Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a good idea? Then the dogs may want to sleep on the bench, lol!!

Anyone who has shepherds knows- what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is theirs...

I'm on my way to deliver a rick of wood. One more to go after that. Of course it has to rain while I am loading.

Got the place cleaned up a little today and noticed how nice the stacks looked, so I took a couple of pics. Makes me toasty warm just thinking about it. About 4 cord total. I burn about two cord a year.
The back yard. Mostly black locust. A little honey locust and Norway maple.
View attachment 307387
View attachment 307386
The front yard. Sugar maple, black walnut, black cherry and ash.
View attachment 307385
No pics of the willow, poplar and cottonwood for the shoulders. About another half cord.
Bring it on!!

Beautiful pups you have there. I miss my shepherd every day and it's been almost thirty years. She was way too smart for her own good. We got into a lot of trouble together.

Last edited:
af7pli.jpg
23l0fp0.jpg
over 100 cords now

wow! that's a lot of wood split with hand feed hyd splitters! i wont complain about doing 100 cords on my processior with a conveyor. need to put grapple on cat to help load logs. less lifting on those big ones chunks! Haha

Last edited:
Sure are some nice piles here! I'm pretty tired of stacking at the moment so started working on some other things (little loading crane).

I've got enough wood in the woodshed for '13-'14 and '14-'15, but I've made a back-up pile just in case. It's 2.5 cords of oak. Still got 5 cords of oak sitting around that need to be split and stacked.

307412d1375609979-30072013113-jpg

A test

View attachment 307414

Working on posting pics. More recent pics coming soon. Thanks for your patients.

The 'wood shed" is a work in progress. Recently re-did the roof by installing PT 2x8x16 to achieve a 2 foot center and installed purlins on a 2 foot center. Hopefully the metal will be installed before snow flies.
The shed is 16'x25' with a 7' rear wall and 8' front wall. Also ran power from the stove for a light..but I prefer to light up with a Coleman lantern

Last edited:
View attachment 307585View attachment 307586View attachment 307587View attachment 307588View attachment 307590

Basic 4x4 post construction. The walls are covered in a tarp used by CO-OP, very tough, waterproof, free and,,'convertible". Something I hope any midget canukistanian could be proud of!

Don't know if it will ever be finished as it still needs band boards around the bottom edge of the walls, nailers on a 2' center up the walls(for anchoring the metal when I get it),,you get the idea.
I wrapped the inside walls in 1x6" rough sawn oak, spaced 6-10 inches apart for keeping the firewood off the outside walls,,a work in progress.
I've got an honest 10 full cords, and then some of mixed varieties in there, it's better than half full.
It has a concrete floor which is cracked here and there, I stack all of the wood on landscape timbers as the floor will seep water in heavy, prolonged rains.
Thanks for lookin'. peace.

Last edited:
My Set-up

Just built the 8x10 leanto shed to the left of the stove. It will hold about 3.75 cord and I can get another 3 cord next to the stove. Gonna build another 8x8 in front of the 8x10 to stack my 3 ft cut lengths...Work in Progress...Just stacked all that wood I had left over from last year in the new shed today...Im tired...:(

More photos

Here are the rest of the pics. Last year was my first full year at this house. I think I burned about 10-12 cords of wood for the winter..It averages out about 2.4 cords a month(more like 3 cord a month for the coldest months)...I was scrambling around for wood at the end of February and early March..That wont happen this year..I got plenty

Last edited:
I like your set up, but have to ask about putting your OWB under cover. Makes me wonder about setting your whole stack on fire.

Philbert
I hear you Philbert but the leanto for the stove was already there when I bought the house. I thought the same thing when I first saw it.I never owned a OWB before but after operating it for a year and a half I am very confident that I would not do that .Some people actually fully enclose these units inside a shed with the wood.

I like your set up, but have to ask about putting your OWB under cover. Makes me wonder about setting your whole stack on fire.

Philbert

I have seen some inside sheds, too and dont have a problem with that. I would be a bit concerned about a stray coal or spark igniting the wood when it is that close to the door.:msp_scared:
Keeping a close watch and keeping the area very clean would be a priority, I think.
Love the wood piles, log piles and the whole set-up, though. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Ron

I decided to use some extra fence posts to make a rick for my fire pit. All the odd and goofy pieces are headed here from now on so I don't end up with a pile of junk in my splitting area!

null_zps49fcc57c.jpg

Decided to burn some of the punk wood and just plain ugly pieces of wood today. Have to get the pit cleaned out and this is the best way I know how... Besides I have a pot of Italian meatballs going and nothing to do for another hour until they're ready!

I managed to get a small ash and a decent sized maple yesterday for my stove stacks.

Latest posts

Back