Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can think of is a tank vent but never seen one like it. Do you think it is meant for a Pioneer?

i got both of those parts in a Pioneer parts lot i purchased, mostly 1100 - P41 stuff. i know nothing about Pioneer stuff accept what you guys have taught me in the last few months.View attachment 284244

I have worked on a few Pioneers in my time but never came across anything that looked like either of the parts you have posted. I seen them in your original post a while back. The Pioneers were made back in the days when tank vents were still in the fuel and oil tank caps.

I have worked on a few Pioneers in my time but never came across anything that looked like either of the parts you have posted. I seen them in your original post a while back. The Pioneers were made back in the days when tank vents were still in the fuel and oil tank caps.

i really appreciate you trying, i did pretty good out of 34 parts, these are the only 2 i could not ID.

here are the part #'s of what i purchased any of them stand out to you? one sure did for me.

This 3071 seems to be a sort of bastard Pioneer. None of the others are quite like it. Piston oiler under the flywheel, plastic fuel tank sandwiched in a vertically split crankcase, inboard clutch and 65cc! Strange saw to offer a full wrap on. Anyway, compression is down on mine a bit, around 100 psi. But, it does start, idle and cut well enough. I'm hoping a set of rings will smarten it up. Parts for this thing seem few and far between. Luckily, I have the Tilly carb so no worries over trying to find diaphragms for an OMC carb.

Mine has, and the IPL shows, an oil indicator mounted in upper handle bracket. How is that thing supposed to work?

Saw shows the typical Pioneer paint loss. Makes the saw look worse than it really is.

Pioneer_3071_1_zpsb2fb3131.jpg

Pioneer_3071_2_zps0bbb24c0.jpg

Pioneer_3071_3_zpsb13f3ac1.jpg

Nice saw! I've got one just like it, but in better shape. Take a look at Mike Acres' listing for the late-model 3071, and you can see a few pics of my saw.

The 3071 is indeed an oddball. It was Pioneer's first model with electronic ignition, for one thing. Mine, like yours, is the late model, meaning that it has just one intake reed instead of six(!!!) on the early model -- a HUGE improvement. Mine pinches the mix at 145 psi, and it is a handful when it's angry. The saw -- early and late -- was only made for a couple years, and was replaced by the P4x series, which used the same basic engine.

About three years ago, I spotted a Craigslist ad, someone trying to sell a couple of chainsaws and a weed-whacker, price $10. I called the number listed and asked for directions, then asked, "That's $10 apiece, right?" "No, that's ten for all three," was the answer. The weed-whacker was a heavy-duty Homelite that I still use for the outback stuff; it had a dirty carb and a small hole in the muffler, which I was able to fix with a sheet-metal screw. The little saw was a Mac Eager Beaver 2-cube that I sold last summer for $60; again, dirty carb and rotted fuel line. The big saw was my beloved 3071.

Little by little, over the three years I've had it, I've tinkered with it, fixing one thing at a time -- leaky fuel cap, rotten fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, new chain, new oil lines, and so on. The final piece is in the mail right now -- the bucking claw, which wasn't on the saw when I bought it. I anticipate that the 3071 will be my primary felling saw starting this spring, taking over for "ol' blue," a fifty-year-old Homelite XL-12.

Pioneer 3071

Ah, the bucking claw came in the mail yesterday, and fit perfectly. Here are a couple shots of me little beauty, taken after we went out and cut a few dinner plates.

Pioneer3071002_zps1d698725.jpg

Pioneer3071001_zps335b5134.jpg

As you can see, mine has the semi-wrap front handle, which I VERY much prefer over the full wrap. (No disrespect to western saws, but I believe I'd take a hacksaw to a full wrap handle.) With the exception of a few machine screws, the saw appears completely original and complete, and I've kicked around the idea of a full restoration (it would be my first). On the other hand, I rather enjoy cutting with it, and it is by no means at the end of its working life!

The bar on the saw is a Pioneer 16" hard-nose, P/N 472142, 3/8" pitch and .058" gauge. I'd like to upgrade to an 18" or 20" sprocket-nose bar and chain, and keep the gauge, which makes things a bit tricky -- .058" doesn't hang on trees any more. But I think a 4+ hp 65cc saw deserves -- and can handle --those big meaty teeth. Anyone have a recommendation?

Last edited:
can't see pics

Ah, the bucking claw came in the mail yesterday, and fit perfectly. Here are a couple shots of me little beauty, taken after we went out and cut a few dinner plates.

View attachment 285208View attachment 285209

As you can see, mine has the semi-wrap front handle, which I VERY much prefer over the full wrap. (No disrespect to western saws, but I believe I'd take a hacksaw to a full wrap handle.) With the exception of a few machine screws, the saw appears completely original and complete, and I've kicked around the idea of a full restoration (it would be my first). On the other hand, I rather enjoy cutting with it, and it is by no means at the end of its working life!

The bar on the saw is a Pioneer 16" hard-nose, P/N 472142, 3/8" pitch and .058" gauge. I'd like to upgrade to an 18" or 20" sprocket-nose bar and chain, and keep the gauge, which makes things a bit tricky -- .058" doesn't hang on trees any more. But I think a 4+ hp 65cc saw deserves -- and can handle --those big meaty teeth. Anyone have a recommendation?

I think you may have to put a space between your attachments. I'm getting an error when trying to view.

Lee:popcorn:

Learning how to post pics only took me about 4 hours and some hair ripping to figure out. How are you uploading?

I've done this before on other sites without a lot of trouble. My first posts simply used the "insert image" button in the reply box. I later revised it to separate the two images. BOTH WAYS, I was able to see the photos just fine by clicking on either image name. This last time, I uploaded the pics to my Photobucket account and inserted their ready-made image code. AGAIN, I can see both pics just fine, only now they're not links in my post, but big pictures right in the middle of the post. I can quite literally just scroll down from this reply box and see my pics.

Are you still not able to see them?

I've done this before on other sites without a lot of trouble. My first posts simply used the "insert image" button in the reply box. I later revised it to separate the two images. BOTH WAYS, I was able to see the photos just fine by clicking on either image name. This last time, I uploaded the pics to my Photobucket account and inserted their ready-made image code. AGAIN, I can see both pics just fine, only now they're not links in my post, but big pictures right in the middle of the post. I can quite literally just scroll down from this reply box and see my pics.

No.

Generally, if you just paste the IMG code in photobucket into the reply text box it will be there it will be OK. Your link should look like this but will have the square backets on both sides of the IMG

IMG]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Fossil1/DSCF7950_zps1aee88c8.jpg[/IMG

From Photobucket you just right click on the pict you want to post, it will enlarge, then left click on that enlarged pict, select copy URL and right click on that. Go to the AS and click on the insert image icon in the top bar, a box appears and again click on the from URL for picts, drop down and see the green check in a box for retrieve remote file,clickon that green check mark to make it dissappear, then click on submit Reply.

Last edited:
No.

Generally, if you just paste the IMG code in photobucket into the reply text box it will be there it will be OK. Your link should look like this but will have the square backets on both sides of the IMG

IMG]http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww319/Fossil1/DSCF7950_zps1aee88c8.jpg[/IMG

Here is what I put in my earlier (edited) post. This is exactly how it is right now:

IMG]http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/tbone0106/Pioneer3071002_zps1d698725.jpg[/IMG
IMG]http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g463/tbone0106/Pioneer3071001_zps335b5134.jpg[/IMG

(As you did with your example, I left off the first and last outside square brackets.) Now, where am I screwing up, and why can't you see the pics in my earlier (edited) post? I can see them fine. They are not links now, but full-size photographs smack in the middle of my 6:22 P.M. post.

From Photobucket you just right click on the pict you want to post, it will enlarge, then left click on that enlarged pict, select copy URL and right click on that. Go to the AS and click on the insert image icon in the top bar, a box appears and again click on the from URL for picts, drop down and see the green check in a box for retrieve remote file,clickon that green check mark to make it dissappear, then click on submit Reply.

OK, we'll try it your way. First of all, when I right click on the PB image I want, it does not even appear, much less enlarge, but I do get a drop-down menu, in which I can locate an option "copy URL." I did that. Now, on the next line, I will attempt to insert the image as you have instructed.....

OK, I receive a message stating "Error: Invalid File."

Now what?

Here is what I put in my earlier (edited) post. This is exactly how it is right now:

Pioneer3071002_zps1d698725.jpg

Pioneer3071001_zps335b5134.jpg

(As you did with your example, I left off the first and last outside square brackets.) Now, where am I screwing up, and why can't you see the pics in my earlier (edited) post? I can see them fine. They are not links now, but full-size photographs smack in the middle of my 6:22 P.M. post.

I have no idea. I'll post one of mine up. I added the outer brackets onto yours and I see them in Preview Post. Now the Submit reply

IMG_0814.jpg

OK, we'll try it your way. First of all, when I right click on the PB image I want, it does not even appear, much less enlarge, but I do get a drop-down menu, in which I can locate an option "copy URL." I did that. Now, on the next line, I will attempt to insert the image as you have instructed.....

OK, I receive a message stating "Error: Invalid File."

Now what?

You will get that if you forget to click on the green check mark in the small box that precedes ,retrieve remote file.

Latest posts

Back