Poll: What is the saw to have in the 70-80cc range?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the saw to have in the 70-80cc range?

• Husqvarna 372xp

Votes: 68 25.4%
  • Husqvarna 372 Xtorq

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Stihl 044/440

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Stihl 046/460

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Stihl 461

Votes: 38 14.2%
  • Dolmar 7900/7910

Votes: 73 27.2%
  • Stihl 441/441CM

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Stihl 44/46 hybrid

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Husqvarna 576

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Husqvarna 372xpw

Votes: 31 11.6%

• Total voters
Funny how I never see you comment on those that go on just as endlessly about their 346s, etc. As Mopar noted, my comment was on target and you are not going to suppress my freedom of expression.

Thanks for speaking up Mopar, I appreciate it. Some people just can't resist "jumping on the pile" if you know what I mean.

Mike in all fairness..your a little..excessive :laugh:

Ive been readin on this forum since 2008..your the undisputed champ of talkin about a particular model :laugh:

Ryan, in all fairness I believe I have backed it off, and that my comment in this thread was not excessive, but some people just like to pile on.

I've heard you, and I've tried to adjust my comments, but I should not be expected to remain silent.

And I could give examples of people who are equally infatuated with other saw models, but I won't, I don't do that, but they are out there.

You need to specify which version of the 372 xpw it is about, as the 75cc Version only was sold for a few tears in the US. All other xpws are 71cc, including the xt one. ;)

A really good (the best?) starting point for porting would be a 372xpxt (large carb), with the 75cc non-strato top end....

I'm not a real believer in the 75cc top end being "better".

Consider the case volume.......then the restricted transfer ports. I think the 50mm OE jug is the best for performance. Although the 51.mm jug might have a little wider power band.

7900, if available. Best power to weight ratio ever.

When I take a look a the votes, I think it's a bit sad, the 2 best rated saws (The 7900 and the original 372) are both replaced by less popular saws...

Edit:

But if i had to buy a new one, it'll be a MS461. Or maybe a 461CM when available:p

Consider the case volume.......then the restricted transfer ports. I think the 50mm OE jug is the best for performance. Although the 51.mm jug might have a little wider power band.

I would think "fixing" restrictive transfers is a natural part of porting a saw, as long as there is metal to work with. Is that an issue on those 51.4mm top ends?

I'm not sure a 365 special isn't the best bore size for case capacity of that chassis. They seem to be right at the heels of a 372.

I think 32" is OK. 36 is a little too much. Maybe in softwood. For me, it is the perfect saw for 24 and 28" bars.

Thanks, just wondering is all. My cs8000 only ever had a 36 on it and it oiled perfectly, even without using the manual oiler, just the auto oiler. If it hadn't gotten swiped, it would be ported by now. I really liked it. Granted, a substantial stout heavy saw, but real easy to run and cut great, I can only imagine what it would have been like ported.

Thanks, just wondering is all. My cs8000 only ever had a 36 on it and it oiled perfectly, even without using the manual oiler, just the auto oiler. If it hadn't gotten swiped, it would be ported by now. I really liked it. Granted, a substantial stout heavy saw, but real easy to run and cut great, I can only imagine what it would have been like ported.
My uncle has an older 800/8000,( not sure which), and he likes it a lot.

I would think "fixing" restrictive transfers is a natural part of porting a saw, as long as there is metal to work with. Is that an issue on those 51.4mm top ends?

Most people don't even know they are restrictive......

I'm not sure a 365 special isn't the best bore size for case capacity of that chassis. They seem to be right at the heels of a 372.

I'm right with you on that statement Mike.

My uncle has an older 800/8000,( not sure which), and he likes it a lot.

Stock, not fast but sure start easy and pull some dang chain! Ported I guess you'd get some more speed out of one. I still have a box 0 parts from the one I built, mostly just the block with a toasted top end but maybe the cylinder will clean up, ain't checked yet. If I can find another cheap donor I want to make up another one.

Dang CAD, I have two other 80 cc saws but shoot..... hahahaha!

Ryan, in all fairness I believe I have backed it off, and that my comment in this thread was not excessive, but some people just like to pile on.

I've heard you, and I've tried to adjust my comments, but I should not be expected to remain silent.

And I could give examples of people who are equally infatuated with other saw models, but I won't, I don't do that, but they are out there.

Me for example. I have had over 30 Mastermind ported saws (all over the model spectra) the latest and greatest and also past offerings, and nothing does it for me more than a 288xp followed by a 262xp. To me, they are the ones to beat (that I have tried) and nothing in either class has come close.

Back