was described as being in good shape. Seller just wanted a larger bar. It was far from being in good shape in my eyes with chips out of the rails and such. This week I received my P42 and it looked decent. It started and ran but I was a little disappointed in the power. I thought maybe my 655BP and P445 just had me a little spoiled. I decided to pull the muffler to paint it and was very surprised at how badly the piston was scored. Certainly wasn't described as a "parts saw or fix it upper" and the price didn't reflect that it was. So if any of you guys have a good piston & cylinder for sale shoot me a pm. I need a set as I'd like to put this saw back "right" even if it doesn't make sense financially.

Thanks,

Gerry

Latest posts

Back