Poplar near dad's house

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big daddio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been puttin it off for a while, but finally got after it. poplar died last year. had to put a cable to it to winch it down. had a completely dead top. put the hard hat on to wedge it a little. all went well. 32 inches at the stump. next log it out for the bandsaw.:cheers:

Last edited:
Yellow poplar, and i know what ya mean about the bark. and we use poplar a lot around here for all purpose lumber. it's a matter of opinion but i like it for furniture & cabinets and such too.

Definitely some nice lumber in that tree.

Is it me or has the base been covered with dirt at some point? I don't see any root flare.

root flare

buzz
i don't know how much difference there is between yellow poplar and tulip poplar, but around my area the poplars don't show root flare. they come out of the ground like they're burried a few feet.

Definitely some nice lumber in that tree.

Is it me or has the base been covered with dirt at some point? I don't see any root flare.

Sharp eye there. that's what i suspected caused the demise of this tree. it appeared water runoff had carried soil downhill around the base of the tree. yeah, dad has a tractor with a front end loader too. didn't ask him!!!!!:cheers:

buzz
i don't know how much difference there is between yellow poplar and tulip poplar, but around my area the poplars don't show root flare. they come out of the ground like they're burried a few feet.

Both are the same tree - Liriodendron tulipifera L. I'll take a closer look at some we have.

Back