Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a good filter in the tank, I can't see that the felt is really necessary. All the same, I grabbed a box of 10 when the getting was good.

Regarding the bar/chain, if you want to use 3/8 should be a 70DL, .404 should be 64DL for a 20" bar, according to the Pioneer b/c catalog. I assume your bar is hardnose. Finding .404 in .058 might be tricky, but it shouldn't be impossible. If you go the 3/8 route get this rim/drum setup.

Chris B.

Thank you,Sir. As luck would have it, I found a chain on the bay. Should be here in a few days. then she will be "whole" again...LOL

which pioneer is this?

pioneer_zps44e43a8c.jpg

p51

In my area .058 comes from the husky dealer. Everything else is .050 including Stihl. I have never seen a .063 gauge chain, I didn't know there was such a thing before I joined here.

Crummy picture of model RA by seller. :msp_thumbdn: Hard to tell much about it.

It looks complete.

attachment.php

Pioneer logo missing off top cover, as usual in your pict. That chrome Pioneer trim piece is rather hard to find.

IMG_3752.JPG

some just have the cast in Pioneer lettering,

IMG_1883.jpg

Last edited:
IEL R.A. from road trip.

Headed south to K.C. this noon and dropped Blondie in Grandview at her G.F.'s place and then continued on to Harrisonville, Missouri. Came back with this:

attachment.php

Oil tank cap is A.W.O.L.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

F.M. recoil starter won't catch, main bearings are shot and the compression don't 'feel' all that great.

Should be all kinds of fun rebuilding him.:msp_biggrin:

Headed south to K.C. this noon and dropped Blondie in Grandview at her G.F.'s place and then continued on to Harrisonville, Missouri. Came back with this:

attachment.php

F.M. recoil starter won't catch, main bearings are shot and the compression don't 'feel' all that great.

Mains are 6203C3, seals are common (I have the cross somewhere.) The piston is common with all the 600 series Pioneers as well as the littler 400 series, and 550--there's one on Ebay right now. Pioneer obviously changed the displacement with the stroke and kept using the same piston. Up till a week ago, I kept seeing NOS RA cylinders on Ebay. Doesn't look like it sold so you may see it again.

You'll need to locate a fuel bowl assembly--I'm sure any of the 600 series assemblies would fit. Some hacked up yours and stuck a fuel line straight into the tank. Lazy people.

RAs are rather simple to rebuild. The only real challenge is pulling the flywheel housing from the case.

Chris B.

Worked my magic on the recoil starter. One of the fiber washers was missing. I sharpened the ends of the dogs. Catches in just a four inch pull now.

He pumps 120 on my guage. Main bearings are really bad. Hope the inner race(s) hasn't been slipping on the crank. That would ruin the press fit of a new bearing.

I suspected there was some kind of hokey business with the fuel tank pickup.

At the rate I'm going, I'll be even longer still getting to my PP 655 overhaul.:msp_rolleyes:

Dropped off my Homie 2000 crankcase at the welding shop this morning. Crossing my fingers and toes.

attachment.php

Oil tank cap is A.W.O.L.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Doesn`t look at all bad Carl. Many of mine were in far worse condition before I rebuilt them. Most of the paint has already been removed for you and the magnesium does not look corroded or pitted too badly.

Oil tank cap is A.W.O.L.

The oil cap and glass fuel bowl are easy to find. Let me know if you need them. They're a lot easier to find than the kick stand and aluminum cylinder shroud. Nice to see you have those. I just had someone contact me today with an RA for sale. No pics. I don't need another one but it's always worth the call or drive just to see if the top cover has the chromed pioneer badge. I probably won't go to see this one...I'm not fooling anyone am I???

The oil cap and glass fuel bowl are easy to find. Let me know if you need them. They're a lot easier to find than the kick stand and aluminum cylinder shroud. Nice to see you have those. I just had someone contact me today with an RA for sale. No pics. I don't need another one but it's always worth the call or drive just to see if the top cover has the chromed pioneer badge. I probably won't go to see this one...I'm not fooling anyone am I???

Not me!....LOL

Ya got me Jerry. It was a 600 or 610. I gave him a call. What's it got on the top cover was my first question. I held my breath for medallion and chrome Pioneer lettering. He says "It's got arrows...or it could be a tree". Oh well. There's a ton of 600 series Pioneers in these parts.

Too bad,...I was hoping for a complete RA to show up for ya. Makes looking for them all that much more fun.

Too bad,...I was hoping for a complete RA to show up for ya. Makes looking for them all that much more fun.

I take it the "Pioneer" crome fender trim is hard to find?

May have to settle for '427" and crossed flags............................................................................................

Mo.Jim left three P types here the other day so I could dig for a good piston and rings for a P-41. Got to the third one and golly the cylinder looked a bit larger?? W.T.H.??

Piston measured 2 1/16" and in nice shape but the cylinder has a huge gouge from below the exhaust port to the top of ring travel. Soneone put a fresh piston w/rings in a trashed cylinder. Yikes!

Must be a P-52(ish).

Still looking for a serviceable piston for a thin ring P-41 so I can build one for Jim.

I take it the "Pioneer" crome fender trim is hard to find?

May have to settle for '427" and crossed flags............................................................................................

Yes they are, scarcer than hens teeth. They were just held in place with metal clip on washers, most fell off the saws from vibration. Very hard to find in complete form and in good shape. I was more than lucky to find a NOS one for my restored RA.

Pioneer P40

Just finished up the P40 this morning. This is an early model P40 with points, it has the small bar studs and several other parts that are not found on most P series. The top decal on the saw I beleive is for a newer model. The last photo show the to variations I have found. The one with the white letter P is what I have found on most of the saws I have seen with points.

Back