Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This past weekend was shotgun deer season in our neck of the woods. So I had taken the Split-Fire back to the barn. Friday afternoon a thunderstorm rolled in the split wood pile is where my other picture was taken that I posted just above on the 15th.
Mother Nature made a bit more future firewood.

IMG_20161120_130954432_HDR.jpg IMG_20161118_154502962.jpg IMG_20161118_154247059_HDR.jpg
That is the 2nd time that tree had been hit. The one I was splitting had also been hit. I was only about 200 yards away when it hit getting of the deer stand. I about need a change of pants........ LOL

This past weekend was shotgun deer season in our neck of the woods. So I had taken the Split-Fire back to the barn. Friday afternoon a thunderstorm rolled in the split wood pile is where my other picture was taken that I posted just above on the 15th.

View attachment 538807 View attachment 538808 View attachment 538810
That is the 2nd time that tree had been hit. The one I was splitting had also been hit. I was only about 200 yards away when it hit getting of the deer stand. I about need a change of pants........ LOL
Man I bet that was a little scary better you than me lol

View attachment 538807 View attachment 538808 View attachment 538810
I've had that happen a couple of times. Once was about 75 yards away and it sounded like the storm was a long ways away.

Definitely a "holy sit!" moment.

A start on my 2017/2018 firewood. I wound up with maybe 10 or 12 logs about 8' long each and dropped them down below my house. Earlier this week I cut them into rounds and today I started hauling them up here to stack off the ground over the winter. Kind of nice having the kubota to haul them and lift them in place!

Next summer they will be ready to split and be stacked. I usually split them right there and haul them around the corner to the woodshed behind the shop.

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

Does it dry fairly well that way, still in the round?

Normally yes. It gets sun right there (when the sun is out) and a breeze when it's blowing. Doug fir dries pretty quickly but this stuff is larger than I normally cut. A lot of it is 20" plus but I'm not one to turn easy firewood down! I'm pretty confident it will be ready next summer but if it's still wet I'll split it and restack it where it is. It will be ready by fall.

A start on my 2017/2018 firewood. I wound up with maybe 10 or 12 logs about 8' long each and dropped them down below my house. Earlier this week I cut them into rounds and today I started hauling them up here to stack off the ground over the winter. Kind of nice having the kubota to haul them and lift them in place!

Next summer they will be ready to split and be stacked. I usually split them right there and haul them around the corner to the woodshed behind the shop.

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

To me when I look at that, I see one heck of an awesome noodling setup to get things more manageable. Every thing is set up perfect.

Lots of impressive stuff on here that is hard to measure up to, but here's my "factory" and woodpile. As I said in the chainsaw thread, it's my first year and I think this is about 8 to 9 cords currently, all of which was obtained via "Free" craigslist postings.
1z3uy6d.jpg

Lots of impressive stuff on here that is hard to measure up to, but here's my "factory" and woodpile. As I said in the chainsaw thread, it's my first year and I think this is about 8 to 9 cords currently, all of which was obtained via "Free" craigslist postings.
1z3uy6d.jpg
Can't say that I've seen a lot of firewood processing/storage facilities that use a broom to keep the area clean... :clap:

1z3uy6d.jpg
I like your blocks and racks...looks like a pretty slick system.

Nice and neat.

Could you please show some closer up pics of how you set up the racks with the cinder blocks please? That's a great idea. Thanks

I will get some pics up later today once the sun is up.

Each of those racks consists of five cinder blocks, four 8' landscape timbers laying on the blocks to form the base, and two 8' 2x4s, each cut in half to make the ends. That results in a cost of between $25 and $30 for a rack that is 16' long, usable over and over again, wherever you'd like to set it up, without tools. Even less when you can scrounge up the materials for free from craigslist LOL!

If making the rack on earth I'd put a cap block under the cinder blocks so the blocks don't sink into the earth unevenly and risk the whole rack getting wobbly or even falling over, but I skip that in the interest of cost as my racks are all on a large asphalt pad behind my garage so the blocks aren't going anywhere.

It's been pointed out that concrete does wick moisture from the ground, but I believe the flexibility and tool-less setup/takedown of this system far outweigh the small amount of moisture that may get wicked into the bottom row of splits, as that water would have to make its way not only through the cinder blocks but also the landscape timbers. This is unlikely, at least in my case on a slightly angled hard surface that drains rapidly.

And while anything is better than stacking split wood directly on the ground, I'll use this system all day long and twice on Sundays vs stacking wood on slowly rotting pallets, especially if you can find the pieces and parts for free over time on craigslist as mentioned above.

Have a great day gents. Pics to follow later...

Back