Possible MS 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountain_man

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an option of buying an MS 440 saw that does not run. Gets spark to the plug but will not fire. Compression feels good on the pull starter. What do you think this saw might be worth? Think around 90 is a good price? Saw looks to be in pretty good shape not overly worn either. Thanks

Is their any common cause to this? Should I do the standard thing and start at fuel and work further from there? I'm guessing it's someone adjusting a carb who didn't have a clue. Could also be the same as my 361 and missing a ground. Any other thoughts on stuff that are perhaps common? Thanks

No sense taking it apart until you have identified the cause of it not running. I would start with a compession check.....less than 140 it is time to pull the cylinder off and freshen things up. Squirt a bit of fuel mix down the carb throat and try to start it.....if it fires and then dies when the fuel runs out it is time to take the carb apart and clean it and replace the diaprhagms and check and/or replace the fuel and impulse hoses. If the engine has good compression and the fuel down the carb doesn't get you anything.....it is probably ignition.

You better start drivin' before someone on here figures out where it is. It is all about being friends until there is a good saw up for grabs cheap.... $90 is stupid cheap if it is in good shape.

You better start drivin' before someone on here figures out where it is. It is all about being friends until there is a good saw up for grabs cheap.... $90 is stupid cheap if it is in good shape.

Ya, your'e not gone yet?

90 bucks is stealing it... probably only need a new fuel filter... or go through the carby.

If ya got spark and compression, and it still won't fire... fuel delivery will be the culprit.

Gary

id pay 90 for it.

i think if compression was 140 id run it. my 044 only had 120/125 so i didnt even try tore it down and am acid cleaning the cylinder. actualy been acid cleaning it for awhile it was scored pretty bad across the exhaust port but shes cleaning up very very well.

good luck with yours

Back