Planting grass

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarmerSid

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Ready to do some landscaping in front if the shop I built. I was told to mix barley seed with grass seed to get instant grass and protect the new grass as it grows. Any tips on how I should go about planting grass?

If it were me, I would go to a local nursery in the area and see if they have a mixtiure of grass seeds designed for your type of soil. Do you have a seeder/spreader? Spread the seed. Then cover it with straw if the area(keeps the birds from eating it) and water as necessary. If the ground is somewhat rough you don't have to dig it up first. Just put the seed down as directed by the nursery and cover with straw. It should germinate in a week or two (depending on how cold it is there). Don't fertilize or use any week killers, too rough for new grass. Obviously stay off of it as long as possible to let it become well rooted.

A quicker but more expensive way is to just lay sod down (like tiling a kitchen floor without the cement or adhesive).

When we plant grass we work it up, rake all the rocks and clumps of dirt out, level it out, spread the seed, lightly rake it again, roll it and then spread straw over top of it

the straw is key because it keeps the soil most, keeps it from blowing away or eroding and keeps the weeds down

hope this helps

Thanks for the replies! Sounds easy enough but don't like the idea of all that loose straw all over the place. I always have a north westerly wind so the straw would be all over the place. Is it nessecary or is that the best way? I have about 3 ft of soil then flat limestone. It is clay below the top soil.

If it were me, I would go to a local nursery in the area and see if they have a mixtiure of grass seeds designed for your type of soil.

Bingo. The local guys should know what's best for your area.

FarmerSid, you need SOMETHING over the top of the seed, or you are just going to be feeding the birds. Maybe a light mulch, or what is called "top cover", but SOMETHING. If it's not covered, whatever seed isn't eaten will likely dry out. You won't get much of a lawn.

Plant clover instead. It's thicker it's greener it seldom needs mowing and it feeds the soil nitrogen for the tree roots.

Thanks again for the replies. I understand the importance of a cover till it germinates and takes off. Can I use hay as opposed to straw? No straw but lots of hay. I know that straw will not soak up the moisture like hay will but that's what I got. What about the mess afterwards? Is there a mix I can make to mix with the seed that can be sprayed on the soil? Like they do in cities after they dig up something and spray this green coloured stuff to reseed.

HI

I think any hay, straw type material will work. It not only protects the seed from the birds, but prevents the soil from drying out in the sun. There is a product called pen - mulch that you can purchase. It looks like pellets, green in colour that break down and do the same as straw but you don't have much to clean up if anything. It is much like hydo seeding green but without going through the hydro seeding machine.
From my experience either way will work. If straw/hay (as long as no seeds in hay) is used water heavy after laying down and it will knit together and there should be no problem with wind. Salt hay is used here mostly because it has no foreign seeds in it. If you use regular hay or straw you may get a weed problem down the road.

You can as well mix a rye grass (quick germination) with a blue grass (just an example), but like it was already sugested the local garden center should be able to help with proper seed for your region.

Just remember to give your tree's the room they need, keep the grass away from the stalk, the further the better.

I have never in all my years heard the term.. Is it anything at all like sod?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Plant clover instead. It's thicker it's greener it seldom needs mowing and it feeds the soil nitrogen for the tree roots.

I like it mixed in the grass. I'm going to be doing some re-seeding at my place soon, and plan to add clover seed to the mix.

Sid, you are talking about hydroseeding. It works great from my experience. Try this link. http://www.htpa.org/Home.at.New-Grass.org.htm
Blueridgemark, I would like to get rid of the clover on my lawn. Any other reasons why I shouldn't? We have been doing some construction and neglecting the lawn, figure it will just be stomped on and dug up...
My girls father likes to come by and spray the clover and drop lime every spring, but it is still a prodominatly moss and clover lawn.

Back