Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Which Pioneer is this?

pioneer_zps44e43a8c.jpg

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Here is a video of the 600 we have. it has a new 32" bar and full comp chain. I understand that's a lot of bar for an early 6 cube one man saw but, was wondering your opinion. Should this saw have alittle more power? it seems to be lacking. or would a skip chain be a must? if you notice the chain clogs up on the bottom cut. we only use it for large trees over 24" with this being the biggest yet around 30-31". usaually we run a 20-24" bar on it. that's my brother as he is the only one big enough to lift it!

[video=youtube;Hf48Nvcm-2A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf48Nvcm-2A[/video]

I was wondering if you guys could help me out. Here is a video of the 600 we have. it has a new 32" bar and full comp chain. I understand that's a lot of bar for an early 6 cube one man saw but, was wondering your opinion. Should this saw have alittle more power? it seems to be lacking. or would a skip chain be a must? if you notice the chain clogs up on the bottom cut. we only use it for large trees over 24" with this being the biggest yet around 30-31". usaually we run a 20-24" bar on it. that's my brother as he is the only one big enough to lift it!

[video=youtube;Hf48Nvcm-2A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf48Nvcm-2A[/video]

Is it a little lean? Don't think I heard it 4 stroke once.

Nice saw, though. Is it a resto or original condition? Hard to tell from video.

Chris B.

I gotta make it official and throw up pics of the 750 in its final form.

Chris B.

P.S. My impulse got the better of me, so I fueled the saw and fired it up. It was getting dark, so I'll dial it in tomorrow.

cbfarmall;Is it a little lean? Don't think I heard it 4 stroke once. Nice saw said:
It has a very sensitive high speed adjustment. I tuned it to the most power and then alittle rich right before the video. I may just have to get it home and do some vac/pressure and other testing before it turns into a paperweight. its an older restoration I did 4 years ago. we have cut quite a few logs with it but nothing this big, it has always performed well otherwise.

OK, this may be a stupid question, but here goes.

I recently picked up a Pioneer 650, that needed a total fuel system overhaul. Got the carb cleaned, and kitted. My question is, What goes in the glass bowl? The was what looked like a piece of window screen, rolled up, and stuffed into the port that comes from the tank, but that can't be what is supposed to be there,(really sloppy repair, i assume). I say this, becuase there is also the same material, wrapped around the pickup in the tank, and it is wired to hold it on.

Also, the chain that it came with, does not appear to be correct. If it is correct, Acres site shows this saw as using .404....it appears to have the original spur, and the chain measures at .375....and it is very jumpy.

This leads to my second question....How do i determine the correct DL count for this saw and bar combo? The bar is marked as follows: 473792 C
20 058
6 5
Pioneer

Edit: I found out what goes in the bowl.....a felt. got that on order. So that is one question answed

I recently picked up a Pioneer 650, that needed a total fuel system overhaul. Got the carb cleaned, and kitted. My question is, What goes in the glass bowl? The was what looked like a piece of window screen, rolled up, and stuffed into the port that comes from the tank, but that can't be what is supposed to be there,(really sloppy repair, i assume). I say this, becuase there is also the same material, wrapped around the pickup in the tank, and it is wired to hold it on.

Also, the chain that it came with, does not appear to be correct. If it is correct, Acres site shows this saw as using .404....it appears to have the original spur, and the chain measures at .375....and it is very jumpy.

This leads to my second question....How do i determine the correct DL count for this saw and bar combo? The bar is marked as follows: 473792 C

20 058

6 5

Pioneer

Edit: I found out what goes in the bowl.....a felt. got that on order. So that is one question answed

Looks to me like you should have 65 links of .404 x .058.

20 058
6 5
Pioneer

If you have a good filter in the tank, I can't see that the felt is really necessary. All the same, I grabbed a box of 10 when the getting was good.

Regarding the bar/chain, if you want to use 3/8 should be a 70DL, .404 should be 64DL for a 20" bar, according to the Pioneer b/c catalog. I assume your bar is hardnose. Finding .404 in .058 might be tricky, but it shouldn't be impossible. If you go the 3/8 route get this rim/drum setup.

Chris B.

I gotta make it official and throw up pics of the 750 in its final form.

Chris B.

P.S. My impulse got the better of me, so I fueled the saw and fired it up. It was getting dark, so I'll dial it in tomorrow.

Looks great ! Glad you posted it , I have a 750 I want to paint up. Someone already did a half arsed job on it. LOL Sure would like to find a better wrap for it,the one on its rusted . Least its mostly there to start with !

Looks great ! Glad you posted it , I have a 750 I want to paint up. Someone already did a half arsed job on it. LOL Sure would like to find a better wrap for it,the one on its rusted . Least its mostly there to start with !

Lots of nooks and crannies on this saw, but all worth it.

Chris B.

Back