Poplars with crane

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reg

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Some poplar trees we removed just recently.

Not all the trees on the site could be craned as we couldn’t quite reach the furthest ones. The techniques are pretty standard stuff. The wind might have been a real problem had we not had so much air-space, and the fact that it was blowing the limbs only to the side and not away from the crane.

Yes I know about the left handed stuff in the second vid, but sometimes the safest and most stable work position outweighs the other. Thanks

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mbvpIfAs_I

Part2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tBtmQwFLZY

reg, do you get payed by the pick? you must be filthy rich!

saw you broke out the spider sling....lol. the view i got from your helmet tells me you only needed one sling.

i didn't watch part2. did you set any eye hooks for the wood? bust out the ratchet thing?

Yeah if they only could make decisions, saw with a seperate boom and hook up the limb themselves we could stay home on the couch.:)

Last edited:
Thanks guys. The removal of those trees was actually the first move by a utilities company in re-claiming a piece of land that had been adopted by the residents of the adjacent houses. I'd kind of expected some bad feeling on their part towards us but thankfully job went ok without incident.

Speaking of bad feeling

saw you broke out the spider sling....lol. the view i got from your helmet tells me you only needed one sling.

i didn't watch part2. did you set any eye hooks for the wood? bust out the ratchet thing?

A little mean spirited of you again Old Dirty. What is your real name?

FWIW, I'll be at your TCI expo in November. If you genuinely have an issue with me then please come and voice it in person, look for the Stein USA stall, I'm about 5'9 with a name tag on 'Reg'....I'm a good listener.

where this tci thing going to be? boston?

reg. mean spirited? you saw the lol. i just get an absolute kick out of them. novel idea mind you but in my eyes kinda overkill.

let me paint you a picture with nary a spider leg to be found.

we are set up over 3phase on a red oak 86ft away (laser sighted) which puts us at like good for 3200lbs tops and we need every damn inch we can to do this tree and when i say inches....

we just worked the top out and now i am looking at a loooong lateral lead with 2 partial (1 with another branch running parallel to the ground) uprights that reach and then sorta go sideways from competing with the top.

did i mention the completely obstructed view for the crane op? totally blind.

on the hook are two yellow 14ft slings with these totally kick ass yellow hooks that snap and good for 6k or so. (no more twisting shackles or removing the slings from the hook for me!) also the red sling and bigger hook setup is good 10k. well the hooks are good for 10k the slings a bit more.

anyway. so i direct myself to about 3/4's the way out towards the tip of this piece and then set the one sling on the the upright with the lower branch that runs parallel. all i did here was half hitch the upright and then wrap on the lower branch. then slung the other upright on my left right to where i had even pull.

limbwalked backwards to about where 3k lbs came into my mental tree vision and stood on the what appeared to be the perfect placement for another limb to grow from. because from where this particular limb grew it was about another 3k or so of wood left to the trunk. a lovely little branch to perch on. buzzard like for a moment.

here i am reg. standing here so very comfortably in a ####### tense situation talking to my crane op telling him he about to love this move i am pulling off. reg, we were talking about you my friend!(not about you about you but you were the topic) he asked "would reg be proud?" and i said hell yeah man, he'd be fired up for this ****!

anyway reg. i fire up my 460magnum3/4wrap and proceed to put one helluva shelf on this thing. it was perfect reg. bypassed by about 6inches and the same for the seperation of kerfs. i gotta say man it was beautiful. the perfect step on about 20 inch wood cause it was going to the chipper anyway.

i made that cut from the comfy confines of the branch turned the saw off and put her back on my hip. told the crane hang on and then rap'd fast to the ground pulled my line and gave the ok. actually what i said was "cable down a touch...." till i heard that lovely wood pop.and then i said "ok man. cable up."

now reg. i **** you not man this piece did not even move when he picked it up. not even a droop. "how much" i say. "3" he says. when the piece came into his view i get "niiiiice. just took the sting outta that one."

now why did i take this pick the particular way i did? well reg 2 details (uniformed cops directing traffic) cost loot and we was done after that particular oak tree heading into a weeklong break so i just figured it would be more prudent to just get the job done.

hell man the way i saw it was like i can do this tree in 4more picks (wood picks) or 8 more pics. did i mention i hate working near wires reg? no cowboy here bro either. i don't screw around near them wires.

but i knew what the crane was good for and i knew the rig'n was sweet. just me, my big saw,and 2 slangs and together we got the Acrew out of work just before noon on a friday....

and my name is justin btw. pm if you'd like my last name.

I'll answer in Bold

where this tci thing going to be? boston? Pittsburgh

reg. mean spirited?you saw the lol. Are you laughing at your own attempt at humour? Getting ahead of yourself again….Let me be the judge of how funny you are, how about that....FWIW I dont think you're there yet!

i just get an absolute kick out of them. novel idea mind you but in my eyes kinda overkill. A while back we wouldn’t have been too far apart on this. I spent years telling people I didn’t need this or that, but upon trying the spiders/stabilizers, I could see where they were actually alright. The draw backs was them getting snagged on their way through a canopy, blowing off course in the wind, and /or getting in the way when I didn’t need them….so I made a bag and now I’m happy.

let me paint you a picture with nary a spider leg to be found.

we are set up over 3phase on a red oak 86ft away (laser sighted) which puts us at like good for 3200lbs tops and we need every damn inch we can to do this tree and when i say inches....

we just worked the top out and now i am looking at a loooong lateral lead with 2 partial (1 with another branch running parallel to the ground) uprights that reach and then sorta go sideways from competing with the top.

did i mention the completely obstructed view for the crane op? totally blind.

on the hook are two yellow 14ft slings with these totally kick ass yellow hooks that snap and good for 6k or so. (no more twisting shackles or removing the slings from the hook for me!) also the red sling and bigger hook setup is good 10k. well the hooks are good for 10k the slings a bit more.

anyway. so i direct myself to about 3/4's the way out towards the tip of this piece and then set the one sling on the the upright with the lower branch that runs parallel. all i did here was half hitch the upright and then wrap on the lower branch. then slung the other upright on my left right to where i had even pull.

limbwalked backwards to about where 3k lbs came into my mental tree vision and stood on the what appeared to be the perfect placement for another limb to grow from. because from where this particular limb grew it was about another 3k or so of wood left to the trunk. a lovely little branch to perch on. buzzard like for a moment.

here i am reg. standing here so very comfortably in a ####### tense situation On tuesday evening some lowlife snuck into my kitchen while I was running a bath for my daughter, she is 16 months old. He stole my keys and slipped back out without so much as a sound.

I have everything on that key-ring....my house, garage and truck etc. And one can only assume that he didn't just take them for his love of keys, hence, I know something is coming.

My biggest worry is not being here when it happens. You could say I'm a little tense about that situation....tree/crane-work is not even blip on my radar.

talking to my crane op telling him he about to love this move i am pulling off. reg, we were talking about you my friend!(not about you about you but you were the topic) he asked "would reg be proud?" and i said hell yeah man, he'd be fired up for this ****!

anyway reg. i fire up my 460magnum3/4wrap…..

Ok I get the picture, nicely written, I can well appreciate your predicament in that moment….but Justin, my friend, it is truly wasted on me….and is nothing new after-all.

Clearly you have a great appetite for the job you do and I sense real comradeship between you and your guys, fantastic…sincerely. But for me, personally I haven’t had that buzz in over a decade, at least. The most exiting part of my working day is when I set off to drive home, to catch up with my wife and little gal. That’s where its at for me brother, no offence.

i didn't watch part2.

You assume far too much….let me re-write your post more appropriately:

What’s the lift capacity of that crane?

How far were you reaching, and what was your WLL at that distance?

How safe were the outriggers?

How true a perspective does the 110 degree lens on your camera give compared to the naked eye, or standard video camera?

On the last pick on the second video, what was the siren that I could hear?

Now how much easier would that have been? And it would have taken me a lot less time to reply. Obviously the answers would explain our limitations throught the task. Thanks

I wonder if OD's first date with a girl consists of him driving her to the yard and letting her sit in the seat of "his" rig , followed by 3hrs of him taking the long way out to bar showing her all the stump mulch piles of his latest victims ..... OD you may be a great crane climber but I question your enthusiasm yo may need to invest in a life ...

"Some guy snuck in and stole my keys while I was giving my daughter a bath."

Man that is cause for some serious apprehension. Is your equipment vulnerable or worse yet do you think he has bad intentions regarding your house? If so he likely would have acted then? Are you allowed to arm yourselves over there?

Good luck bud. It'll fade away with time.

Man that is cause for some serious apprehension. Is your equipment vulnerable or worse yet do you think he has bad intentions regarding your house? If so he likely would have acted then? Are you allowed to arm yourselves over there?

Good luck bud. It'll fade away with time.

Dave when you have no idea who your dealing with its impossible guess how serious the threat. Generally the ones who do it for a living just watch and wait....

Ive changed all the locks and now just have to fit an immobiliser on the truck early next week.

The law here is just appalling regarding intruders i.e. you are allowed to use 'reasonable force' to get the intruder off the property, but if you hurt them too much they can actually take you to court. There have been many publicized cases here where the homeowner has ended up being the one with a conviction and in some instances in jail, and thats the truth.

I think the best part of those videos is the fact that your run a relatively quiet work site , other than the sounds of the equipment I heard no screaming or cursing , I think that alone shows a certain level of expertise , your jobsite is run like a fine well oiled machine ... I think to much clatter makes people very unsettled and scares the HO and surrounding neighbors ..

I was making a pic last friday and asked the crane operator if the sling would handle it... he said the piece was about 6500, and the sling was rated for 7800... I said "that's a little close isn't it?

He said I could break out the 13,000 sling... I said thank you.. afterwards I asked what the piece weighed.. 6200...

This guy is the master, so I was just following his lead.. first crane day in about a year...

Reg,
Are you sure you couldn't have misplaced the keys or the little gal might have thrown them out by accident... that seems more likely than an intruder.. and GOOD ON YA for making the family come first..

I agree....the fam ALWAYS comes first and....after you been around the block a slew of times....everything becomes routine. Doesn't mean he doesn't love the job.

I agree....the fam ALWAYS comes first and....after you been around the block a slew of times....everything becomes routine. Doesn't mean he doesn't love the job.

I second that , family first , but I really haven't felt that excitement for work in a while aswell , I would just as soon play hookie and take the kids to the lake now , or knock off early and go watch a game .....

hey reg. 2 sorry's and 2 sucks. first sorry to hear about the house that sucks and also sorry to hear you don't love your job that sucks as well.

Thanks. I do have good days, but more that I get a kick out of watching other people improve. Although the flipside of that comes with the frustration of seeing others just not getting it, not trying, or even wanting to move forward at all....the latter being the most difficult one for me to comprehend.

More recently I have dabbled a little in product development which is good for me because it stops me getting stale with the day-to-day climbing. It's refreshing, you know!

Reg,
Are you sure you couldn't have misplaced the keys or the little gal might have thrown them out by accident... that seems more likely than an intruder

Dan I wish, but you just know when you've been had!

We also found out from the police that several other places have been done in the area just recently.....one, a neighbour only 100 yards up the road. They broke his door down and actually got away in his car. Its cool now though, I'm feeling less mad about it by the day and have everything pretty much covered.

I think the best part of those videos is the fact that your run a relatively quiet work site , other than the sounds of the equipment I heard no screaming or cursing

Its all in a days work, bad feeling on site is the last thing anyone wants. We all just want to be about our business and go home, with a few laughs along the way of course. Thanks again

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back