ported 50cc or 60cc saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clifforion

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi there I am looking into getting a smaller saw for myself. I am thinking of getting a saw that can run a 20" bar ( or an 18" would work also but really was shooting for 20), and was wondering if a ported 50cc saw would pull a 20" bar extremely well in hardwood? I have a stock 346xp at work with an 18" and I know how that works and it does pull an 18" bar ok. I am looking for something that will really rip a 20" bar and was wondering if a ported 50cc would do that? I know a 60cc saw is bigger and should pull a 20" better, but would a stock 60cc saw really be better? To even throw into the mix how about a 20" bar on a 60cc saw stock or ported? Never ran a 60cc saw so I have nothing to compare to.

What I am getting this saw for is to take climbing mostly (after my top handle) but it will see if fair share of ground work also. I have a mix of hardwood and softwood probably more hardwood.
I have a 660 for anything bigger but really could use a small saw. I was looking to get a 70cc saw but got an awesome deal on a 660 and got that instead. I know I do need a 70cc saw but am looking for a small saw right now for when my top handle just doesn't cut it anymore.

Thank you for your time
Keith

562xpat

Perfect production saw to run a 20" bar in all kinds of wood. In the 60cc/20" battle, It's the lightest, most powerful, cheapest, and has the best sideways balance while in the cut.

The new Husqvarna models 562xp is generally considered the top of the line followed by the Stihl 362. A nice alternative is the Echo 600(that gets high praises here), Efco/Oleo Mac 162(that also gets high praises here) or Solo 656(I know technically a 56cc saw in a 50cc saw package) if you don't need the major brands.

Get a good used 044 for around $300-$400 and end of story. Why put the money in a 60cc saw? the weight of the saw is apparently not a problem for you and the 044 weighs under 14 lbs which is close to and less than some 60cc saws

I love my ported 361, but if I had it to do again, I would have sold that saw and gotten a new 261 and had it worked over.

A properly ported MS261 will pull 20" 3/8 without any problem.....

X2......My ported 261 18" is crazy fast and strong. It takes the place of 60cc and 70cc saws(unless ported). Ported 50cc is definitely the way to go. 261,346,550 and you wont be sorry.

I'm in the PNW and my 261 has ran 20" 3/8" b/c alot with no problems but 18" 3/8" is on it mostly because I have bigger saw's

DSC_7471.jpg

Thanks for the info

Thanks to all that replied. I have been seriously considering the 550xp as my next saw, I like the autotune idea. I just wasn't sure if a ported one would pull a 20" bar. I have an echo top handle that I like but its limited. I don't really do many big jobs yet as I do not have enough gear but the more I do the more seems come along and they seem to get bigger which means I really need a bigger saw in the tree. I am not brand specific just was wondering if a 50cc ported saw would really shine like I want. Like I say it will be on the ground also and if I am spending the money I want something that will really rock in a smallish package.
Again thank you for your time everyone,
Keith

I have a number of thoughts on this subject. For me, the answer is jon cs2153 or 2152. Or hus 346 or 353. Because you already, presumably, have Stihl bars, the ms261 might be the best fit for you.

I have a hus 262xp, in good shape and tune it is one of the best 60cc saws out there. It sits, looking pretty, while I mostly use a 50cc saw.

With your lineup, I would be looking into a 562 or 372. For what you want it for, I would probably opt for the 562, even though I love the 372.
Really love the 550, but dont know that I would go that route if you have a 346 and are satisfied with it. I keep a 16" bar on mine, and have never messed with anything longer.

Thanks to all that replied. I have been seriously considering the 550xp as my next saw, I like the autotune idea. I just wasn't sure if a ported one would pull a 20" bar. I have an echo top handle that I like but its limited. I don't really do many big jobs yet as I do not have enough gear but the more I do the more seems come along and they seem to get bigger which means I really need a bigger saw in the tree. I am not brand specific just was wondering if a 50cc ported saw would really shine like I want. Like I say it will be on the ground also and if I am spending the money I want something that will really rock in a smallish package.
Again thank you for your time everyone,
Keith

Any of the top 50cc saws ported will pull 20" bar just fine.

550xp would be a fine choice!!!

You guys are fast

Dang I had some more thoughts I was going to add and there are a lot of post I had to just read. I have the ehco top handle and have a 12+16 in bar right now...I do as much of the of a tree as I can with that till I have to block down the truck wood that is to big, and out comes the 660 which sucks but its all I have. My friend has a 372 which I can borrow here and there but its not an ideal situation. I am not a fan of the 660 for any reason but it was a fantastic deal. I really wanted a 576 or 441, but couldn't pass up the deal. Anyway I still do not have a saw one up from a tophandle and was trying to kill 2 or more birds with one stone and look into a ported 50cc saw for in the tree and ground work. Then get a 70cc or so saw and port that...that is my long term plan but that is down the road a little ways.
I was just really curious about a 50cc ported saw running a 20" bar in hard wood, that right this second would be ideal if it would rip that and it sounds like it will.
Thanks Keith

Dang I had some more thoughts I was going to add and there are a lot of post I had to just read. I have the ehco top handle and have a 12+16 in bar right now...I do as much of the of a tree as I can with that till I have to block down the truck wood that is to big, and out comes the 660 which sucks but its all I have. My friend has a 372 which I can borrow here and there but its not an ideal situation. I am not a fan of the 660 for any reason but it was a fantastic deal. I really wanted a 576 or 441, but couldn't pass up the deal. Anyway I still do not have a saw one up from a tophandle and was trying to kill 2 or more birds with one stone and look into a ported 50cc saw for in the tree and ground work. Then get a 70cc or so saw and port that...that is my long term plan but that is down the road a little ways.
I was just really curious about a 50cc ported saw running a 20" bar in hard wood, that right this second would be ideal if it would rip that and it sounds like it will.
Thanks Keith

After reading this post I'm thinking a 562XP would be better for you....

A 20" bar really is 70cc + territory imo, but it all depends on your conditions and the exact saw + your expectations regarding cutting speed - there are no firm rules! :msp_wink:

After reading this post I'm thinking a 562XP would be better for you....

Thank you, I think I have my answer I was wanting someone who really knows how a saw will run after porting. If you suggest the 562 you would be one that knows what a 50cc ported will and won't do. I am not sure yet exactly when I will do this, there is a new one on that loved auction site right now pretty cheap...I don't think my wife will like the idea all that much right this second though....after the next few days though she may come around.
Thanks tons for your help.
Keith

Back