Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure our Dr Zog even surfs, let alone has a stash of sex wax.

I've tried it and done some, but not a lot. Most of my wipeouts came skateboarding, the best wipeout was I made it part way down mt. wachusett in massachusetts, I think I was rollin around 40 or so before I got the wobbles and went off into the gravel. Plenty of rash on that one...

Nice thing is, the color is the tree's reaction to injury... so the boxelder bugs, storm damage, etc. that they're susceptible to actually increases your odds of finding the flame pattern wood.
Interesting. Sure makes for some awesome grain. I can understand it being prized by woodworking folks.

I think I read you need to seal it with something to preserve the bright red? Otherwise it will fade somewhat.
Was wondering that because many of our timbers here will fade, and I was also contemplating how lucky we are to often see the wood at its best, fresh off the log. Quite a privilege sometimes. I love it when there is a hunk of log that nobody really rates, and then some wood booger with an eye for such things and/or a penchant for gambling/speculating opens it up to reveal the beauty within.

I've tried it and done some, but not a lot. Most of my wipeouts came skateboarding, the best wipeout was I made it part way down mt. wachusett in massachusetts, I think I was rollin around 40 or so before I got the wobbles and went off into the gravel. Plenty of rash on that one...
Hahaha. Now that's a painful memory I can relate to. The best of skateboard jackass memories I have is actually of a friend in the 'hood. We lived on a fairly steep, busy road, and 'twas a right of passage from small fry to dude to try to make it down to the bottom of the road without hitting anything or falling off. A car pulled out of a driveway in front of him and I can still picture it in slo-mo in my head. He jumped off the board and was running so desperately to catch up with his speed, taking giant steps, legs moving like lean-screaming pistons, but he just couldn't get his legs back under his body and full superman-ed into a face plant of epic proportions, coming to a screaming heap about 50 feet further down the road.

One of the most horrifying but hilarious things I'd ever seen as a kid. I can't help but LOL whenever thinking about it and the look of terror on his face milliseconds from kissing asphalt.

He'd say the same about me slipping off the peddles of my bmx on a landing, dry retching and nearly passing out from the pain of nuts vs bike frame- we were both in tears at the time, for very different reasons though.

*editing to add* When I got him home, t-shirt soaked with blood, face like he'd been attacked with a knife, no skin on elbows, knees, some toes, and large patches of his face AWOL, well, my ears rang for the rest of the day from the abuse his mom levelled at me, as if I'd attacked him. He wasn't allowed to associate with me for months after that. She sure was a nut case.

Hahaha. Now that's a painful memory I can relate to. The best of skateboard jackass memories I have is actually of a friend in the 'hood. We lived on a fairly steep, busy road, and 'twas a right of passage from small fry to dude to try to make it down to the bottom of the road without hitting anything. A car pulled out of a driveway in front of him and I can still picture it in slo-mo in my head. He jumped off the board and was running so desperately to catch up with his speed, taking giant steps, legs moving like a lean screaming pistons, but he just couldn't get his legs back under his body and full superman-ed into a face plant of epic proportions, coming to a screaming heap about 50 feet further down the road.

One of the most horrifying but hilarious things I've ever seen. He'd say the same about me slipping off the peddles of my bmx on a landing.
I can imagine it.

I chopped down a four inch diameter "widowmaker" with my hatchet when I was about 8. It tipped sideways and clocked my buddy who was 6 right on the head. Thought I killed him for about 30 seconds.

I can imagine it.

I chopped down a four inch diameter "widowmaker" with my hatchet when I was about 8. It tipped sideways and clocked my buddy who was 6 right on the head. Thought I killed him for about 30 seconds.
What a great lesson about consequences, etc. One that cotton-wooled kids these days miss out on. Reminds me about a school here that makes it its job to allow kids to be kids and the natural born risk-takers amongst them to climb (and occasionally fall) from trees, etc. I believe there's a waiting list to get one's kid into that school, but it is under perpetual threat of being closed down by health and safety idjits.

@chipper1
Yep! Big muskie caught on a top water bait. There aren't many things more fun than that in my opinion!
That had to be one heck of an explosion when that thing hit the surface.
Never caught or fished for one, but a lake about 10 miles from me has quite a few in it.
One time I was setting up a fishing trip for the kids at church and went to a small pond(maybe 50ft around),
I thought it would be easy for the kids to fish. It was at night and I looked into the water with my flashlight and right there was a 30" muskie.
What the heck was it doing in there:surprised3:. They probably don't have a problem with overpopulation of bluegills :D.

That had to be one heck of an explosion when that thing hit the surface.
Never caught or fished for one, but a lake about 10 miles from me has quite a few in it.
One time I was setting up a fishing trip for the kids at church and went to a small pond(maybe 50ft around),
I thought it would be easy for the kids to fish. It was at night and I looked into the water with my flashlight and right there was a 30" muskie.
What the heck was it doing in there:surprised3:. They probably don't have a problem with overpopulation of bluegills :D.
We get some monsters up here. The biggest I've been in the boat with is 43.5". But that's a minnow compared to some I've seen.

Back