Pioneer/Poulan 655 tank sealant

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
:popcorn:

And, what is the glue of choice to re-install the little fuel/oil tank divider thingy?

Not looking forward to this fix.:msp_scared:

Are you trying to avoid splitting the tank to repair the divider?

Heck ya!
Splitting the case sucks when all that is needed is a lil door glued in.
Good clean, clean, clean surface is all that is needed!
I believe the glue-bonding agent on these failed due to age on most.
One I did I used a piece of poly plastic as I didn't have the little metal door when I got the saw.

I was wondering what folks are using to seal these tanks? I used several different sealants from Seal-all to a last ditch effort of Honda bond with no avail.

Found these other sealants and just wondering if anyone else has used them? I would like to experiment with all of them, but that would get a little pricy quick.

Gasoila Chemicals - PLS 2 Premium Thread and Gasket Sealer

Fuel Tank Sealants from Aircraft Spruce

Will try but can't promise, post up a video I made repairing one of mine today.
Have 3 under my belt now, and JUST DID ONE LAST NIGHT.
Using a gas tank repair (paste-tube-epoxy type crap). Has held-up well so far. (3+ months 10-12 tanks fuel)

I have cleaned it twice without splitting it. That is not a problem. The problem is finding an adhesive that will withstand direct contact with fuel.
I take a dental mirror and an assortment of tools and brushes and clean the areas needed. The fuel turned the Seal-all and Honda bond to a soft jelly. That will just about wipe out. I am letting this stuff sit up for 36 hours before I put fuel in the tank. I had a good feeling that the Honda bond would not hold up, but just took the chance.

Working thru a hole about 1 1/4" dia. is not high on my list of fun things to do and neither is complete tear down. Alltho, it can use some rings.

What I've been thinking about is making a rubber plug like the freeze pulgs that expand when you tighten the nut. Maybe try carving one out.

Getting it clean and dry really isn't much of a problem. Several rinse/flush cycles with clean lacquer thinner should take care of any oily residue.

The best fix is splitting the case and using J.B. Weld most likely.

Here is the alum. tank divider and the lump of epoxy that held it in.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My question is, can you do a quality, permanent job without splitting it?

Know of 2 other AS members who have done it with good success.
And got most of my info from a old cutter who finished his career on Mt St Helens clean up job running 655's that repaired several.
The ones that seemed to loss the doors were the ones not getting used. Seemed air was the biggest culprit. (or non use).

A two-part epoxy that is designed to resist gas and oil or like Carl said, JB Weld works ok. My dad repaired several of his Pioneers when he was logging with
that Titanium putty that is a two-parter.

What I've been thinking about is making a rubber plug like the freeze pulgs that expand when you tighten the nut. Maybe try carving one out.

The best fix is splitting the case and using J.B. Weld most likely.

A+++
On the JB weld!
Actually just talked to another old Pioneer dealer of 8 years and they used JB weld as well!!! AT THE DEALERSHIP!

Making that plug is a idea I was thinking about as well! Problem I had is the lip to hold the door in is only there for 3 of the sides. (bottom, front and back.) the top is just a hump in the case to the oil side. It is just a 3 sided lip with a stop. Would like to hope it works! Seems that would be a easier and more permanent fix!

But till I figure something else out, will keep doing what the old timers used!
But again! Hoping the plug works! Just need some good soft durable material to buffer a tightening when tightening it, problem lies in only a 3 sided lip for me.

I have fixed a few rusted gas tanks on trucks with JB Weld ,that held up fine.I saw fuel resistant silicone somewhere ,either in Napa or Advance Auto.Might be a bit easier to apply

Back