Poll: What is the saw to have in the 70-80cc range?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the saw to have in the 70-80cc range?

• Husqvarna 372xp

Votes: 68 25.4%
  • Husqvarna 372 Xtorq

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Stihl 044/440

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Stihl 046/460

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Stihl 461

Votes: 38 14.2%
  • Dolmar 7900/7910

Votes: 73 27.2%
  • Stihl 441/441CM

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Stihl 44/46 hybrid

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Husqvarna 576

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Husqvarna 372xpw

Votes: 31 11.6%

• Total voters
The FI cut off saws are heavy and expensive so unless some pretty drastic changes are made I don't see FI being very popular
dealer cost is 130.00 more for a 14" quik-cut. we have sold several ts500i's just due to fact that the FI will help keep the saw alive longer. lots of contractors were burning up the carb saws every year (due to poor maint.), and the FI are definately harder to kill. no service issues thus far. stihl is admittedly saying that m-tronic is a stepping stone for chainsaws. i had also heard that dolmar was playing around with FI?

dealer cost is 130.00 more for a 14" quik-cut. we have sold several ts500i's just due to fact that the FI will help keep the saw alive longer. lots of contractors were burning up the carb saws every year (due to poor maint.), and the FI are definately harder to kill. no service issues thus far. stihl is admittedly saying that m-tronic is a stepping stone for chainsaws. i had also heard that dolmar was playing around with FI?
Heard rumblings of at/mt Dolmar but that they weren't happy with reliability and performance yet. That info was through about 100 people so who knows how true it is

In stock form 441 or 372?Iwould have to go with the 372,my 441 has been ported by dozerdan,its a bad boy.But my 372 will be massaged by mm in march,i know its gonna be a bad boy! 372 final answer!!

Scott, maybe it is just me, but "in the wood" my 044s feels smooth. Out of the wood I can notice a little more vibration.

Compared to my old Homelites, they are super smooth! I really did not notice any noticeable difference between my 441 and 044. The biggest difference I noticed was I could not cut stumps as close to the ground with the 441. The AV widened the handle.

Scott, maybe it is just me, but "in the wood" my 044s feels smooth. Out of the wood I can notice a little more vibration.

Compared to my old Homelites, they are super smooth! I really did not notice any noticeable difference between my 441 and 044. The biggest difference I noticed was I could not cut stumps as close to the ground with the 441. The AV widened the handle.

Mike how low do you need your stumps to be ? Are these for customers ?

If i was buying a saw that is still available and was gonna pay my morgage and feed me its gotta be a 461 out of that list good simple old fashioned saw , had a real bad run with saws that start with 5 and end in autotune and wont go near another , dunno about 7900 ive never even seen one popular on hear tho !

Ryan, I'm not talking about in the woods, but when removing from someone's lawn, and you want the mover to go over it w/o hitting the stump.

The 044 gets much closer to the ground.

I often remove storm damaged trees on lawns.

Mike how low do you need your stumps to be ? Are these for customers ?
Hey Ryan, Go easy on Mike. He is getting his thoughts in line for the book he is writing.... "1,001 reasons why a Stihl 10mm 044, DP muffler, HD2 filter and a square filed chain IS the best chainsaw on the planet!!" Always was and always will be, THEE BEST!:D

Im not knocking your saw one bit or any 044 for that matter, they are a fine saw.
What im getting at is... well, have your heard a broken record before? Thats what you sound like talking about your 044.
I know your proud of your 044 and thats great Mike.
Maybe you can put something in your sig line so you dont have repeat it so many times.:)

Carry on fellas.

Im not knocking your saw one bit or any 044 for that matter, they are a fine saw.
What im getting at is... well, have your heard a broken record before? Thats what you sound like talking about your 044.
Maybe you can put something in your sig line so you dont have repeat it so many times.:)

Carry on fellas.
I don't mind seeing Mike comment on his 044 in a thread about 70-80cc saws .......... it is a public forum, and the OP did ask what is the saw to have in 70-80cc class.
Now, if he commented about his 044 in a 390 thread, then I would agree with you, but he has calmed down since his "earlier" days.

My main saw is my 385, and I am quite fond of it.... but prior to me getting this bad boy, I ran a borrowed 7900. It was smooth as butter with a 32" bar and it never game me a problem. I didn't own it, just ran it, and it was sold to a local logger that borrowed it and fell in love with it, and took it away from my "borrowing" stash. :(

You need to specify which version of the 372 xpw it is about, as the 75cc Version only was sold for a few tears in the US. All other xpws are 71cc, including the xt one. ;)

A really good (the best?) starting point for porting would be a 372xpxt (large carb), with the 75cc non-strato top end....

Carry on fellas.

Funny how I never see you comment on those that go on just as endlessly about their 346s, etc. As Mopar noted, my comment was on target and you are not going to suppress my freedom of expression.

Thanks for speaking up Mopar, I appreciate it. Some people just can't resist "jumping on the pile" if you know what I mean.

Latest posts

Back