Pole pruner (gas powered)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not a bad thing to have a heavy engine with torque on a pole saw that extra weight at the bottom can help counter ballance with the saw extended. Especially if your a lightweight 155lb person like me

When I ordered my Stihl HT-131, the guys that serviced it had never done one before. After they got it started, one of them asked the other if it was supposed to make that much power?

It makes a ton of torque, and it will almost spin right out of your hand when you gas it. It is very responsive to the throttle.

I bought a new Stihl 2 stroke pole pruner, the one that looks like a weed eater for about $350. I bought the fixed pole one, couldn't go any higher anyway, hard enough to control this way. The Stihl was actually cheaper than the Echo or Husqvarna when I looked. I've now got all the hanging limbs off my trees.

When I ordered my Stihl HT-131, the guys that serviced it had never done one before. After they got it started, one of them asked the other if it was supposed to make that much power?

It makes a ton of torque, and it will almost spin right out of your hand when you gas it. It is very responsive to the throttle.
Thats a good thing when your working with limbs twisting and trying to pinch a chain. Ive cut some big wood with a stihl 4 stroke especially ash hangers

If you've got a Home Depot gift card they can order the echo pole saw for you. They also sell of their rentals but I wouldn't trust the rentals. I've rented two things from the HD near me and neither worked.
I've got a stihl 101, I would have preferred a 131 or the echo but $175 for a used 101 was too good of a deal to pass up.
I love using it..... when someone else is cleaning up after me! I'm a home owner, not a pro but I use it enough that is was worth the $ and I figure I could easily sell it for what I paid for it.

If you've got a Home Depot gift card they can order the echo pole saw for you. They also sell of their rentals but I wouldn't trust the rentals. I've rented two things from the HD near me and neither worked.
I've got a stihl 101, I would have preferred a 131 or the echo but $175 for a used 101 was too good of a deal to pass up.
I love using it..... when someone else is cleaning up after me! I'm a home owner, not a pro but I use it enough that is was worth the $ and I figure I could easily sell it for what I paid for it.
Dont sell it. If you dont want to get dusty during a bon fire you can dice up some wood from a distance.

That's what I am and the way I looked at it, in regards to resale. :yes:

Well, I surfed all over the web, couldn't find a single bad review for the cheap Remington (well, one guy only gave it three stars... but his review made him sound like an idiot). It may not be an Echo, Husky or Stihl, but it sure seems to be gettin' the job done... heck, one guy claimed to use it for limbing with the 2-foot extension removed, and another even said he used it for clearing fence rows.

Using the gift cards it came to $55 out-of-pocket with free shipping to my home... I've spent more than that on beer already this month.

So... I guess we'll see... it should be here in 'bout 10 days.
Maybe the dang thing will fall apart the first time I use it, and y'all can say, "We told ya' so‼"
And than again, if a fella' keeps in mind it ain't a pro tool and uses his head, it may last until I'm too feeble to lift the thing (which may not be that long :D).

Oh... and b'side... I'm likely settin' the thing up to fail anyway. The "instructions" say to use 40:1 mix in it... and I ain't gonna' keep two different mixes around. It's gonna' get the same 50:1 I run in everything else.

Well, I surfed all over the web, couldn't find a single bad review for the cheap Remington (well, one guy only gave it three stars... but his review made him sound like an idiot). It may not be an Echo, Husky or Stihl, but it sure seems to be gettin' the job done... heck, one guy claimed to use it for limbing with the 2-foot extension removed, and another even said he used it for clearing fence rows.

Using the gift cards it came to $55 out-of-pocket with free shipping to my home... I've spent more than that on beer already this month.

So... I guess we'll see... it should be here in 'bout 10 days.
Maybe the dang thing will fall apart the first time I use it, and y'all can say, "We told ya' so‼"
And than again, if a fella' keeps in mind it ain't a pro tool and uses his head, it may last until I'm too feeble to lift the thing (which may not be that long :D).

Oh... and b'side... I'm likely settin' the thing up to fail anyway. The "instructions" say to use 40:1 mix in it... and I ain't gonna' keep two different mixes around. It's gonna' get the same 50:1 I run in everything else.

In addition to my gas powered pole saw, I've got an electric Remington pole saw with a telescoping adjustable handle. I got it at a yard sale some years back and I made a maybe somewhat dangerous hack with it, but so far it's worked great. I duct taped a much longer pole onto it, and can reach at least twice as far with it than any other pole saw. It's a two to three man operation however. Since the on-off trigger has to be locked on, somebody else has to plug/unplug the thing when it's in position to cut. With a super long pole, the leverage can get to be too much for one person to hold, and it takes two people to hold the pole in position. But with this method, I've taken out big branches that would ordinarily have required either a climber or a bucket truck. I never cut an entire limb off at once if there is room for it to swing back on me. I cut small chunks off one at a time for safety. The Remington has held up very well so far and paid for itself many times over as opposed to hiring arborists.

If a Remington/craftsman gets to bucking or surging at part throttle, light load. Check the flywheel. They like to come loose. Only thing that holds them on is one of those press on serrated washers. Had a dozen or so in a row come in the shop that either wouldn't run or surged and it was the flywheel on every one of them.

If a Remington/craftsman gets to bucking or surging at part throttle, light load. Check the flywheel. They like to come loose. Only thing that holds them on is one of those press on serrated washers. Had a dozen or so in a row come in the shop that either wouldn't run or surged and it was the flywheel on every one of them.
Damn crapsman im glad they used poulans for the crapsman saws or i would give my crapsman saw away or use it as a boat ancor

Poulan for the saws and remington(mtd) for everything else handheld it seems

New mcculloch saws are poulans in black and yellow plastic

Rental sounds like the best solution for the op. I haven't seen any love for the husky 327pt5s. I can say it's flat amazing what they will do. Yes they are expensive, 600 plus with tax. But, I'd hate to be without it now!

I have a HT131 and really like it. They are heavy but a very capable saw. I know one thing for sure, you can cut limbs for 15 minutes and it takes 2 hours to clean up the mess

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
Lincoln IdealArc 250
Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface

I have been looking for a pole pruner also ,stihl 131 extendable ,or an echo extendable have caught my eye so far ,found some echo's on the bay ,not on their site ,must out dated models but new for cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-PPT-265S-Pole-Saw/191570129229?_trksid=p2050601.c100269.m3464&_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20140813133143&meid=56c3c15ca51d41c7a7b9d265070bacc2&pid=100269&rk=3&rkt=4&sd=121640850426&clkid=5999336719881784426&_qi=RTM2067269
Brian, I just bought that Echo. I'm probably going to buy the optional extension also.

Brian, I just bought that Echo. I'm probably going to buy the optional extension also.
I was torn between the echo 280 and a stihl ,settled for the ht101 stihl ,it will be here friday ,i wanted the 131 but compromised with a used 101,they are the same saw ,just smaller cc ,i am not going to use it as much as big saws so a low hour used will do me fine ,so now i can say my pole is longer than whitespiders :laugh:

Back