ported 359 vs stock 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i didnt touch the lower intake.

did you take shiny area out and blend it into the transfer. dang i think that my be the only thing i do now.

thanks for the pic. that should pull more volume more fuel more power. i widend the intake more than i thought. maybe ill bump the exhaust alittle do the lower intake and rip some big wood tomorrow with the rsf chain. dang it i should done a before test run today

thanks again, the pics speak a thousand words

Evan

Thanks for the pics guys! evan do you have a macro setting for close ups I am njo camera wiz? I would for one would really like to see what you guys are doing to these 359s.

Kansas

ive mest around with it and havent seen a macro setting. ill have to get the destructions and see if it does

timberwolf knows what hes doing im just playing,

i cant beleive i didnt notice the fuel was on the lower intake. the cylinder is overhanging the bottom end right there and is getn fuel washed, thats why its so shiny, i may gain alot right there. im kinda exscited to start grindn tommorrow.

got go get the kids from baby sitter now.

thanks

Evan

getn tools ready report later. testn in 34" inch willow with stihl RSF chain on 24" bar.

all im gona do is the lower transfers and touch up the exhaust. everything else is done

changed my mind im going to test with the RSC chain, id rather test with it since i kinda hve a feel for the RSC. plus RSF looks hard as all get out to sharpen so ill save it for tree job.

Last edited:
workn on lower transfer, tryn a pic. timberwolf gave me tip to get the pics to turn out,

i was tryn to zoom in on the pic but i dont seem to have a picturre program that will do it. or even just crop it. ive got some paint shop program and thats it

Last edited:
workn on lower transfer, tryn a pic. timberwolf gave me tip to get the pics to turn out,

i was tryn to zoom in on the pic but i dont seem to have a picturre program that will do it. or even just crop it. ive got some paint shop program and thats it

You need a Macro setting if your going to get any good pics of the cylinder ports. Is there a little flower icon anywhere, if so press that, or look in the manual for it, then zoom all the way out and put the camera as close as you can and still be in focus.

If it does not have a macro then just take it as close as you can and have in in focus, then before resizing crop down to zoom in on what you want to show, try to get it down to ~600 to 800 pixels if you can, if not then resize.

What model of camera do you have, then maybe I can offer more assistance.

Pushing a 359 like that,wont this saw be a ticking time bomb?I havent modded saws beyond a muffler mod,but im very familiar with modding snowmobiles,and motorcycles.I just see it as a matter of time before it gets too hot,and seizes.I only see it useful for short bursts ,flying thru smaller wood,and smaller cuts.Running big bar in big wood,big load,being air cooled,I can see you posting pics of the scuffed piston skirt,and melted top ring land now......

John after a certain point you are correct, things will get too hot or too fast and something will give. However a good woods ported saw is nothing like a race saw. A good woods ported saw will live a long healthy life. You really need to take into consideration a stock chainsaw engine is tuned very conservatively.

John after a certain point you are correct, things will get too hot or too fast and something will give. However a good woods ported saw is nothing like a race saw. A good woods ported saw will live a long healthy life. You really need to take into consideration a stock chainsaw engine is tuned very conservatively.

Thank you! I figured they were tuned a little soft for longevity.I didntk now how far you could take one ,and at what point it would stick the piston,or melt the exhaust side ring land. Of course,ive done both of those several times"tuning" air cooled 2 strokes,LOL.:(

camera is a GE h1055

tried the flower thing on cup of coffee

i pretty much have no doubts that timberwolfs 359 is going to spank the pants off the stock 372. mine is now much much much faster wearing a 24" RSC chain. its not even close to what a 359 should be

maybe it will blow up but ut has been fun , one of these days ill work it to death in big wood with the 24" bar the stihl 310 will play back up if the 359 dies screamin through the wood.

Evan

359 ported can run quite nicely putting out up close to 7hp, that puts it hp wise in with 90cc saws and in small wood cut times agree with that. 359 wont have any where near the torque and makes the power up closer to 12,000 RPM vs 9,000 or so for a 90cc stock saw. But in smaller wood where it can hold the RPM it will cut amazingly fast.

359 is a pretty tough saw, it will take some HP, for racing I figgure had it puting out about 10 hp or so here on pump gas and muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-iKroEAU14

Last edited:
Got a few videos, no larger wood on hand though.

ported 261 and 359 are about dead even with square chain, with round the 359 has a little more torque and beats the 361 by a bar nose.

Stock 372 gets smoke by a little better than 20%

All running same chain (pretty decent chain)

372 Stock 1.68 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpxgQ65DjfQ

361 ported 1.39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoWbf1zwuS4

359 ported 1.38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71OsyGKgHdk

Did not upload the videos, but stock muffler mod 660 cut 1.25 and stock 880 1.22 (same 8 tooth gear, so these two could gain some with taller gears)

Last edited:
thanks for the vids,

looks like the 359 does do well agaisnt the stock 372

thanks again

Evan

Nice work,thank you for taking the time to do the research,and work,and videos and post it all here.All I've heard was how great a saw the 372 is.I have been debating the 372vs 7900.I just took a 372 off the top of my most wanted list,knocked it down a notch,and put the 7900 at the top due to power. I can see the stihl screams,but seems to lack torque,losing rpm quickly in the cut,the 359 sounds like its putting out more torque.The 372 sounds like it is hardly working next the ported saws.Wonder how much a similarly ported 372 would wax the 359?

Latest posts

Back