Pop ups and windows. Your thoughts.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote something on it in the "Seen it on Craigslist/eBay" thread about 3 weeks ago. Just about everything he writes about is a gimmick of some sort but to top it all off I went looking back through his feedback and low and behold, someone has bought a 346 from him. :biggrin:

Is this the 346 with the silver tape all around the handle bar?

Stage 5 Port Polish!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Is that tape or resin he coated the piston top and exhaust port with? It looks like resin, but it wrinkles like tape.

Catch me up.....

Why, again, is everyone bashing this ebay seller?

He seems to be performing the standard "treat the engine like it's a V-8 cylinder head", 'port' job that goes over so well here on AS.

Is the bashing because his pricing is out of line?

Really care to explain what and who?

Why don't you post up some of you're work.

Not sure I understand the question here????

To rephrase my first post....

This guy on eBay seems to be doing all the stuff that I see in 'porting' threads here on AS. I was confused why everyone was speaking poorly of his work.

I feel like I'm missing the joke......that's why I asked.

It appears a 562 is for sale by the ad., the pictures look to be a 346 to me. The sales pitch speaks for itself. The whole ceramic bearings, 200 to 1 oil mix, 30 or 32 inch bar, and the special sparkplug sounds kinda farfetched. Not saying anything bad, but doesn't sound like a deal I would get involved with. I would like to see a video of the saw in some wood.

To stay on subject, I wonder if a pop up piston would help the 562 as advertised? :msp_unsure:

Catch me up.....

Why, again, is everyone bashing this ebay seller?

He seems to be performing the standard "treat the engine like it's a V-8 cylinder head", 'port' job that goes over so well here on AS.

Is the bashing because his pricing is out of line?

It's not the pricing so much as it's the appearance of certain things.
The base of the cylinder obviously wasn't cut on a lathe or a mill, it looks hand-done. You can't get
real precision with a file by hand when cutting the base of a cylinder. If the base isn't square, the saw
isn't going to last long.
The transfer ports are way hogged out, which is not conducive to real power, especially in the smaller
quad-port saws.

I think people are critiquing more than bashing, but you need to understand that there are some
serious enthusiasts on this site. We're talking about people who've purchased commercial-grade
lathes and mills and have learned how to use them for small engine modification.

This guy on eBay seems to be doing all the stuff that I see in 'porting' threads here on AS. I was confused why everyone was speaking poorly of his work.

Not to mention there's professional machinists and fabricators here who do serious, precision work and they're livelihood depends on top-grade results.

You made a pretty blanket statement about the people on this site, saying they do just as poor quality work like this fellow in question. I was simply asking you to back up you're statement. And since you seem to know how it's supposed to be done, sine you're qualified to comment on said port work, that you post up some of you're pro work for us all to see how it's supposed to be done.

It's not the pricing so much as it's the appearance of certain things.
The base of the cylinder obviously wasn't cut on a lathe or a mill, it looks hand-done. You can't get
real precision with a file by hand when cutting the base of a cylinder. If the base isn't square, the saw
isn't going to last long.
The transfer ports are way hogged out, which is not conducive to real power, especially in the smaller
quad-port saws.

I think people are critiquing more than bashing, but you need to understand that there are some
serious enthusiasts on this site. We're talking about people who've purchased commercial-grade
lathes and mills and have learned how to use them for small engine modification.

Thanks for the civil answer. I suppose I hadn't noted the quality of the surface finish....etc. I just took a quick glance at his ad and noted that he was selling a rather expensive 'ported' saw. That's about where I jumped in and asked to be 'caught up'. I didn't realize it was so easy to inadvertently 'step in it' here on AS. :)

You made a pretty blanket statement about the people on this site, saying they do just as poor quality work like this fellow in question. I was simply asking you to back up you're statement. And since you seem to know how it's supposed to be done, sine you're qualified to comment on said port work, that you post up some of you're pro work for us all to see how it's supposed to be done.

See above. I never realized that I was 'saying' anything about the quality of anyone's work. Sorry if that rubbed you the wrong way.

Thanks for the civil answer. I suppose I hadn't noted the quality of the surface finish....etc. I just took a quick glance at his ad and noted that he was selling a rather expensive 'ported' saw. That's about where I jumped in and asked to be 'caught up'. I didn't realize it was so easy to inadvertently 'step in it' here on AS. :)

I've seen the Ad several times myself and actually, if it wasn't so gimmicky and the finish of the porting work (and machining of the cylinder) was a lot
better, then it would be a hotrod little saw. Obviously the seller wants to produce a good commodity but he hasn't done his homework. The guys
here that build strong, strong saws could give him some pointers for sure.

I've seen the Ad several times myself and actually, if it wasn't so gimmicky and the finish of the porting work (and machining of the cylinder) was a lot
better, then it would be a hotrod little saw. Obviously the seller wants to produce a good commodity but he hasn't done his homework. The guys
here that build strong, strong saws could give him some pointers for sure.

From the sound of his adds I think he'd try to give the builders from this site some pointers. :hmm3grin2orange:
Something tells me that you couldn't get him to shut up long enough to tell him anything.

I don't venture out of the fight thread very often, but there has been some good reading in this on port work and such. My take is that I have been doing mild in and out porting on a few saws now with good results, not doing much with the transfers but I have been opening up the windows a little more to lighten the piston more than anything. I can see the merit in pop-ups but I do not have much experience with them.

Latest posts

Back