planting asparagus and other operations on a produce farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

066blaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Just added another 1000 I planted 4000 last year and have about 15000 total in the ground.
20140409_124503.jpg
20140409_164234.jpg
20140409_164234.jpg

Now how do you cover it up and do you spread the roots out or just cover them as they lay. How do you control the weeds.
We grow asparagus for family and friends and it is neat to learn how you do it large scale.
Thanks for posting with the pictures.

For large scale you just throw them in the trench. I use a 5 foot tiller with the tines removed from the center to bury them a inch or 2 after planting. Then after they are a foot or 18 inches tall I use a walk behind tiller with a Hiller attachment to bury them more. I do this twice. I use to do alot of this by hand. But had to mechanize it for large scale. Picking and bundling it is a huge amount of work.

The first year weeding is done during the tilling/burying process. And maybe hoe them once or twice. After that it's spraying and I can't give those secrets away. That is the hardest part. It took me years to figure that out.

For large scale you just throw them in the trench. I use a 5 foot tiller with the tines removed from the center to bury them a inch or 2 after planting. Then after they are a foot or 18 inches tall I use a walk behind tiller with a Hiller attachment to bury them more. I do this twice. I use to do alot of this by hand. But had to mechanize it for large scale. Picking and bundling it is a huge amount of work.

And I have always worked so hard to spread the roots out as much as I could + the other things you read to do. Very interesting.>>What do you do for weed control and how long do you keep a field in production? >>I suppose your plants are a variety for commercial production??
MY oldest bed is 14 years old.

All male plants , the first thousand I planted I spread the roots. Then seen how it was done large scale, no need to do it.

nice 066,iv'e been gowing my own plugs and transplanting them after 1 year. i overwinter them in the greenhouse. have about 800 to plant as soon as the ground dries out.the older patches were just coming upand we had a hard frost yesterday. i guess no grass for easter. your on a way bigger scale than me.who cuts for you?

nice 066,iv'e been gowing my own plugs and transplanting them after 1 year. i overwinter them in the greenhouse. have about 800 to plant as soon as the ground dries out.the older patches were just coming upand we had a hard frost yesterday. i guess no grass for easter. your on a way bigger scale than me.who cuts for you?
Me, I work 7 am to 9 pm asparagus season I pick twice a day, and bundle.

066,just got mine bush hogged off last week. took the hay rake over it and cleand it up.been doin that the last couple of years an works pretty slick. i usually only pick in the morning unless it get hot and pushes it. i sell most of mine at my market but had enough to take some to produce auction last year.1/2 lb. bunches were bring $3-4 a bunch. yes i was a happy camper.

I get 4 a pound at 2 large farmers markets. And 3 at a store. 3.50 at are farm. When it's cool once a day is OK but if it's 70 it gets a little tall by the next day. I brush hog it in fall and take a front mount mower and cut it right to the ground in spring. So you don't have to deal with the stuble interfering with picking.

Sure glad you fellows are talking asparagus and fruit trees. I'm learning things here and it is nice to follow your discussion. I really like the pictures.
The last couple years when the grass was up but I could not find any asparagus yet, I would spray with Roundup. Probably a very foolish thing to do!!

Sure glad you fellows are talking asparagus and fruit trees. I'm learning things here and it is nice to follow your discussion. I really like the pictures.
The last couple years when the grass was up but I could not find any asparagus yet, I would spray with Roundup. Probably a very foolish thing to do!!
No that's good to do. Just did that today. But I mix 24d or weed b gone with it, any 3 way product if you have any broad leaf weeds. At the end of the season or mid season if you have to, cut all the Spears slightly below ground level and spray with the round up 24d mix. The asparagus will not be harmed. You will sacrifice some Spears cutting them short but it's worth it. If you miss some they will grow crooked, cut them off and discard as soon as you see them. This procedure is a must at the end of the season . The ferns will get a head start and choke out the weeds. Also fertilize at the end of the season and 2 weeks into the season. Also soak the daylights out of them if it gets dry. Sprinkle overnight. It really boosts production.

Latest posts

Back