Please tell me this is a hack job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtnman4ever

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did a nice easy job yesterady removing oak that had fallen in the wind off and d out of a guys shed her kpet all the wood and has a huge brush pile going .I did not know Mac still made saw and line trimers

At any rate on the way home I noiticed a large white pine on some wirews sonme one had cut off the top of the that blocked the road and left a mess along with a lot of weight holding wires dwon . No I did not cross the wires to see exaxctly how large the tree was vbut it was over 80 ft the thing is on a slope so it will eventaually ; to or should i say it is going to slide ointo the road . as it was snaped of about 6 ft from the ground . I am hoping this is hackl work andnot pwoer comapnmy or thir chosen tree servivce . I talked a cop a young kid and he said he did not know who was responsible but it looked ok . ! :jawdrop: :

Here are the photos

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/557679823yqTPol
:chainsaw:

That could be but the kids I mean kids scare me with a 1 ton dump never mind a chansaw with live wires .
So I am hoping the power company cleans it up.
If not Ill do it for aproice if the legit folks wantot hire me . But They damn well better makessure the wireas are not live . a easy I can always use the exta buck .
a. It would be a nice easy job too . I lleave te white pinme for the Scrounge People as we call a couple who try to scrounge stuff in particualar wood from jobsites. They once maneged to get a 20 inincg in diameter 8.5 ft white pine log i had cut into thier white Saab :taped: Is ther a thread besides the Free hard wood about wood scroungers and what to do ?

That could be but the kids I mean kids scare me with a 1 ton dump never mind a chansaw with live wires .
So I am hoping the power company cleans it up.
If not Ill do it for aproice if the legit folks wantot hire me . But They damn well better makessure the wireas are not live . a easy I can always use the exta buck .
a. It would be a nice easy job too . I lleave te white pinme for the Scrounge People as we call a couple who try to scrounge stuff in particualar wood from jobsites. They once maneged to get a 20 inincg in diameter 8.5 ft white pine log i had cut into thier white Saab :taped: Is ther a thread besides the Free hard wood about wood scroungers and what to do ?

Had a few beers lately?

tree on wires

From the pics it looks as though the tree is on the phone wires, not the power companies problem. If they are like the phone company around here they won't be in a hurry to remove it till the phones go out. Still it should be treated as a live wire till you can confirm it otherwise. yes the small towns and boro's around here call a crew to remove the problem from the road but rare is it that they remove it from the wire, that's the phone companies problem.They do notify the phone company but the phone company is slow to remove trees unless the phones go out altogether.

Ya looks like phone cables, probably just took the top off to relieve weight until they can get to it (so if it snows it doesn't pull it off the poles or worse), tricky and potentially dangerous to cut the lower part up as the wires are under load and liable to spring a piece up (so I am guessing an experienced cutter would start at the base and work his way up in small increments relieving the pressure gently).

:cheers:

The comm lines should not be underestimated in terms of the tension they can hold, I've seen them launch a six foot, 3+'diameter section halfway across the road when cut loose, not to mention they can get the whole grid shaking enough to cross phase lines if present. electrocution is not the only way lines can hurt you. My computer couldn't download your pics, but from your description I'd guess no it's not a hack job, The appropriate authority took care of what was necessary to free up their infrastructure leaving the rest of the job to be completed by the property owner(s) responsible for the remainder of the tree. Around here asplundh will cut enough of the tree back in order to rehang power lines and leave the stub hanging on the comm lines, thats standard procedure. A right of way crew will generally do the same, open up the right of way only. If it still presents an imminent hazard to the public then of course further action should be taken, but again, that's not the power company's job, and if the local municipality doesn't have a qualified tree crew then either they or the adjacent property owner would need to contract it out, wouldn't want to see an unqualified employee getting hurt.

Ya looks like phone cables, probably just took the top off to relieve weight until they can get to it (so if it snows it doesn't pull it off the poles or worse), tricky and potentially dangerous to cut the lower part up as the wires are under load and liable to spring a piece up (so I am guessing an experienced cutter would start at the base and work his way up in small increments relieving the pressure gently).

That is how is Should be done , But I have seen line crew cut off the end that is on the wires . They just get behind the wire and cut off the log releasing the tension and the wires do spring back really fast . .
A intresting twist is that the land owner knows me . I had no idea he owned that land nice guy, any ways he wanted to know what he should do as it is bothering him. He asked if I could remove it I wil but I have to check with both the phoneand power companies I will probably have to have a cop once I get near the wires . Now who do I Bill ?

He wants it off the wires I' ll take some of the pine logs for my venture into carving . the brush Hell he will be out ther with his Kubota 4x4 putting it ito his already house sized brush pile .
He was a explsoves guy in the Army a bit of a pryo so I am sure he will have on huge fire going we can still burn brush . for now ,:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Had a few beers lately?

Yeah I had one while relaxing and you ?

I think that there are other things to talk about than my typing if that is all you have to say just move on it adds nothing and takes up server space for no reason than some one ones insecurity making fun of a does not make you any better than your target . I was injured and even this spell check does not work well it is a PITA
I am sure I could flame also also but it is immature unprofessional and serves no purpose .. and adds nothing :angry2:

That is how is Should be done , But I have seen line crew cut off the end that is on the wires . They just get behind the wire and cut off the log releasing the tension and the wires do spring back really fast . .
A intresting twist is that the land owner knows me . I had no idea he owned that land nice guy, any ways he wanted to know what he should do as it is bothering him. He asked if I could remove it I wil but I have to check with both the phoneand power companies I will probably have to have a cop once I get near the wires . Now who do I Bill ?

He wants it off the wires I' ll take some of the pine logs for my venture into carving . the brush Hell he will be out ther with his Kubota 4x4 putting it ito his already house sized brush pile .
He was a explsoves guy in the Army a bit of a pryo so I am sure he will have on huge fire going we can still burn brush . for now ,:biggrinbounce2:
Since he has a little tractor it might be an easy thing just to pull it gently off with a (long) cable as long as there aren't branches hanging it up or high tension lines just above it, that takes everyone out of the bite. :) And oooooooo-ahhhhhhh on the bonfire! Me bring beer and marshmallows! :D

my guess is that it was somebody who didn't want to take any risk, looks like some utility crew. Great tips from Sprig and coydog.

I tie the cables off with a running bowline(leave enough tail to release it from the ground once the cables are released )to a portawrap onto an anchor as directly below the work as possible, once the material has been cut free the tension can be taken off gradually.

I tie the cables off with a running bowline(leave enough tail to release it from the ground once the cables are released )to a portawrap onto an anchor as directly below the work as possible, once the material has been cut free the tension can be taken off gradually.

disclaimer- in light of some of the things posted on the pole tools thread I need to stress treat all conductors including comm lines as if they are hot until you can confirm otherwise,( especially in a storm work situation). Let the utilities know what you are doing. The above technique should not be used except by a qualified line clearance arborist.

Latest posts

Back