Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
showoff! HAHAHAHAHA

You are a pro now?? double show off!

HAHAHAHAHA Looking good man, finest kind!

Hahaha! Trying to be!

P.S. The Toyota also has 4:10 gears in it too. Stock Toyota transmission in it. Can't kill that trans.

Nice looking wood piles! I just have never understood why people noodle these things. That's what the log splitter is for, but each to their own. I wish wood was so easy to find around where I live.

You must be an Olympic weight lifter or something :p The only way I can even move a 300# green Oak round is with a Peavy.

You are living dangerously, girl, I would probably loose my balance, fall off the stump and crack my head.:msp_scared::dizzy:
I do like splitting by hand, though.:rock:

Ron

What, you mean balancing on top of a 32 inch thick round while swinging a razor sharp axe is dangerous? (I cut 16 inches off one of the four footers to make my steps so I could pretend I was only splitting a 16 inch round instead of a 48) Now you tell me! :dizzy:

Last season I split about 9 cord by hand but I did noodle some nasty knotted stringy black birch. My neighbor offered to let me use his splitter, but I declined. I just seem to find it more satisfying to do most all of it by hand.

I ended the season with my piles looking like this. That first pile to the left is nothing but punky wood on the outside filled with yard debris and other smaller/shorter pieces of punky wood. I added a layer of dirt on the top and planted flowers in it. The pile to the right is my first attempt at a round pile, and the center pile is my second attempt. The stuff between the piles is a double row of kindling. Anyway, the two main piles equal about 6 cord and the other three cord are in the shed.
IMG_1026_zpsc857ed34.jpg

And what those piles look like now. (they had to be covered due to the excessive rains this year)
IMG_1616_zpsa5c5de71.jpg

You must be an Olympic weight lifter or something :p The only way I can even move a 300# green Oak round is with a Peavy.

Naw but I can roll them around some. I bring the splitter to the wood, not the wood to the splitter. Once splitter is close enough I roll the round a little and then push it over onto the footplate of the splitter. Then I split it in half with the splitter, usually on first try, then use a bar to move the round to where I need it for the next split. Simple and easy.

Naw but I can roll them around some. I bring the splitter to the wood, not the wood to the splitter. Once splitter is close enough I roll the round a little and then push it over onto the footplate of the splitter. Then I split it in half with the splitter, usually on first try, then use a bar to move the round to where I need it for the next split. Simple and easy.

video or it never happened :p

still easier, I believe, for most of us...and a lot faster...to noodle a 3-4' diameter, 300-500# round with an 066/24" bar into manageable chunks that can more easily be muscled to the splitter.

still easier, I believe, for most of us...and a lot faster...to noodle a 3-4' diameter, 300-500# round with an 066/24" bar into manageable chunks that can more easily be muscled to the splitter.

If it is oak I would just flop it over and hand split it where it sits. That is how I have done big rounds I couldn't move. Normally I wouldn't split right on the ground, but..that is what a cheap maul is for anyway. Oak splits easy, could have a three foot round half split before the first noodle cut is done. Now sweetgum or hickory, etc, stuff that is harder to split, ya, noodle it on edge.

I'm with the woodwhacker on this one...
Sometimes I'll even noodle 4x4 pieces out of the big rounds...
The only time I pick up the fiskars anymore, is to drive wedges it seems...
I think I've gotten a bit lazy...

Hedgerow, I don't think it's called lazy if you utilize the tools at your disposal to save wear and tear on your body. Its called working smarter.

Hedgerow, I don't think it's called lazy if you utilize the tools at your disposal to save wear and tear on your body. Its called working smarter.

Maybe we could call it justification for owning a 7900, 9010, 372, 385, among the dozen or so others...
Takes a lot of noodles to warrant all that horsepower...
My wife has given up on me...
:msp_confused:

I feel bad for most of ya, I just roll the bigguns out of the tractor bucket and onto the beam. 10,000 lbs of mobile log lift. Makes a good table as well.

I'm about to spend my afternoon starting to throw some wood into the basement for winter. It's been bone dry here, and the wood's good and ready. Maybe some pics later.

not the Oak we have out here...rarely do I get to cut up something straight :p Even the Tan Oaks that are essentially poles with lots of small branches can be a pain. The other 4 varieties on the property are all pretty gnarly.

Then noodle away! Every boy needs a 90!!

See how that rhymes, it is fate! ninety, gnarly...

Back