Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you guys do to deal with snow?? We just got a huge snow dump and all my rounds are just covered. My split pile is covered also but has a tarp on it at least.

Worst part is that before the snowfall, we had freezing rain. All while I was gone visiting family. Now my ATV just spins the tires when I try to move the snow to get some space to work again. :(
Keep it covered up with something waterproof yet disposable as it may crack and break when removing in the winter. Nothing worse that icy, snowy rounds. And that first slush snow of the season loves to freeze to the splits.

What do you guys do to deal with snow?? We just got a huge snow dump and all my rounds are just covered. My split pile is covered also but has a tarp on it at least.

Worst part is that before the snowfall, we had freezing rain. All while I was gone visiting family. Now my ATV just spins the tires when I try to move the snow to get some space to work again. :(
I used to cut in the winter, but as I get older I don't like digging it out of 3-4 ft of snow. This odd year is an exception but we have snow now.

I used to cut in the winter, but as I get older I don't like digging it out of 3-4 ft of snow. This odd year is an exception but we have snow now.
I hear yah. I do it out of necessity. I can never get ahead with a day job. It takes about 15 cord to get through the winter here. It was good when my son came home on leave he helped me blow through about 3 cord in a couple hours last week.

Brian

I hear yah. I do it out of necessity. I can never get ahead with a day job. It takes about 15 cord to get through the winter here. It was good when my son came home on leave he helped me blow through about 3 cord in a couple hours last week.

Brian
I work at it spring summer and fall. Longer daylight too.

Some of you folks probably get more/deeper snow than I get here. If my rounds are still spread out, I wait till a sunny day, then take a broom to them and let the sun melt whatever is sitting in the grain.

P1070544.JPG

I try to keep access packed down, rather than plowed out of the way. Usually a long Winter, easier to make a couple passes every few days than to plow.

P1070621.JPG

Last year I cobbled together a simple sledge for pulling one round at a time across the packed snow to a more convenient place to split it.

I'm hoping to burn this wood next winter. Is that unrealistic? Wouldn't it have to be stacked by now for it to be good for next winter? When's the approx latest I can stack?

I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. I have a mix of hard wood that has been split and stacked uncovered ( until October) for 14 months and I still get water hissing outta the wood. It was stacked in full sun as well. Part of the problem I have is my wood burner is about three times to big for my house so u have to close it down pretty tight or I'll roast. My real issue is I can't get far enough ahead on wood. I'm planning on an addition and an outdoor burner. In ohio the new epa burners is all I can get( new). I'm just at a loss with what to do. The epa stoves need dry wood. Apparently I don't live in an area with the climate to dry it quickly. I'm frustrated because I don't have the time to get three years ahead( that and I got a good buzz going at the moment). I'll post some pics again after this extended weekend.

I'm hoping to burn this wood next winter. Is that unrealistic? Wouldn't it have to be stacked by now for it to be good for next winter? When's the approx latest I can stack?
If you are planning on burning oak, no. Otherwise several of the faster burning species like ash and silver maple will dry in a couple of months.

Keep it covered up with something waterproof yet disposable as it may crack and break when removing in the winter. Nothing worse that icy, snowy rounds. And that first slush snow of the season loves to freeze to the splits.
What he said. You can get old billboard sign material for a pretty fair price and that stuff is thick and last well.
When you are in the early stages of getting stocked up for a few yrs ahead you can tarp then untarp when you know it's going to be rain free. It will get it dry a lot quicker than leaving it sit outside uncovered.

svk tired of being the referee:hi:

If you are planning on burning oak, no. Otherwise several of the faster burning species like ash and silver maple will dry in a couple of months.
Agreed again. If you can find some dead standing ash anytime between now and spring that would help.
It will be dry in time for next yr for sure.
As svk said oak is a difficult one to dry and is very disappointing to burn when to wet. Dead oak is awesome though.

Latest posts

Back