Pita 10-10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I bought a 10-10 about 2 months ago for $20. My buddy had been wanting one for a while, so I told him that I would get it running for him for the cost of the parts. Well, I rebuilt the carb, and put new fuel line and filter on it. The saw ran good and he was happy. This past Saturday the auto oiler started leaking into the crankcase. So I tore it down and put a new seal and piston in the pump. Then I added to additional screws to secure the oil pump better. Fixed that problem and then it started running like :censored:. It idled irratically, up and down. So the next night I build some blockoff plates and did a pressure test. The only leak I found was a little seapage from where the cylinder bolted to the crankcase. So I completely broke the saw down. I had a lot of new parts on hand for another build I was going to do, but had to use some of them on this one.:censored: So I put some new rings in it while it was down, had on hand. Also, I put new crank seals in it and new intake gaskets. Did all that in about 3 hours last night. I didn't run it until this evening though because I wanted the yamabond to dry good where I put the case back together. This evening I cranked the saw and it ran like :censored: again. So I removed the carb and cleaned it again. It looked good. Then it still ran bad. So I replaced the fuel filter and it still ran bad. Turns out that the brand new fuel line had a pin hole in it above where the fuel filter attached to it.:censored::censored::censored: Well, I happened to have a new line on hand as well. Put that in and now it runs like a brand new saw, wait it is brand new now.:censored::censored: Try and do something nice for a guy and this is what happens. From now on it's just my saws and no one elses. I just felt the need to vent. Thanks for listening.

I bought a 10-10 about 2 months ago for $20. My buddy had been wanting one for a while, so I told him that I would get it running for him for the cost of the parts. Well, I rebuilt the carb, and put new fuel line and filter on it. The saw ran good and he was happy. This past Saturday the auto oiler started leaking into the crankcase. So I tore it down and put a new seal and piston in the pump. Then I added to additional screws to secure the oil pump better. Fixed that problem and then it started running like :censored:. It idled irratically, up and down. So the next night I build some blockoff plates and did a pressure test. The only leak I found was a little seapage from where the cylinder bolted to the crankcase. So I completely broke the saw down. I had a lot of new parts on hand for another build I was going to do, but had to use some of them on this one.:censored: So I put some new rings in it while it was down, had on hand. Also, I put new crank seals in it and new intake gaskets. Did all that in about 3 hours last night. I didn't run it until this evening though because I wanted the yamabond to dry good where I put the case back together. This evening I cranked the saw and it ran like :censored: again. So I removed the carb and cleaned it again. It looked good. Then it still ran bad. So I replaced the fuel filter and it still ran bad. Turns out that the brand new fuel line had a pin hole in it above where the fuel filter attached to it.:censored::censored::censored: Well, I happened to have a new line on hand as well. Put that in and now it runs like a brand new saw, wait it is brand new now.:censored::censored: Try and do something nice for a guy and this is what happens. From now on it's just my saws and no one elses. I just felt the need to vent. Thanks for listening.

is that the fuel line you got from me at the gtg ? if so let me know

or is that extra one the one you got from me ?

Well, you tested the seals so why did you replace them if they were good? Had compression so why rings...

You did good but don't be mad cause you new you were replacing good parts with new parts. You always have to check lines and carb well and start small.

He paid for parts rite?

My .02

Well, you tested the seals so why did you replace them if they were good? Had compression so why rings...

You did good but don't be mad cause you new you were replacing good parts with new parts. You always have to check lines and carb well and start small.

He paid for parts rite?

My .02

Well the rings looked way worn compaired to the new ones that I had, and it only had about 120 for compression. I already had the seals and didn't want to have to go back in later. I didn't want to put it back together and the seals start leaking. They were gummed up and didn't look good anyway.

Yes, he paid for the parts.

Well the rings looked way worn compaired to the new ones that I had, and it only had about 120 for compression. I already had the seals and didn't want to have to go back in later. I didn't want to put it back together and the seals start leaking. They were gummed up and didn't look good anyway.

Yes, he paid for the parts.

nice,you did good. I was just wondering.

Sounds like whenever I try to do a friend a favor. When one of mine give me fits I can walk away and leave it until I feel like working on it. When its a friends, I keep on it to try to get it back soon. I know your pain.

just curious where did you get the one that was bad ?

It is a Stens brand. This is the only one that I have had bad so far. I like the Stens because they fit tighter in the gas tank.

Sounds like whenever I try to do a friend a favor. When one of mine give me fits I can walk away and leave it until I feel like working on it. When its a friends, I keep on it to try to get it back soon. I know your pain.

Yeah, I used up two and a half of my evenings to get the thing fixed. If something goes wrong now, it will be a defective new part, most likely. I'm sure something else will happen, knowing my luck.

I don't know what your'e complaining about Mitchell, sounds better than my best experiences making repairs on any saw I touch.

Perhaps in the future if I need some work done I'll just send the saw out to you, if you'll fix them for the price of the parts I will save myself a lot of time and aggravation.

Mark

O.K. now my 10-10 story.

Pro Mac 10-10 was given to me over a year ago, been setting on the shelf waiting for the right opportunity. Since I'm taking a collection of 10 Series to the GTG this weekend I thought I have a look at this one.

Fuel in the tank was pretty rank so I dumped it out, checked the filter and gas line, not to good so replace then both. Dismantle the carburetor and replace the diaphragms. Prime the saw and it starts right up. Fiddle a bit and it dies. Try choking it, no joy, choke off and WOT, still nothing. Remove the plug and crank it over to make sure there's still fire and since it was flooded it had fire indeed since everything on the bench had been pretty well saturated with gasoline and carburetor cleaner. Knock one burning rag to the floor and notice the bench top is still burning, guess it was pretty well saturated as well.

Put the bench out first, then the rag (it was so saturated the cloth didn't even burn yet, guess I can use it again).

Crank it a few more times, more flamethrower action, replace the plug and now I have another runner. Saw came to me without the front handle (McCulloch calls it a "frame") so I put one on it from an older junk 10-10 I had.

One more to test out on Saturday in front of the whole gang.

Mark

I was delivering a PM 610 clutch brake cover to the local saw shop today and noticed a 10-10 sitting on the floor. The paper tag said "won't draw up fuel, everyone has worked on it" and I thought to myself "I love a challenge"! I didn't pick it up today but I'll bet it's in my shop within a month.

:greenchainsaw:

I was delivering a PM 610 clutch brake cover to the local saw shop today and noticed a 10-10 sitting on the floor. The paper tag said "won't draw up fuel, everyone has worked on it" and I thought to myself "I love a challenge"! I didn't pick it up today but I'll bet it's in my shop within a month.

:greenchainsaw:

Let us know. If gotten things that have been threw a few shops and then i figure it out. Sometimes people just miss something...
I had a saw come in and the box had 4 shop tags in it...

I've got a 10-10 that I'm pretty sure I'm going to fix it with 165 grains @ 3400fps from Weatherby 300 mag. Yep, that should do it.....

I had one like that, albeit not a 10-10. It wasn't a 300 either. However, a 750grain Woodleigh at 2300fps did the trick.

Back