Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm calling you out, Shane... You started this thread & 32 pages later, NO pics of your wood stash yet?
Unless I missed something, all you've given us is a few skidder pics & a couple of the "Yota".

Let's see yours...

Liked.

Repped.

Agreed.

While I'm here, here's a shot from today, just shy of 3 cords of oak in the main stack, and a cord of pine "squarewood" in the background. I should get the rest of that bark pile burnt tomorrow before work.

attachment.php

Looks like a good start to me. We build ours on skids, but that's because we get them for free at the
local builder's supply. When they die, we just cut them up and add them to the fire ring pile.

Most of mine goes on pallets, but a CL scrounge yielded 284 linear feet of PT 6x6. Evidently, the heartwood doesn't absorb the PT too well & they still rot over time. Since they are no good for building, I'm stacking wood on them.

Most of mine goes on pallets, but a CL scrounge yielded 284 linear feet of PT 6x6. Evidently, the heartwood doesn't absorb the PT too well & they still rot over time. Since they are no good for building, I'm stacking wood on them.

Good deal on the PT. We have some PT scrounged from the old deck, Mostly 2-by's. It's the old stuff rated for ground
contact/burial. We put that under the skids, or just use a double layer to stack our "other than stove wood" stuff on. It's
still in pretty good shape for a 30+ year old deck. Sadly, I have around 320 sq. ft. of 5/4 hedge from the old deck boards.
It has way too many #6 galvanized ardox nails in it to mess with. It's going in the burn pit.

I'm calling you out, Shane... You started this thread & 32 pages later, NO pics of your wood stash yet?
Unless I missed something, all you've given us is a few skidder pics & a couple of the "Yota".

Let's see yours...

I posted a few pics a while back in the first few pages of this thread. I will deffinetly take some more today though.

Good deal on the PT. We have some PT scrounged from the old deck, Mostly 2-by's. It's the old stuff rated for ground
contact/burial. We put that under the skids, or just use a double layer to stack our "other than stove wood" stuff on. It's
still in pretty good shape for a 30+ year old deck. Sadly, I have around 320 sq. ft. of 5/4 hedge from the old deck boards.
It has way too many #6 galvanized ardox nails in it to mess with. It's going in the burn pit.

I was contracted years ago to demo an inground pool & it's rotten Cedar deck. I discovered that all of the sub-structure was PT. Not sure how many board feet I scrounged, but it filled a 30 yd. dumpster.

And yeah, I know what you mean about the nails.

I was contracted years ago to demo an inground pool & it's rotten Cedar deck. I discovered that all of the sub-structure was PT. Not sure how many board feet I scrounged, but it filled a 30 yd. dumpster.

And yeah, I know what you mean about the nails.

Yea, used PT is not good for much, but it makes sense to me to recycle it for woodpile projects. The old stuff
probably still has a lot of arsenic in it.

My Mrs. dad built the deck. Most of the lumber, except for the PT underpinnings, were cut on his WoodMiser.
He cut a lot of hedge. Got it free from a few local farmers. You can put hedge in the ground a long time.
I think it will outlive PT.

Yea, used PT is not good for much, but it makes sense to me to recycle it for woodpile projects. The old stuff
probably still has a lot of arsenic in it.

My Mrs. dad built the deck. Most of the lumber, except for the PT underpinnings, were cut on his WoodMiser.
He cut a lot of hedge. Got it free from a few local farmers. You can put hedge in the ground a long time.
I think it will outlive PT.

Not much Hedge around here, but plenty of Black Locust. I'm thinking of having some of it milled into posts for my woodshed.

Not much Hedge around here, but plenty of Black Locust. I'm thinking of having some of it milled into posts for my woodshed.

Next best thing for rot resistance right there...
That's what we used for corner posts in MI...
There were no Hedge trees there...
Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hedge tree here...:msp_thumbup:

I'm not specifically familiar with Black Locust, but from what I've heard it's pretty tough.

Next best thing for rot resistance right there...
That's what we used for corner posts in MI...
There were no Hedge trees there...
Can't swing a dead cat without hitting a hedge tree here...:msp_thumbup:

I like hedge for the wood stove. It burns a long time, mixed with just about anything else. I believe it has the
highest btu/cord rating of any native tree, somewhere around 30 mbtu/cord. It's heavy. Like 4200 lbs/cord.
But being a MO fella, you already knew that. I'm assuming you have a good stockpile on hand.

This might keep ya busy for a little longer...

Those are between 24 and 30 inches long...
OWB customer...

Yea, we'd have to buck it all again. We try to shoot for 16"-18", anything longer is a beech to get
into the wood stove. Nice lookin' load of wood though. Is that a goose-neck?

Nah, it's all really straight-grained. I split half of it w/ the X25 in about 40 min.

Straight-grained is always good. I've never seen a piece of straight-grained hedge, and most of the
oak we get is pretty gnarly too. Our splitter ain't real fast, but I still have all my fingers. But we're
in no hurry. We're probably good for 3 winters at the moment. We'll probably pick up a few more
trailer loads in the next couple months.

Last edited:
Yea, we'd have to buck it all again. We try to shoot for 16"-18", anything longer is a beech to get
into the wood stove. Nice lookin' load of wood though. Is that a goose-neck?

Yup...

Gotta get me one of those.

Well? I've delivered as much as 3 cords of hedge on it before, but that was insane... I try to keep it around 2 or so... Green Hedge is pretty heavy... Hell, who am I kidding, dry Hedge is heavy!!!
But yes, I love gooseneck trailers...

Well? I've delivered as much as 3 cords of hedge on it before, but that was insane... I try to keep it around 2 or so... Green Hedge is pretty heavy... Hell, who am I kidding, dry Hedge is heavy!!!
But yes, I love gooseneck trailers...

Yea, it's heavy alright. My chart says 4200 lbs/cord. I assume that's dry.

I reckon this old relic ought to pull one ok. My all-purpose "getter".

attachment.php

I wouldn't call that nice truck a relic. What is it a 99 in great condition.

Latest posts

Back