pole saws information needed please.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wideopen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can somebody point me in the right direction here? I basically need to remove a limb from the front yard tree, which is posing a threat to a part of my homes roof.

1.I need to know if this is also known as "pruning"
2.Need to know what kind of saw or blade is best for limbs about 12" max. in diameter. And do these blades cut in both directions, do they cut on both the forward and back strokes?
3.Where is a good place to purchase a cheaper, inexpensive version? Dont need a top quality, name brand device, just one that would do the job.. I also have access to swimming pool poles which extend. Anyone know what diameter "poles are connected to these cool saws?
4.Also, are those "pocket saws" ok to use? I know harbor freight sells, a heavy duty version and a smaller version. It is connected to two strings. I guess it wraps around the limb to be cut, and you just hold the handles and move the cutter left and right, cutting and sawing the limb off. I need to know if this cutting device is simply a saw chain on strings??

thanks a bunch everone.
David
"Together we stand, Divided we fall."
"godbless all the troops," Is the world coming to an end???

nope. Please refer to your last thread. Rephrasing the question does not make you sound any less dangerous.

As a professional tree climber for hire, I work for $35-$50 per hour or $200- $300 per day climbing for tree service companies. You could hire a climber for a couple hours a lot cheaper than what the hospital/ funeral expenses would be if you did this yourself.

If you insist on trying to kill yourself and damage your home, the Stihl HT-75 sells for about $600. It will probably do the job. Most tree guys have one on their truck and would probably charge a minimum service call to come to your house and use it to cut off a couple limbs.

This reply is intended to save you some grief, and possibly save you from hurting yourself or damaging your house. I hope you are indeed wide open to some helpful advice. I believe YOU may be more of a threat to your roof than the limb you are concerned about. It is easy to underestimate the size of a limb while overestimating one's abilities, especially if you don't do this type of work every day. I would encourage you to call an arborist, preferably a certified arborist, to come out and evaluate your situation. Most give free estimates and are very helpful.

Don't waste your money on the pocket saw, aka "the high-limb chainsaw".

The swimming pool poles are not compatible with standard pole saws.

The money you spend on a decent pole saw would almost cover the cost of hiring someone to remove 1 or 2 limbs.

Latest posts

Back