planting asparagus and other operations on a produce farm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bee picking about a week but still a little slow with cool nites.picking about 20lbs. per day.took 42 1/2 lb bunces to produce auction yesterday and have 38 buches for tomorrow. it brought $2.60 a bunch yesterday. looks like i may have lost a few plants to the cold winter as i have a few gaps in the rows. 80* by fri. will really push it. 2x a day cutting.

The first stuff isn't the best looking because it's been exposed to the elements for a week or better. But finally getting some warmer weather. I should get some good pickings the next couple days.

bee picking about a week but still a little slow with cool nites.picking about 20lbs. per day.took 42 1/2 lb bunces to produce auction yesterday and have 38 buches for tomorrow. it brought $2.60 a bunch yesterday. looks like i may have lost a few plants to the cold winter as i have a few gaps in the rows. 80* by fri. will really push it. 2x a day cutting.
I have lost a few in the past do to mole damage. They borrow underground and eat the crown over winter. If the area is sunk in, you know it's moles. This is why I cut it down in fall so there isn't any cover for them. Also keep the annual grass out it a tracts moles (cover and seed to eat) I spray with poast in august if I got grass in it.

Had been picking alot of nice stuff and made it through with no frost. But with the few days of cold rainy weather I have got purple spot on my asparagus. No sprays registered for it during harvest. We have had a few dry warmer days and it seems to be getting better. But I think I will be tossing a couple hundred pounds. Here's some of the good stuff I was picking. Purple spot is small purple lesions mostly on the lower part of the spear . Really makes it unmarketable.
20140513_114956.jpg

I think when the weather is warm enough the Spears grow fast enough that they aren't affected much by purple spot. I never had an issue with this before. I hope it clears up. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

I think when the weather is warm enough the Spears grow fast enough that they aren't affected much by purple spot. I never had an issue with this before. I hope it clears up. I'll take some pics tomorrow.
had the same on mine after 3" of rain last fri. didn't show up on saturday picking but by sun it was there.we just eat or feeze what isn't nice enough to sell.

It was better today. Yes I cut them. I use a homemade tool thats about 18 inches long. Been also using a pistol grip spring loaded 18 inch pruner that works really good. Picking really don't bother me. Picking stuff I can't sell sucks though.

It was better today. Yes I cut them. I use a homemade tool thats about 18 inches long. Been also using a pistol grip spring loaded 18 inch pruner that works really good. Picking really don't bother me. Picking stuff I can't sell sucks though.
i just snap mine off at ground level.things iv'e read(on the internet,just kidding) about cutting say that some dieseases can be spread from plant to plant using a knife.:dizzy: looks like quadris and bravo are labeled for purple spot down here.

I am glad you posted pictures of your cutting tools.
That little pruner really works good. I'm not so afraid to have someone help me pick with that, they really can't damage other spears. With the other tool you have to hit the ground and can damage other spears. And it takes more effort and the Spears get dirtier. Also you can buy new blades and other parts for it. It cuts through em like a razor blade.

I got a little woodchuck that is weeding my field for me. I watched him eat some clover and dandelions. He doesn't seem to bother the asparagus. He also has a hole where rabbit's use to hang out and seems to be scaring them away. He is tame as can be I was about 20 feet from him in this pic.
20140521_171726.jpg

Back