Please help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budski313

Reaction score
I do tree work on the side. But want to be legitimate for myself and customers. What steps do I need to be a contract climber or do my own business? A friend of mine has a business. Am I covered to work for him if he hasn't added me to his company

no you are not covered unless you are on his payroll legit.
#1 item you need is liability insurance $$$$. On a contract thing you might be covered under that companies insurance for that job only,' but should have a written contract, hand shakes don't count in court. Always best to have your own, then the Ins co can duel it out between themselves.
#2 registered with state as a biz. sales tax may be involved, varies all over.
#3 whatever the local area rules are sometimes you may need a city, town, village lic and maybe a county lic . could also be a per incident thing with locals. This a grey area rules requirements are all over the map.

I do tree work on the side. But want to be legitimate for myself and customers. What steps do I need to be a contract climber or do my own business? A friend of mine has a business. Am I covered to work for him if he hasn't added me to his company
You can be covered if your additionally insured stamped on his policy weather your legal name or business name. Best thing would be to look into your own insurance and then additionally be covered under his insurance if he is using you as a sub contractor which he would have to do. Or hire you as an employee. Also fwiw landscape insurance is not arborist insurance. Stay safe out there!

Latest posts

Back