Pioneer P50/51 restored

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev1n

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've been working on this saw for a while and it's finally ready for some wood. I used a nice P51 case and the rest are P50 parts. I tore it down then cleaned it all up and installed new bearings, seals, fuel lines, carb kit, 8 pin rim, and a custom intake for the foam wrapped K&N stlye air filter. I used hondabond for the base gasket which brought the squish down to .021 . I vac and pressure tested it many times to find all the leaks. It's got 160 psi compression so far. I spray painted the handle high temp forest green and custom mixed some spray paint for the clutch cover and the outer recoil side. I got the color pretty darn close useing the graffiti artist method.
I would like to get some info on where to get some good seals ( a number) for this saw if anyone knows. I used an oem one on the clutch side and used a seal with more depth on the flywheel side which worked with the space there.
I'm going to use this for noodling logs into manageable pieces, I hope this setup will last for the 8ish hours a month I'll put on it. It pops off on the first pull, and starts great on the second pull. I'm really liking this saw.:D
Special thanks to Arrowhead, thomas1, and JJ for parts that helped this project come to life again.
Kevin
Picture058.jpg
Picture063.jpg
Picture060.jpg
Picture064.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys, I might leave this one stickerless or get my buddy to paint some flames on it.
Anybody know of a rawhide or federal mogul part number for seals? I'm going to restore a well seasoned P60 this winter. I used a federal mogul 7188-s on the flywheel side and it worked but wont on the clutch side.
Thanks kevin

Thanks Ed, A youtube video taught me that I could amost freeze one can of spray paint and couple it to another at room temp to mix them. Some sun yellow, a little white, with a dash of pistachio. I should have added another dash or got some lime green, but I got impatient and figured it was close enough.

Very nice looking work. I really like the P50 I have. It's a rough looking old beast though.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I might leave this one stickerless or get my buddy to paint some flames on it.
Anybody know of a rawhide or federal mogul part number for seals? I'm going to restore a well seasoned P60 this winter. I used a federal mogul 7188-s on the flywheel side and it worked but wont on the clutch side.
Thanks kevin

Post the shaft diameter, the housing bore (seal o.d.) and the width along with the configuration (single lip, double lip, with/without garter spring) and I'll look it up in my old C.R. book.

Sometimes a saw will use a special size. When you order many thousands at a time you can have them made any way you want them. Homelite clutch side seals are a good example.

Carl.

Restored P51

Kevin, Nice restoration! Question on the air intake. I have a P41 that I would like to upgrade the air intake. Did you fabricate your air intake or purchase an intake that you modified? rick

That's a good lookin saw Kevin!

Brian and Tina

Thank you!

Very nice looking work. I really like the P50 I have. It's a rough looking old beast though.

Thanks, and I'm waiting for you to do your majic on a big old pioneer one of these days.

I've been working on this saw for a while and it's finally ready for some wood.

Good job.. looks like a labor of love. Will you be able to post a video of it running sometime?

Thanks, I believe my friend told me to quit spooning the saw multiple times.;) I'll see if I can get a video up today or tommorow.

Looks great, glad I could help a little.

:cheers:

Thanks, you da man!

Post the shaft diameter, the housing bore (seal o.d.) and the width along with the configuration (single lip, double lip, with/without garter spring) and I'll look it up in my old C.R. book.

Sometimes a saw will use a special size. When you order many thousands at a time you can have them made any way you want them. Homelite clutch side seals are a good example.

Carl.

Thanks for the help

Case bore is 1.00
Seal O.D. is .997
Shaft O.D. is .590
Seal width is .210
with garter spring and is a single lip, the lip is not pointed and is approx. .050 in width.

Kevin, Nice restoration! Question on the air intake. I have a P41 that I would like to upgrade the air intake. Did you fabricate your air intake or purchase an intake that you modified? rick

Thanks,It's a homemade fabricated intake. I'm going to extend it 3/4" when I get some time(maybe upward). I know they used to make aftermarket ones for this saw. Somebody has one or a pile of them . I thought about fabbing one out of pvc and a soldering iron. The filter was only 13$ shipped, I'm very happy with that.
Picture.jpg

Wish I had some better wood lying around. My 6 year old boy messed up the cold start video, but it popped on 1 pull then started 2nd pull. Let me know what you think, is it running rich, or ok? I tached it at 9600 with no load. My ear isn't the best tuner.
Pioneer P50 - YouTube

You gotta love the way them saws sound. :rock: Great video. It does sound a little rich to me.

It runs awesome! Great job.

Nice work! I really like your velocity stack. You could probably sell some! I have three stacks that I got from a Pioneer dealer back in the early eighties, and they live on three of my old Pioneers. From the photo, I like yours better. Heck, I'd want to order one.

Hillwilliam

Thanks Ed and William, The velocity stack I made was alot of work. The mounting plate bowed up preety bad when welded and took me hours to get it flat again. I scored the stainless pieces from a friend that works in a food processing plant. I would have no idea where to get stainless reducers like that at a store. I would like to see a closeup picture of an original one if you have a camera, and does a 1.5" / 39mm filter fit on an original stack or another size?
Thanks Kevin

P.S. welcome to the best site on the net!

Back