Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recoil from the p41 will fit with no problem on the farmsaw. The issue is that the flywheel will also have to be changed as well as the ignition coils. I'm not sure if the p41 ignition will fit on the farmsaw cylinder.

Great feedback. This is why I like to come to AS.
Given that Pioneer saws are rare in this part of Indiana, I doubt that I find a good donor saw with the right parts. We'll just have to maintain(keep cleen) the recoil mechanizm and make this saw last him for a while. Thanks to all for the quick replies.

Pioneer Chain break Rivet Tool

DSCF1282.jpg

DSCF1283.jpg

Just got this in the mail this week! never saw one before and thought I needed it. Fits in very well with my collection. Should clean up easy

Wow, talk about over built! Looks like 3/8"plate!
Yes sir 3/8 plate. All joints are continuosly welded, not spotted, The handle will pull out another 5 inches.
Wondered why the shipping was a bit high. Now I know. Sure is a lot bigger then it looked in the picture.
Works great.

Another sweet find, Jeff. Looks near mint, I never seen or knew Pioneer had them in their arsenal, not in any of the literature I have
I was glad to get it. Been on a dry spell for a month or so. I show it listed in a 1972 Pioneer Saw Service Parts List. new cost was $42.50 They also show a smaller hand held unit vise grip style. Will have to keep lookin for a pair of them.

Chain breaker and spinner

I have one just like it, but the punch is broken on it. Haven't been able to find a spare punch anywhere. I got it years ago from a retired Pioneer dealer in Stratford. My literature and books do not show this tool anywhere. Would be nice to find a spare punch and fix it.

I have one just like it, but the punch is broken on it. Haven't been able to find a spare punch anywhere. I got it years ago from a retired Pioneer dealer in Stratford. My literature and books do not show this tool anywhere. Would be nice to find a spare punch and fix it.

I show a part number 473671 for the tool and it was sold to the dealers at net cost. They do not list any spare or replacement parts. Having the piece made at a machine shop might get pricey. It would need to be very hard tool steel.

I show a part number 473671 for the tool and it was sold to the dealers at net cost. They do not list any spare or replacement parts. Having the piece made at a machine shop might get pricey. It would need to be very hard tool steel.

You can have the part machined out of mild and then use a hardened insert for the punch. I'd make it a threaded standard insert of some sort. Then you can make an easy replacement when you bugger it up.

Actually... I'd probably use some one off piece that I'd never be able to duplicate....then have to redo the whole thing if it went bad. Cause that's how I roll. Lol.

Finding parts for the Pioneers make them even more appealing for me to own and restore them. I like the older full metal saws and have them starting in 1948 as the forerunner of Pioneer was known as IEL and they were based in Vancouver Canada. I have too many models to list but am very partial to the 600 series of which I have them all and they range from 1957 to 1965.My newest Pioneer was a model 1450 from 1966 but have just come across an orange Farmsaw in really good shape. All my Pioneers are running saws that could go out and cut wood daily and have been rebuilt mechanically ,some are NOS and others are hardly used. It took me years to source out parts and make friendships among other collectors that has enabled me to find what I needed to build my collection. So if you are not in it for the long run and expect it to cost a lot of money for parts you probably should not collect the pioneer saws as there is no Pioneer part stores as such with a big inventory of new parts. IMO.
Thanks Petesoldsaw for the heads up on my PM box,will empty it tonight. Pioneerguy600

I had a Pioneer 620 and I never IMO find this saw very powerful... The clutch drive was not big enough and the saw was bogging too much so even it was a nice pice, I sold it! Nice mechanic though...

I was glad to get it. Been on a dry spell for a month or so. I show it listed in a 1972 Pioneer Saw Service Parts List. new cost was $42.50 They also show a smaller hand held unit vise grip style. Will have to keep lookin for a pair of them.

Have seen the vicegrip style ones but don`t have one in my collection yet, just found another mint Pioneer filing guide and a measureing tape. Always on the lookout for anything Pioneer.

While looking through some of my Pioneer saw chain and bar guide books I came across a pict of that breaker P62 posted and the manual describes how to use it but no spare parts listed for it.

Last edited:
I see in the manual that this gear is an interference fit. I need to remove it to replace the seal. Do you use a puller or heat the gear up to remove it?

Thanks

Tim

Puller#0474329 is what Pioneer suggests to be used but any puller that can be made to catch the back end of the gear and the puller bolt pushing on the end of the crank would work.

Oil pump gear

I have always just pried them off with a screwdriver. Just have to work it around several sides of the gear, and take your time and don't pry too hard on any one point.

de0efb8dfecc15733bbdbcb218e7912e.jpg

Nice score Tom. :rock:

That breaker is great Jeff. :msp_thumbup:

Gerry, I believe I have a good P42 P/C.

Give me a week or so to check, with gun deer season open, this is my busiest time of year.

de0efb8dfecc15733bbdbcb218e7912e.jpg

Nice score Tom. :rock:

That breaker is great Jeff. :msp_thumbup:

Gerry, I believe I have a good P42 P/C.

Give me a week or so to check, with gun deer season open, this is my busiest time of year.

Ed, thanks I talked to Randy yesterday about the P/C that I need and he confirmed this morning that he had a good one. I very much appreciate you offer to help as you always do.

Thanks,
Gerry

Latest posts

Back