Pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danc

Reaction score
What is a good brand of Pole chain saw? Don't want electric. Any used ones for sale in Texas?

I guess you are asking about the powered pole saws. I have only tried the one made by STIHL and I haven't liked it. Not because of the quality of the product, just personal preference and available alternatives.
I don't know about others, but I found that I was unable to make a descent cut with it unless I took really small pieces. Undercuts are a problem and then when the piece starts to hinge it tends to roll over and try to pinch the bar. Maybe its my inexperience with the thing. If it's to big for me to cut with the old manual pole saw, or I can't get an angle to make a good cut, it's time to climb up to it.
I much prefer the sectional poles sold by Sherrills as well as others, equiped with a nice sharp 16" razor tooth blade.
I have heard a lot of rave reviews about the Silky line of saws, just don't have deep enough pockets yet. Some day...:rolleyes:

Louie Hampton

There are basically only 2 brands available. 'Power Pruner', which was the origional and uses an Echo motor, and Stihl. As lhampton said, they take some getting used to, but after having one on my truck for several months I kept finding more and more uses for it.
The Stihl seems to be more popular, Power Pruner hasn't done much improvement on their model since it came out almost 20 years ago.

I know just what LHampton is talking about. It is a problem when cutting anything larger than this years suckers, and are not close enough to get a good angle, they pinch the bar. Ithink they should angle the head a bit to one side becouse if you are already beside the branch to be cut, you dont need a power-pruner anyway.

You both are correct, there are limitations to the power pruner. Rather than concentrating on the negatives, I ask myself 1 simple question every time I think about using the power pruner. "Will this task be easier/quicker with the power pruner?"
Also, since they are not very strong, a super-sharp chain is imperative. Trying to force it through a larger limb can stress the drive cable inside and those aren't cheap (about $200). But with a sharp chain, they can be a super timesaver if you have many small to medium size trees that only need a few cuts each. Commercial properties, apartment complexes, parking lots, etc. are examples of places where it can make you a lot of money. :eek:

The Stihl pole saw is tuff on the upper body.I bought one about 3-4 years ago,paid a bit over $700.It will only extend about 15"to 20" before the drive stops.I don't use it enough to worry with fixing it.I never could figure out how to use that black belt that comes with it,(a body harness??)Has anyone tried the Husky Pole saw?

I agree that sharp is a must. Another thing is that it is a weak enough drive that you cannot just set it down and "let the saw do the work" you need to hold it up in the curf.

I have also talked to a number of climbers that use it to top out things that are too scary to climb to the top of.

I had bartered off an HT75 a year or so ago and must say that I truly love it. I know that the power sometimes leaves a bit to be desired, however that is not as bad as having to use a pole saw all day. I have done several jobs in the past where by taking the power pole saw with me I did not have to take out the manual pole saw, or leave the ground. Just takes some getting used to.

I hate to say it, but I hope Stihl doesn't reduce the price on their power pruner. $700 is too steep for most homeowners. But could you imagine the carnage if they come down in price and EVERY 'Harry Homeowner' has one in the garage? :eek:

I looked at the Echo and Stihl power pruners and went with Stihl mainly because I can get it serviced locally. The extendable ones can be heavy to work with for very long and I agree that branches tend to twist and bind when working from the ground if your not careful. I mostly use it up in the bucket (very nice) I only have a 40' W/H and this gives a little extra reach and I can get a good angle. But I'm going off on a tangent, I like the Stihl saw and since I mostly use it up in the bucket I went with the weed eater version that has the power pruner attachment, much lighter and a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I used the extendable one when I worked for the city we had problems with it not wanting to extend and it was just to darn heavy.

I like to buy what I can get serviced easily.

Treat it gently

I dont own one and I haven`t even tried one so maybe I shouldn`t speak, but a local dealer who has sold a buttload of Ht75s says he has steady income replacing bent extendable shaft tubes. From what he tells me, all the wannabe landscapers and arborists who employ kids, drunks, and summer help seem to be letting them drop through the cut to the ground. Impact of the bar bends the shaft. I guess because of this, user lack of skill, the HT75 is getting a bad name in some circles. Russ

Trying to force the saw through a big limb (dogging the saw) can result in a bent shaft, too. Replacement shafts for the Stihl are $200 plus labor.

Was in Home Depot yesterday, saw an Echo/Power Pruner fixed shaft (not extendable) for $279! EGADS!!!! Gonna have a bunch of homeowners butchering trees, falling off of ladders, dropping limbs on their heads, etc. :eek:

No dout 165, It should be illegal for homeowners to have those or the manual ones. the trees would all breathe a sigh of relief.:laugh:

Danc,
I purchased an Echo PT-260 power pruner around a month ago.So far I have used it for around seven hours, four and a half last saturday. I think its great. For what its intended purpose is it works fine. It just happens to be orange, which is my favorite color!!!!!!!!!!)

Back