Surprise score!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Loaded up this morning to take down the problem tree at my site (thread "I'm ready"). Stopped at Taco Time for breakfast and amongst the usual BS a county road worker mentioned that a large Black Locust had fallen across Lee road. They had used a front end loader to push it clear of the road and would be cutting it up on Monday.

WTH, never hurts to ask so I did. Yes! "Go ahead and we'll shred the brush tomorrow"

So back to the house, dump off the ladder, shovel, rake, garbage can and head out:

Lee.jpg

I approached it from its top end and could see bare stubs. Looked like someone had already been there and 'done the deed'. Nope. Took a bit of the top andleft the good stuff. Logs (multiple stem tree) randed from about 10" where they quit down to 3 20" stems at the stump. Miserable job trying to move around in all the smashed, broken up brush shoved agains it.

One hour in:

lee2.jpg

From there it was a matter of yanking chunks of stem out using a log chain and the F150, cutting them up and working them through the piles of brush to the road side.

Not too bad a day. Hit something early on with the 310 and had to change chain. Discovered that I am down to only two chains other than a badly rocked out one and the one I took off - it is on its last legs anyhow.

On the new chain I contined from where I rocked out the chain and finished that stem only to discover that it had been laying on top of a smashed down bob wahr fence. Somehow I made two complete cuts and never touched the wire! Did hit something unknown again right at the end. Had to fire up the 361 to finish the last cut. Sooo, two chains to resharpen and two to touch up before the next outing.

Had to leave a 6-8' nice stem - I was already running late to get back and take care of the wife - disabled - when she gets up. Had a very good load on already any how.

lee3.jpg

Squatting pretty good but I would have added the rest of it had I had time.

All in all, I was surprised how I lasted. 3 1/2 hours with only about 10minutes total time out, stomping around on a brush pile, boosting heavy rounds across brush, loading, etc. and feeling good. The few times I was able to work the wood pile during the winter I would get very little done before pooping out.

Harry K

Cool beans!

The town and even state crews around here tend to be the same way...leave stuff for 24 hours so they have less work to deal with the next day :laugh:

It's killing me, the state's "busy work" project over the winter has been clearing the trees back from a clover-leaf style ramp where I get on the Interstate when I need to drive to the data center.

Even on the Interstate, the Woodboogas come out of the woodwork, park on the grass, and scrounge off the trees the DOT cuts down. DOT will come back the next working day and take care of the brush. State Police don't seem to bother them, I'm guessing it's the same rule as hunters and fishermen...as long as you're off the pavement and on the grass you won't get harassed.

But this winter's project, there's a lot down either steep banks or worse...completely encircled by guard rails so there is no safe place to park that's off (or on) the pavement. I've got to be looking at 10 cords laid down on the ground inside the cloverleaf each time I get on the highway and no safe way for any civilian to get it out :cry:

Latest posts

Back