Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happiness

Happiness is a full woodshed at the end of winter -- 16 cords harvested, bucked, and hand split.
attachment.php

Me too! Looks great and feels great, I bet. It's nice to know that part of the years work is done. Although you never really get done collecting firewood, do you?:msp_unsure:

Ron

Actually I'm a bit sanguine about collecting firewood. While you never really get done collecting it, it is a healthy endeavor and provides a lot of self satisfaction.

Happiness is a full woodshed at the end of winter -- 16 cords harvested, bucked, and hand split.
attachment.php

What are the dimensions of your shed? Do you stack it other places as well? I am having a difficult time seeing 16 cords there. Not trying to pick a fight, just curios.

attachment.php

Not sure if this one's gonna end up firewood, or something else...:msp_confused:
I gotta lot of catching up to do!!!
But I got about 3 cords worth of cookies to burn up next winter...

289678d1365608721-dry-jpg

Amen. Stacked so tight does it dry OK in the middle?

That is a good question. Ninety percent of it is standing-dead, beetle-killed white spruce that was pretty dry when I cut it. There is a little bit of wet birch on the outside of the pile and I am interested to see how well it dries out.

That is a good question. Ninety percent of it is standing-dead, beetle-killed white spruce that was pretty dry when I cut it. There is a little bit of wet birch on the outside of the pile and I am interested to see how well it dries out.

Well? You got it under cover and well aired... The stuff on the outside will be excellent come Sept. or Oct. when you start the furnace up!!
Happy burning...

From
View attachment 290542

To
View attachment 290543

98% oak and 2% cherry.

Got around 4 cords already split and stacked in February. This should be around 9 cords. Splitting it all with the x27.
Using around 4-4.5 cords a year so should have enough for 3 years now. But starting again in September, should have enough for 5 years by the end of 2013.

I thot that wood and woodshed looked rather Alaskan.
I'm in Glennallen. As long as the birch isn't in the center it should be fine. . I like to keep a sled wide walkway down the middle of the shed
. It gets better ventilation and is a good way to split things up. But
You do loose some volume. Its wetter in McCarthy than here, but still quite dry.

Full woodshed plus a little extra

2nlaem0.jpg

Just finished filling the woodshed on Sun. Each section is 9.5 ft wide, 6 ft high on the outside rows, 7 ft high on the inside rows, 5 rows in each section. The rows outside along the garage are 25 feet long and about 4.5 feet high.

Last edited:
2nlaem0.jpg

Just finished filling the woodshed on Sun. Each section is 9.5 ft wide, 6 ft high on the outside rows, 7 ft high on the inside rows, 5 rows in each section. The rows outside along the garage are 25 feet long and about 4.5 feet high.

man, thats packed!

From
View attachment 290542

To
View attachment 290543

98% oak and 2% cherry.

Got around 4 cords already split and stacked in February. This should be around 9 cords. Splitting it all with the x27.
Using around 4-4.5 cords a year so should have enough for 3 years now. But starting again in September, should have enough for 5 years by the end of 2013.

Looking good, keep it up! Keep chipping away at it, eventually you get wayyyy ahead!

2nlaem0.jpg

Very nice!

I thot that wood and woodshed looked rather Alaskan.
I'm in Glennallen. As long as the birch isn't in the center it should be fine. . I like to keep a sled wide walkway down the middle of the shed
. It gets better ventilation and is a good way to split things up. But
You do loose some volume. Its wetter in McCarthy than here, but still quite dry.

Just came through Glennallen today on my way to the big city. Haven't burned much birch, so I'm interested to see how it works out. Sure glad its cooled off a bit. I'd like to keep some good snow cover for a few more weeks. We still have about 17 inches out here in McCarthy. Sled-wide walkway through the middle of the shed is a cool idea.

Back