Poor Apple Trees!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaars

Big Wood
Reaction score
View attachment 287779View attachment 287780View attachment 287781View attachment 287782 A buddy of mine owns an orchard and every year we have to remove 1-200 perfectly good apple trees to make room for different varieties of trees. It almost hurts to do this as they are producing trees but just needs new trees.
This year I did cut about 50 or so trunks from them as to have some smoking apple wood next year. Did some videos but am having computer issues. will try again, John

Keep it all for the woodstove.
Apple and hickory are almost identical btu values.
Apple when burnt in a woodstove gives of a wonderful perfume around your house and each time you open the stove to pop another log in some of the wonderful apple smell sneaks into the house.

Not to mention what a wonderful cooking wood and smoking wood it is.

Keep it all for the woodstove.
Apple and hickory are almost identical btu values.
Apple when burnt in a woodstove gives of a wonderful perfume around your house and each time you open the stove to pop another log in some of the wonderful apple smell sneaks into the house.

Not to mention what a wonderful cooking wood and smoking wood it is.

I heard it has a lot of BTU's I didn't know that until the owner told me that the other day. I don't have a stove, I have an OWB and I have a lot of other straight wood. Apple is hard to fool with, shorts, crooks, don't get a lot for the effort. I did keep a dumptruck load to fool with later.

jaars,

A small saw maybe 12"-14" bar stihl ms 170 or small huskie will make quick work of an apple tree.
Especially if you are just cutting it to a size that just fits in the OWB.
Worth the time to cut it all up and as many as you can get.
A sharp pair of powerful prune shears would take care of 80% of it even faster that the small saw.

A saw with a big bar 16" or bigger will be much more work.

jaars,

A small saw maybe 12"-14" bar stihl ms 170 or small huskie will make quick work of an apple tree.
Especially if you are just cutting it to a size that just fits in the OWB.
Worth the time to cut it all up and as many as you can get.
A sharp pair of powerful prune shears would take care of 80% of it even faster that the small saw.

A saw with a big bar 16" or bigger will be much more work.

I have a MS 170, but too much trouble for what I would get out of it. Only a 2 man crew and am getting paid to remove trees, I have to remove them now. From Last job, im bringing that wood home. Pic of woodpile.View attachment 287815

I just bought a home next to an orchard. Helped the owner burn the prunings last week . When we was done he told me he took out 6 old trees last fall and I was welcome to them. I'm going to get them sometime this week after it dries out . Glad to know they will serve a dual purpose.

That one way to weed the garden! Yank em out!

Too bad you had to do it fast, offering apple wood cheap to the wood scroungers would have gotten a lot of that cut up I bet. The largest apple orchard I worked at sold a ton of firewood from their take downs and trims. Apple wood is grade A #1 primo wood, ya, twisty, but worth the work! So little of it needs splitting, just cut to stove fittable size.

Back