Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning's haul of Chestnut Oak. Not woodpile yet, more like raw material.

attachment.php

Very nice load there Steve, That is some thick bark on that! Don't think we have that around here. Repped ya!

Very nice load there Steve, That is some thick bark on that! Don't think we have that around here. Repped ya!

Chestnut Oak isn't exactly common here, but not what you'd call scarce either. That bark hangs on, too. I have some that was split small & stacked right after Irene-- in full sun all day, it's still not letting go of the bark.

You betcha... V-10?

I wouldn't call that nice truck a relic. What is it a 99 in great condition.

It's a diesel, very early '99 Superduty cab/chassis, Knapheide bed with built-in gooseneck hitch, and
pintle/2-5/8 ball hitch on the back, couple of underbed boxes. It's in pretty decent shape for it's age,
around 165K on the dial. It's plated for 16K GVW. I can haul just about anything that will fit on the
bed. Rides like a truck.

13z9vyx.jpg

It don't get THAT freakin' cold on Long Giland. Share the wealth ;o)

Not to be a butthole , but does this wood season okay stacked like this? I must be too worried about packing it in too tight. That means I can stack more in one place. Off to the splitter.

Not as well as good single stacks, but when you do stuff "en'Mass" like Tom is doing, it's gonna have to be good enough...
Not enough real estate to get that much wood split up and ready without piling it... Not to mention the time factor of stacking it...

Not to be a butthole , but does this wood season okay stacked like this? I must be too worried about packing it in too tight. That means I can stack more in one place. Off to the splitter.

Not as well as good single stacks, but when you do stuff "en'Mass" like Tom is doing, it's gonna have to be good enough...
Not enough real estate to get that much wood split up and ready without piling it... Not to mention the time factor of stacking it...

Yep, and a lot depends on weather and such. We stack our "green" a little loose, outside, in full sun. After heating season
we move the "pre-seasoned" green into the woodshed, and stack it a lot tighter. It's ready to go come winter. That works for
us. Your circumstances may be different.

yes its in full sun and some thing about the salt water next to me 6 to 8 months its ready but that pile will not be sold till next winter so that's 15 months from now

I put all mine in the barn till I can't park in there any more, then start making piles outside... But no Hackberry goes outside.
Had a bad experience with that last year...
:bang:

Thanks for the responses. I just went out and stacked another cord of the last of the pile I split six months ago. I was surprised how far the wood had seasoned in that beehive like pile. If I had to I could probably burn that cord at the end of the season in March. I also gathered up all of my odds. ends and short pieces. I give those to all of my friends for their outdoor fire pits. Tomorrow I am dropping off 12 cu ft. (Over sized wheelbarrow) full of this in exchange for a double steel framed hammock with all new bedding. Man skills really pay off when you are surrounded by the metrosexuals of suburban DC.

Back