Planning trees for a new house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerLemelin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Following on my thread below about large pines close to my house, I have pretty much decided to move. Here in the Northeast there is almost no available housing inventory, so I would have to build a new house. I have some questions:

(1) Will I be able to convince the contractor to leave mature trees on the lot? I notice that most new houses these days are built on a lot with zero trees. I really want to avoid that. I'm not young enough to plant a new tree and watch it grow.

(2) When clearing the lot, what is the proper distance between mature trees and the house?

(2) What are the most wind- and snow-resistant trees? Meaning, trunks that hold up to, say, 80-mph wind and branches that are less prone to breaking with a load of heavy, wet snow. What trees should I avoid?

Thank you for your input!

Following on my thread below about large pines close to my house, I have pretty much decided to move. Here in the Northeast there is almost no available housing inventory, so I would have to build a new house. I have some questions:

(1) Will I be able to convince the contractor to leave mature trees on the lot? I notice that most new houses these days are built on a lot with zero trees. I really want to avoid that. I'm not young enough to plant a new tree and watch it grow.

(2) When clearing the lot, what is the proper distance between mature trees and the house?

(2) What are the most wind- and snow-resistant trees? Meaning, trunks that hold up to, say, 80-mph wind and branches that are less prone to breaking with a load of heavy, wet snow. What trees should I avoid?

Thank you for your input!
Tree Placement on Home Grounds

If it were me, I'd be looking for a suitable lot. One that had the mature trees I wanted, but not close to where a home would be built, and room to plant more smaller shade trees where I wanted them.
Otherwise, you're back in the same situation you are in now with all those huge pines taking aim at your house. You don't want the expense of tree removal now, I doubt you want it at your new location.

Tree Placement on Home Grounds

If it were me, I'd be looking for a suitable lot. One that had the mature trees I wanted, but not close to where a home would be built, and room to plant more smaller shade trees where I wanted them.
Otherwise, you're back in the same situation you are in now with all those huge pines taking aim at your house. You don't want the expense of tree removal now, I doubt you want it at your new location.
Believe me, there will be no pines within striking distance of my new house.

Latest posts

Back